Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this forum. I recently bought a 2008 FJ, the previous owner installed led headlight bulbs and headlight buckets, stock headlight plugs still in place. Problem i'm having is the low and high beams are on all the time, when i turn on the high beams the indicator on the dash lights up but no change in the headlights, i pulled one of the bulbs out and sure enough the high and low beam led's are all lit up. Is it the led bulbs or something else? any help would be appreciated.

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
G'day and welcome to the forum.
It could be the LED bulbs....

The stock headlights are H4 dual filament style headlights. And when you flick to high beam , the low beam should switch off.
So if the set up in your J has been altered ..with LED headlights etc... its possible the bulbs are at fault...or headlight itself is not designed as a dual / switched headlight.
I'd start by trying to identify the headlight maker / model ..and research this... and confirm its capable of being operated as a dual lamp setup.
Also check the bulb, make sure its a dual lamp set up...
You may have to replace them... all depends what you find out about the headlights n bulbs.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'day and welcome to the forum.
It could be the LED bulbs....

The stock headlights are H4 dual filament style headlights. And when you flick to high beam , the low beam should switch off.
So if the set up in your J has been altered ..with LED headlights etc... its possible the bulbs are at fault...or headlight itself is not designed as a dual / switched headlight.
I'd start by trying to identify the headlight maker / model ..and research this... and confirm its capable of being operated as a dual lamp setup.
Also check the bulb, make sure its a dual lamp set up...
You may have to replace them... all depends what you find out about the headlights n bulbs.

Cheers
Baz
Ok, thanks for the response, uppon further investigation i can find no name or any identifying marks on the led bulbs but looks like the buckets/reflectors are stock and they just stuck some led bulbs in, I'm going to get some regular type bulbs tomorrow and see if things work correctly then. The led's are nice and bright, but the previous owner just aimed the lights down, would be nice if they worked correctly but they are probably some cheap led's. Thanks for the help.

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Ok, thanks for the response, uppon further investigation i can find no name or any identifying marks on the led bulbs but looks like the buckets/reflectors are stock and they just stuck some led bulbs in, I'm going to get some regular type bulbs tomorrow and see if things work correctly then. The led's are nice and bright, but the previous owner just aimed the lights down, would be nice if they worked correctly but they are probably some cheap led's. Thanks for the help.

Kosh
G'day,
If the H4 - 3 pin connector is still in place on the wiring harness ...it should be easy to swap them back to Halogen.
Good luck,
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'day,
If the H4 - 3 pin connector is still in place on the wiring harness ...it should be easy to swap them back to Halogen.
Good luck,
Cheers
Baz

Well no joy, got some standard headlight bulbs but still high beams are always on, is there a relay that may be stuck or something?

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Well no joy, got some standard headlight bulbs but still high beams are always on, is there a relay that may be stuck or something?

Kosh
G'day Mate,
Yes there is a relay and fuses in the engine bay fuse box ... definitely worth checking them ...
Usually with a standard Yoda setup, the headlights are negatively switched, so if one headlight bulb blows...the other still works.
so you may not have a highbeam fuse, only a low beam fuse ..10 amps ..Left n right ...
unfortunately the relay is buried inside ..under the fuse box, and almost impossible to get to....
Let us know how you go...

cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
g'day,
did you swap both bulbs and test ?
Yoda are pedantic about things like that.... testing a single headlight ..may not work... have to test both
and does the dash indicator light work, showing them on hi ?

cheers
Baz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
g'day,
did you swap both bulbs and test ?
Yoda are pedantic about things like that.... testing a single headlight ..may not work... have to test both
and does the dash indicator light work, showing them on hi ?

cheers
Baz
The dash indicator goes on and off when i work the switch but the lights don't change, stuck all on.

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
The dash indicator goes on and off when i work the switch but the lights don't change, stuck all on.

Kosh
G'day,
Well that is indicative that the relay and wiring is working correctly.... the dash light wont light up if the right hand headlight is not connected...
check the fuses, but it sounds like a deeper issue is at play, and maybe the previous owner tinkered more than just plug n play LEd bulbs. could be time to see an auto electrician ....
Is there any sign of aftermarket wiring and a bridge ... taps ..etc... on the end of the H4 plug ... he may have tried to jump the power to both hi and lo ... so they both light up

Good luck
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G'day,
Well that is indicative that the relay and wiring is working correctly.... the dash light wont light up if the right hand headlight is not connected...
check the fuses, but it sounds like a deeper issue is at play, and maybe the previous owner tinkered more than just plug n play LEd bulbs. could be time to see an auto electrician ....
Is there any sign of aftermarket wiring and a bridge ... taps ..etc... on the end of the H4 plug ... he may have tried to jump the power to both hi and lo ... so they both light up

Good luck
cheers
Baz
No evidence of a bridge, looks stock at the plugs, talked to a toyota parts guy, he thinks it's the switch in the turn signal control,$100.00 part, but the dash indicator works correctly. the drl are on full low/high as well.

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
No evidence of a bridge, looks stock at the plugs, talked to a toyota parts guy, he thinks it's the switch in the turn signal control,$100.00 part, but the dash indicator works correctly. the drl are on full low/high as well.

Kosh
G'day,
I would not just go replacing $100 parts willy nilly...
It could be the switch.... but until you can know for sure its chasing a cats tail ....
Try disconnecting the DRLs..see if that changes anything and the fuses.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Look carefully for any evidence that the PO made any modifications to the wiring. Otherwise, the most likely scenario is either a short between the low-beam and high-beam "hot" wires somewhere in the harness, or a defective headlight switch. The centerpoint between the two filaments in each bulb is supposed to be grounded, so you might also check that there is less than 1 ohm resistance to ground at the center terminal of the headlight socket with the headlights turned "on".

In the 2007 service manual, lighting section, starting at page LI27, there is a detailed troubleshooting guide for the headlight circuit. As long as you have a multimeter, you should be able to follow the guide, which covers the relay, harness, etc.

Copies of the 2007 manual can be found online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G'day,
I would not just go replacing $100 parts willy nilly...
It could be the switch.... but until you can know for sure its chasing a cats tail ....
Try disconnecting the DRLs..see if that changes anything and the fuses.
Cheers
Baz
Yes i'm not into wasting money, i can hear the relay under the hood clicking when i work the switch. Still trying to search up how to disconnect the DRL's.

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Yes i'm not into wasting money, i can hear the relay under the hood clicking when i work the switch. Still trying to search up how to disconnect the DRL's.

Kosh
G'day,
Plenty of threads how to disable DRLS, we dont have them down under...so I am not sure the best method...
But I reckon you can figure it out
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I appreciate all the help and advice, I did disable the drl's but still hi/low on at same time, but at least i shouldn't burn up the bulbs too fast running them in the day anymore. been reading the service manual so maybe i'll figure it out, can't find any evidence the PO did any wire mod's that would cause this but i will continue working on it.

Kosh

·
Registered
266 Posts
I met similar issue that you had. And fixed after one year, after I became an expert in FJ lights system ?..

I will recommended you first use a Multimeter. And check the signals in the H4 stock plug. And conf the signal you have.

Second, How you disabled the DRL. The only best way is to unplug the Resistor behind the Driver side headlight.

I drowned a simple circuit for FJ cruiser Headlights circuit. I will upload it soon for you

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally figured it out, i pulled the DRL relay and found the center tab was bent and shorting against one of the other tabs, straightened it out and plugged it back in and now my lights work correctly.
Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Kosh

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
I finally figured it out, i pulled the DRL relay and found the center tab was bent and shorting against one of the other tabs, straightened it out and plugged it back in and now my lights work correctly.

Kosh
G'Day,
Glad you got it sorted.
Well done.
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
1 Posts

Kosh
My FJ is doing the same right now. I hope this works for me before i have to order a new Column switch. (Already used my dads 07 Tundra relay to see if that was the problem.)

Mike Kowalski
Instagram @ak_taco907

1 - 19 of 19 Posts