Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me as I was not a super fan when an FJ kind of fell into my lap. I since have tried to do avid research and enlighten myself as I have become a fan girl and want to keep this thing for a long time. I have a 2008, 2 wheel drive with a little less than 218,000 miles on it. Since I have become the owner, I have put quite some money into it. First trip was $2,000 and then 6 months later another $3,000 was put into it for the front end (lower control arms, wheel hub and something else I cant remember off the top of my head). I noticed a HUGE difference after the second shop correctly fixed the issues however this creaking sound lingered. It was there since I bought it on day one and through two mechanics and almost $6,000.00 in repairs, I STILL have this truck that sounds like it is going to fall into pieces the second it moves. Reverse seems to be the worst and any time I turn the wheel, however it is progressively getting worse and I feel like even just cruising now I can hear the titanic creaks and its driving me insane. I brought the FJ back to the second mechanic TWO separate times and he assures me nothing is wrong with the FJ.... The second time he seems annoyed with me and said "its an old car with high miles they are going to squeak" and I cant help but think this is the dumbest thing I have heard from a mechanic.... how else would people have classic cars that don't make sounds, which are older than me.... also between $6,000 in repairs I feel like this thing should make a single noise besides the purr of the engine. I fixed a few things myself already since going through these forums such as my windshield spray not spraying in the front (new motor needed and that infamous FJ SHUDDER, which disappeared the day I got the transmission flushed. I baby this thing and I am trying very hard to make sure it lasts to its full potential so if anyone is in the Orlando area and maybe wants to take a look or hear? Or if anyone has a good recommendation for a mechanic? Possibly even knows what this seems like, it would be GREATLY appreciated.... I really don't want to get rid of him :(

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,751 Posts
Forgive me as I was not a super fan when an FJ kind of fell into my lap. I since have tried to do avid research and enlighten myself as I have become a fan girl and want to keep this thing for a long time. I have a 2008, 2 wheel drive with a little less than 218,000 miles on it. Since I have become the owner, I have put quite some money into it. First trip was $2,000 and then 6 months later another $3,000 was put into it for the front end (lower control arms, wheel hub and something else I cant remember off the top of my head). I noticed a HUGE difference after the second shop correctly fixed the issues however this creaking sound lingered. It was there since I bought it on day one and through two mechanics and almost $6,000.00 in repairs, I STILL have this truck that sounds like it is going to fall into pieces the second it moves. Reverse seems to be the worst and any time I turn the wheel, however it is progressively getting worse and I feel like even just cruising now I can hear the titanic creaks and its driving me insane. I brought the FJ back to the second mechanic TWO separate times and he assures me nothing is wrong with the FJ.... The second time he seems annoyed with me and said "its an old car with high miles they are going to squeak" and I cant help but think this is the dumbest thing I have heard from a mechanic.... how else would people have classic cars that don't make sounds, which are older than me.... also between $6,000 in repairs I feel like this thing should make a single noise besides the purr of the engine. I fixed a few things myself already since going through these forums such as my windshield spray not spraying in the front (new motor needed and that infamous FJ SHUDDER, which disappeared the day I got the transmission flushed. I baby this thing and I am trying very hard to make sure it lasts to its full potential so if anyone is in the Orlando area and maybe wants to take a look or hear? Or if anyone has a good recommendation for a mechanic? Possibly even knows what this seems like, it would be GREATLY appreciated.... I really don't want to get rid of him :(
Every time I’ve had annoying squeaky sounds it’s been bushings. And they happen with any movement? There’s quite a few bushings on the FJ - can you tell roughly where the sound is coming from, like front vs back? Does it change with speed?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Unfortunately Florida is kinda Jeep dominate so finding someone that knows Toyotas well is not that simple . I have some good friends in West Palm Beach that Work for Toyota And they eat breath sleep Toyotas i will reach out and see if they have any good suggestions in the Orlando area . The plus side is this Group here can pretty much Pin point what a issue is with enough Questions and some Pics , So at the very least you have a understanding on what you need and not get taken by some Shop .

·
Registered
665 Posts
I also think that the mechanic's reasoning is absurd. I would suggest you get a can of seafoam lubricant from the autozone or someplace similar and you spray the following areas: Upper Control Arm bushing area, lower control arm where the shock mounts to it (your shock bushing could have weakened and is now rubbing metal to metal, which I experienced at one time), and the pivot points of the lower control are where the alignment bolts are.

I too have an 08 with high miles and I also get the crazy squeak from time to time, but when I spray these three areas (it's mostly my UCA bushing), the squeak goes away for like 3-4 months. I also noted that seafoam seems to work the longest and has good oil creep (meaning it spreads nicely). Make sure your engine skirt is in place (it's that plastic/rubber piece that kinda covers the engine bay) and don't spray into the engine area....try to be precise in other words. You can hit all three by facing the wheel well, but you'll have to go to the front of the vehicle to reach the shock/LCA connection. Hope this works for you.

ps. often squeaking occurs from incorrectly torqued bolts, but this is a quick way to treat the symptom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts