Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear a high pitch noise in the cabin as soon as I turn the FJ on. I can hear it when stopped or driving. It is not the radio (it is off) nor outside wind nor the a/c.
It does become a bit higher as I drive off.
The sound is like a turned down radio frequency sound when no one is talking on the air.
It seems like coming from the rear/inside:lookaround:
Anyone with a similar noise as well?

UPDATE: I've been able to pinpoint the area of the sound (under the glove compartment), but not exactly where is it originating from.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I hear a high pitch noise in the cabin as soon as I turn the FJ on. I can hear it when stopped or driving. It is not the radio (it is off) nor outside wind.
It does become a bit higher as I drive off.
The sound is like a turned down radio frequency sound when no one is talking on the air.
It seems like coming from the rear/inside:lookaround: - cargo area?
Anyone with a similar noise as well?
I have heard something similar, but mine is the fan for the cabin air located behind the glove box. Did you check that? Can you hear it if you turn off the air? Just a possibility...:wave:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I get a high pitched wining noise in the FJ, but only when my wife is in the car. :) Maybe some correlation?? :) ( I'll get hell for that later)

Do you have and Automatic or a Manual? Lockers? Could it be something in your power train? Have you crawled around under the FJ while it was running to see if the noise is outside? How about the Fuel pump? (I'm guessing it is in the fuel tank under the cargo area)

I know some people are having problems with the throwout bearing on the MT, but I don't think it is the same noise.

Is is loud enough to capture a video and post it on youtube?

-C

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is not the fan nor the a/c airbox. In fact I just changed the a/c filter 30 days ago. But the sound has been on much longer than that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I get a high pitched wining noise in the FJ, but only when my wife is in the car. :) Maybe some correlation?? :) ( I'll get hell for that later)

Do you have and Automatic or a Manual? Lockers? Could it be something in your power train? Have you crawled around under the FJ while it was running to see if the noise is outside? How about the Fuel pump? (I'm guessing it is in the fuel tank under the cargo area)

Is is loud enough to capture a video and post it on youtube?

-C
LOL! No. But mine is an AT. I hate to go to the dealer, they may think I am either picky or :freak5: I did have a high pitch noise coming from the back on my previous Tacoma and shortly after my fuel pump went dead on me; in the middle of the expressway!
Perhaps I should have it checked.
No, it is not loud enough to be able to capture it.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
It sounds like maybe you've already done this but did you turn the FJ on and listen around the outside/underneath it? The fuel pump sounds like a likely candidate but I don't like to just throw parts at things. If the sound is there when it's parked, I'd start poking around to see if I can tell where it's coming from.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Maybe your hearing is going out, and you're only noticing the ringing when you're in the FJ? J/k. Fuel pump sounds like a great place to start to me. Have your tried climbing around under her while it's running as Miata2k said. How about crawling around inside the rear while the FJ is running. If you can get a more specific idea where it's coming from on the inside that will help diagnose it from the outside.

Miata2k, strange I have the same problem. I find that carrying snacks and crappy music tend to quiet that whining sound.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
If you have an Fjammer or another radio with sub-woofer - is your sub on, if so, see if it goes away when you turn it off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the exact same thing. Not the cabin fan it is there even when its completely off. I also have an aftermarket radio and no sub and its there when all that is off as well. let me know if you figure it out.

I am getting better at tuning it out and only notice it sometimes, but it is always there when I listen for it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No sub here. I'll keep sniffing around :)

UPDATE: See above

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I am having the same issue. I just purchased a used 2008 Tacoma double cab. It does have the "premium" JLB audio system. I hear a very high pitched hum around the glove box. As others posted, my first thought was a fuel pump.

I decided to try to isolate the sound. It is audible once the key is in the ON position. The truck does not need to be running. It is not audible under the hood or under the truck. Only inside the cab. I removed the glove box and it seems to be the most intense in the area that all of the wiring harnesses are plugged in.

I removed the cabin filter and ran the heater/air to see if that made a difference. It did not.

It is audible with the stereo off and the heater/air off.

All of that to say, I still don't have a solution, but I think we are having the same issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts