Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently reved my engine in Neutral, up to the fuel cut off point, twice
it was a warm day 70degrees or so, my question is, obviously engines can get damaged, but did Toyota take high revs into consideration, is 6000rpm safe for a second or 2? what parts would get damaged if anything.

I feel slight vibrations from the engine and the car seems louder now.
I know I'm paranoid, but I plan to keep this car forever.

·
Registered
181 Posts
with the new fuel cut out rpm limiter if it was only for a second or to i wouldnot worry to much just dont floor it and leave it there

the things you would have to worry about is the valve train lifters , push rods , valves and valve springs
i have:wave: seen drifters hit limiters all the way around the track

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the new fuel cut out rpm limiter if it was only for a second or to i wouldnot worry to much just dont floor it and leave it there

the things you would have to worry about is the valve train lifters , push rods , valves and valve springs
:cheers:

It should be fine, my family says I'm crazy, they're probably right

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Thats is a good question. I can tell you to what point you can push ALOT of engines, but to what point is to far on the 4.0 used in the FJ? I am very unfamilar with Toyotas engine and rev limiter set ups. I have seen videos where guys are in toyotas and in deep mud with the engine buried in the rev limiter. Is it set up Factory to be able to keep from damaging it or do they have a after market set up. I love the skinny pedal...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats is a good question. I can tell you to what point you can push ALOT of engines, but to what point is to far on the 4.0 used in the FJ? I am very unfamilar with Toyotas engine and rev limiter set ups. I have seen videos where guys are in toyotas and in deep mud with the engine buried in the rev limiter. Is it set up Factory to be able to keep from damaging it or do they have a after market set up. I love the skinny pedal...
Common sense dictates to set up the rev limiter to prevent engine damage, but with a 4.0L engine stresses must be huge at 6k rpm

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Common sense dictates to set up the rev limiter to prevent engine damage, but with a 4.0L engine stresses must be huge at 6k rpm
I know many manufactures since the intergration of factory rev limiters, have been setting them so in the event you mis-shift, have that buddy you wanta choke, or do hit the magic mark, you dont scatter pistons. But it seems to be only on some of the High Performance Models that you can actually hold it in the rev limiter for mor than 2 seconds. I am just wondering if Toyota took this into consideration on the FJ 4.0 giving us nut jobs the ability to hammer the Skinny pedal with out hammering our engines.:rocker:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Friend maybe once. Twice No friend of MINE.:flame:

·
Registered
878 Posts

haha, and we blow motors all the time, but otherwise your right on. :cheers:

OP:
keep practicing throttle control and learn when to be in 4H

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
A second or two is absolutely no problem... people have been known to bounce off the rev limiter doing crazy mud or sand antics for long periods of time (many seconds to minutes) and repeatedly. While I don't necessarily recommend that, your brief encounter with it shouldn't be a concern.

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
I have always understood that hitting high RPMs is harder on an engine that is not under load than an engine that is under load, for example drag racing. Even so, just hitting the limiter a couple of times should certainly not be an issue. I'd still kick my "friends" worthless backside anyway.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
its more then okay the cutoff is at 5500 rpms so your friend didnt take it to 6k the engine was designed to safely rev up to 5500 after that its deemed bad fo your engine i rev my fj up to the cut off daily and i have for a year and a half now not a single problem expect bad gas mileage youll be good

·
Registered
123 Posts
If alcohol was involved, then punching him would've been easier. And your friend would have been better off ;-) Glad to hear your FJ is ok!

:fight:

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
A second or two is absolutely no problem... people have been known to bounce off the rev limiter doing crazy mud or sand antics for long periods of time (many seconds to minutes) and repeatedly. While I don't necessarily recommend that, your brief encounter with it shouldn't be a concern.
I was about to say the same thing, Thats all you hear from my truck when bogging or runnin in the dunes. Wawawawawawawawawawawwa:jester:
you'll be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I specilize in Toyota repair and have some knowledge of this engine, basically it is designed for lower rpm ops and has a nice torque curve due to the VVTi feature. It is well matched to the gear ratios to utilize that torque range. So static revs to the limiter if less than a few seconds should be fine as long as u don't make that a habbit. I have not ever heard of a 4.0 spinning a rod brg or breaking a piston, but lets not push our luck. PS fire that "friend"

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Don't sweat it, you're driving a Toyota.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts