Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, during my unfortunate dive into a hot spring over the weekend I discovered a highlift jack is mostly useless on a stock FJ, since there aren't any lift points in reach when you are deep in the muck.

Aside from new steel bumpers is there a solution anyone has come up with for this problem?

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, during my unfortunate dive into a hot spring over the weekend I discovered a highlift jack is mostly useless on a stock FJ, since there aren't any lift points in reach when you are deep in the muck.

Aside from new steel bumpers is there a solution anyone has come up with for this problem?
2 options..

#1: Get a Lift Mate to lift it by the tires. About 30 bucks.
#2: Get some Rock Rails (Trail Gear type works well since they stick out a little bit).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i believe you can use it as winch, by securing the jack to a tree or boulder and then with a line/strap and use the jack as a winch(cranking by hand) to pull your Fj out of trouble. If i am wrong someone please tell me. this may help that your Hi Lift is not useless for your FJ when in need.:)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The lift mate is a great tool. I have one. That said, Keep in mind that you obviously cannot use it to change a flat. The lift mate is pretty much only useful for lifting your wheel to put stuff under it for traction or for building a ramp. You might be able to use it to "pole vault" over an obstacle, but i've never tried this and wouldn't want to. The only Jack point on an unmodified FJ is the hitch. You can use a D-ring hitch bracket as a lift point. To get the most out of your hi-lift, you need steel bumpers and rock rails. Your Hi-lift is not useless even if your vehicle is stock. It can be used for a number of other purposes; clamping, spreading, winching, log splitting, etc...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
In most cases the ARB X-Jack is superior to the Hi-Lift when it comes to lifting the vehicle.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish Toyota had given thought to this; they could have made it easier to jack up from the factory, considering they advertise the FJC as the most off road capable Toyota in the lineup (I think they conveniently forgot overseas Toyotas like the LC-70 though,and I would wager I could wheel further in a FJ-40 too).

I sooo want my my FJC to be a "real" safari ready vehicle but I'm not sure I can ever get it there. :confused: Then again, I've seen people hoofing it through the middle of the jungle in Bolivia in 20 year old (now 30) minivans. Maybe there is no such thing as "safari ready" :(

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
good suggestion from all the forum members.. but there is one more useful tool to go along with that hi-lift jack check wabfab.com. its an attachment used for the rock sliders. lift purpose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts