Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I ordered a HID kit of eBay and these things are BRIGHT! I got the 55w 8000k set, and the install was super easy. The kit I have has the HID for the low beam, and a regular halogen for the high beam. The problem is, the low's are way brighter than the high beams. I know I'll have to adjust them to a lower angle, and I'll still probably get flashed a lot. I guess what I'm asking is this "normal" for a HID/Halogen set up? Does the kit from DDM have this problem?

Also, when I took out the old headlights, there was a rubber gasket piece that I pulled out before pulling the headlights out. I couldn't figure out how to get it back on when putting the new ones in. So, I just left it off. Will not having this in be a problem?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 35w make a much better low beam and even then you will get flashed. To give you a general idea a normal low beam is 1000ish lumens, high beam is 1300-1500ish, a DDM 35w hid is 3200ish a ddm 55 watt is 5000ish.

Lumens are not the best measure for light, but it is the most common and gives you a relative comparison

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Also, when I took out the old headlights, there was a rubber gasket piece that I pulled out before pulling the headlights out. I couldn't figure out how to get it back on when putting the new ones in. So, I just left it off. Will not having this in be a problem?
The rubber boot helps to keep the connection weatherproof so without it you might see some corrosion in time.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
If you bought a kit that has a halogen high bean then you probably wont use the high beam very much because of the difference in light output. The kit from DDM uses a magnet to adjust the bulb in the housing that changes the angle and reflection pattern, not sure if the light actually get brighter or not.

The problem with the DDM and other cheap kits is that about half the time they dont work properly out of the box and you have to send parts back and forth till it all works. My kit is over a year old and has just started occasionally turning off then back on while driving down the highway....thats fun!

The HIDs are way better and even with the problems I still recommend them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes the HID's are a lot brighter than the stock headlights in both forms. Did your kit come with a metal shroud around the hid light? If so make sure you dont remove it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well the reason you get flashed a lot is b/c the stock housings are not made for an HID setup... so there is some scatter which may be offensive to some drivers. Re-adjusting them down a bit will help a lot. But in a way, yes, it's normal to have this happen with HIDs in the stock housing. If you upgrade to a projection housing the scatter will go away and you will not blind other drivers as the light will be more focused...

As for the boot, some HID kits do not work with it. Mine does not work so I left it off as well. Everything still seems to be clean and tidy back there after a few months, but I may modify the boot to get it to fit just for piece of mind...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just did my HID swap today and had some trouble with the boot as well. I figured out that you have to put the shroud in the socket first with the wire holder in place, followed by the boot and then the bulb and pigtail. It took a little wiggling to get it in right, but it will fit.

Also, you might have a fogging problem without the boot in place since the shroud doesn't have a seal. I would try to put it back on, but that's just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts