5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2007 fj 6mt
4.56 gears 35" tires
afe Intake
MBRP Catback exhaust
Unichip
TRD quick shifter

I live in flagstaff and was recently driving down to phoenix and about an hour on the high way i noticed a high pitched whine that would get louder as i continued to press the accelerator. It stopped as soon as my car slowed down about 5-10 mph, if i was going flat or uphill the engine would slow me down to stop it, but if i was going downhill and heard it i would have to press on the brake to slow down enough to stop the whinning. It has happened only one other time also on the highway, both times were in 6th gear at around 60-90mph and i have never heard it around town. In the video you can barely hear it, but just imagine that sound but louder in real life. I've read about it might be the alternator or serpintine belt or A/C tensioner pulley but from videos i've watched i feel mine sounds like something else, any help would be appreciated

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
Wind noise perhaps?
Check your roof rack, etc.

· Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Hard to tell from a video, her is my 2cents:

Ring due to exhaust reaching a resonant frequency of other exhaust components? I know my Gibson Cat back system does this but only under full throttle acceleration from a stop and just for a split second passing 60 MPH or so, it sounds really cool!

GL

· Premium Member
1,241 Posts
would it still sound that high pitched if i didn't have my foot down all the way down and even when i let off the gas?
It could if the excitation range was over a wide frequency band, but It probably is not your issue?

· Registered
3,198 Posts
It definitely sounds like metal resonating to me, like metal rubbing on metal at a specific and constant frequency to hit that pitch, but I don't have a clue what it could be.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
186 Posts
Is your intake sealed up properly? It wasn't taken apart and then improperly assembled recently?

Any work done within the past few weeks?

Doesn't sound like a squeaky pulley but those can be ruled out with a can of wd-40

Edit: I would consider the alternator itself. Has anything happened to it, like getting coolant splashed on it? It's a free checkup at advance auto, oreillys, autozone, etc

· Registered
415 Posts
My wife's Sequoia made a sound similar to what I heard in your video. It was the vicious coupled center differential used for full time 4wd.... Toyota replaced it and the noise never came back... I don't know if the FJ's with manual transmission and full time 4wd uses the same center differential...
Perhaps one of the guys with more knowledge will chime in....

I wish you the best!

· Premium Member
245 Posts
What happens if you were setting still in neutral and held the RPM's the same as they were when you hear the wine. I would think that if you don't hear the wine that it is not coming from the engine compartment. Now if you run the same RPM's in fifth gear at a constant speed does it wine? When it wines in 6th gear back off the gas completely and shift into neutral and coast to see if the noise slows down. If it does then it is in the running gear. T case, wheel bearings or maybe a CV joint.

Just trying to narrow it down to a specific location through process of elimination. Good luck I know it will drive you crazy until you find it.

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
:cowfrown:
:jester:

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Mine has high pitched whining too, do you guys see anything which may cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you get sick of hearing that wretched whine, feel free to box it up and send it to me..I have a high tolerance to whiny noises( married for 20+ years! )!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.