Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am finally ready to pull the trigger on an FJ. I found one only 6 hours away, lol, 2013 Cavalry Blue with all the bells and whistles. My only concern is 130k. I would really like to hit 200k with no major engine or trans issues. Carfax has first owner doing everything at dealership to 88k and current dealer has good private service record from 2nd owner. Pretty minimal surface rust underbody, I would have it coated at a shop. Dealer has it up for 24,000 is this something I should be worried about? Please put my mind at ease so I can join the club!

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Can't really comment about the price but 134K on a '13 that was well maintained would not bother me at all.

My '13 has 106k and I thought I put a lot of miles on her :smile The FJ look like its been off road a lot? What part of the country did it spend its former life?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Agree with what @Lee44 posted, and want to add that there are a few minor items known to begin “asking” for replacement around 100k mi (ex: alternator, pulleys/serpentine belt, wheel bearings) which do not necessarily indicate poor overall health of the FJ. Have these already been replaced on your prospective vehicle? If not, you might be able to use this as a bargaining point. GL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It spent 88k in North Dakota, and the rest in Minnesota. Probably people like me (Wisconsin), where they need something good for the country and mother nature. I personally would only be taking it offroad for my yearly trip to the UP in Michigan. How are these things to work on? I have no problem doing those type things on my 05 hemi ram or the 97 XJ, but I've really never worked on a Toyota. Thank you very much!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Given it spent some time on salted roads do a good inspection of the underside for rust. Surface rust can be dealt with (but still be useful in negotiating) but serious frame rust would be an issue.

FJs are extremely easy to work on - if I can learn anyone can!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My FJC has 330K miles on it. I am getting wheel bearings replaced for the first time; had u-joints done a few months back; serpentine done every 60-80K; tranny service with serpentine; diffs drained yearly if I have been in high water and then the usual brake stuff. Biggest expense was rear engine oil seal - $5 part that cost $1000 to get installed because I just can't do everything with my artificial joints - can't kneel on it for long on concrete or much else than dirt.

Mileage doesn't worry me - salt would if I was up north. You might also want to check exhaust system. In the south (saltless), the pipes go for as long as mine. Up north, you would likely have holes in the pipes and cats and muffler...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the trigger! Drove 6 hours to Minnesota and picked up the 2013. The blind spots only bothered me coming through the busy Twin City area. All those cars zooming around cutting across multiple lanes can make you nervous. That said, after 2 tanks of fuel used, I am feeling very comfortable driving her. It has all the add on packages, even the crawl control, except the sub, which i can live without. I dont really know how, but I am getting 23.3 mpg on my first 2 full fillups with 87 fuel. I have only been on the interstate about half the time, the rest has been country roads and in town 25-35mph stuff, a good mix. I was even stuck in stop and go traffic through construction zones for an hour the other day! Very pleasantly surprised. Little sluggish getting up to speed, but it isnt a race car. I am getting used to the feel, going around tight curves, I am just used to driving a big dodge with stiff suspension and there is a bit more lean that keeps me babying the tight country curves. Thanks alot for the help guys! One more question? Deer defense? Bull bar? The Fj is so quiet I am afraid they wont hear me coming. Love the view with the high beams, but I see like 15-20 deer jump out on the road i live on, every week!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thought original post stated high mileage? 130, please that FJ has just started life. Keep fluids changed and good to go another 100K with no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I thought that to begin with, but I love FJs so much and have been wanting one so long, that I wanted a 2nd opinion from owners. 130 was just the highest I had seen recently on a 2013. I always change my fluids regularly, I will do a full service in spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts