Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love getting stuck. No, I love figuring out how to get unstuck. I get stuck at least once every other time I go out. I usually can tell that it's going to happen before it does. My palms start sweating as I wonder if I'll be able to get out. If I can get out with a few chains, ropes and a hand winch, I be able to do it even better when I have a real winch, a pull-pal and some buddies. This trip was no exception.

This was a great trip to Mineral Basin. I am barely starting to have money to build up the FJ - lift and sliders on the way. We tried the only obstacle that we haven't done yet and got high centered. It gave me the chance to exercise by rowing the hand winch.

Very pretty trail. This is the rock garden - my favorite part. Probably won't be so fun once I have a lift, 34s and sliders. This is much more commiting and creative.

Lots of cool ramps and ledges

I had always avoided this obstacle. I don't have a good picture of it, but this gives you the idea. No big deal - unless you FJ is near stock.

I thought we could barely make it over

Still thought we could do it

Really should have known better, but I was getting excited to test out the strength of my budbuild skids

Ooops. Just one more inch of clearance and I could have done it.

This is what you call high centered

An hour with the hand winch and all is well. I looped the chain around a big boulder and pulle myself back down. I have to give my wife credit. She drives all the technical sections so that I can spot. She is a fantastic driver.

Some jeeps came by right as we got unstuck. The said that a atv'er had told them someone was stuck ahead. Not stuck for long.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Very cool I kinda like scenarios like that because it prepares you for the future and makes you realize what other gear you may need:cheers: thanks for sharing! fantastic pics!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
well good lesson to always have some sort of recovery gear along!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Really should have known better, but I was getting excited to test out the strength of my budbuild skids

How'd they look afterwards?

·
Registered
452 Posts
alpinist, you and your wife are true die hards willing to take the chance even when knowing what the out come may be.

you'll be a much better off highway driver learning from stock height by picking better lines...hopefully:clap:

nice pics great adventures:rocker:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How'd they look afterwards?
Barely a scratch - honestly no bending at all. I was skidding back and forth on those plates for over an hour in all directions before we got free. I thought that I would have to buy another set of plates from Bud. Nope - perfect - ready for much more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts