Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
greetings! this is the placeholder for the high sierra - mono lake run being planned for the end of september. please re-visit this thread and this post for updated information as it becomes available.

the format of this trip will reflect most of what we did last year, but we hope to add a few more trails and perhaps a nocturnal run too.

here are some write-ups from previous trips to the high sierra area:

EDH-FJ's write-up from '06
potatomutato's write-up from '07
planning link from the '07 trip

Tentative Schedule
Thursday, September 25
Establish base camp by mid-afternoon. Small group trail runs for those who wish to get some wheeling in before the main runs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm relaxing by the lake.

Friday, September 26
* Laurel Lakes
* Convict Lake Overlook
* possibly Coyote Flat
For those meeting us for the trail run:
Meeting time: 10:00 AM

Saturday, September 27
* Kavanaugh Ridge
* Bodie
* Mono Craters
* Mono Lake sightseeing
Meeting time: 10:00 AM

Sunday, September 28
* Old Coulterville Road in Yosemite NP
* Trumbull Peak in Yosemite NP
These trails provide views of Half Dome and El Capitan
Meeting time: TBD

Confirmed Roster
PB 07FJ
DaveF2
myfunfj
BzWires
cedricmassa/toine
manoweb
sonof40
ANGRY BARBER
potatomutato

Tentative Roster
pkelly72
Romanski

Caravan Schedule
Thursday AM
PB 07FJ
DaveF2
sonof40 (going by way of Lake Tahoe)
potatomutato

Thursday PM
cedricmassa/toine

Friday PM
manoweb

Saturday AM
myfunfj

Communications
FRS: channel 7 or 462.7125 PL 192.8 or the code (based on manufacture) below:
code 31 motorola, cobra, & midland (7-31)
code 38 Radio Shack (7-38)
CB: 31

Weather
Highs expected in the upper 50s, lows in the low 30s.

Other important information
* Campfires allowed!
* BYOB - bring your own beverages (PM sent regarding food arrangements)
* Speaking of food and beverage, you are responsible for securing your food properly overnight in the food lockers.
* Fishing nearby, so bring your poles and licenses if you are interested
* Have fun, teach/learn something new and tread lightly

see you on the trails!

·
Registered
112 Posts
This look great. Do most camp or stay at inns. Are many people likely to bring the family? Check my calender.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This looks like fun. Steve how is this run for the family??? I know is a repeat question. Just wondering what kind of schedule this run is.. I just ran the Rubicon, and we went straight through and not for the faint of heart.. let me know dude... Thanks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This look great. Do most camp or stay at inns. Are many people likely to bring the family? Check my calender.
last year, Swingshiftworker stayed at an inn in Lee Vining and the rest of us camped nearby, within a 10 minute drive if i remember correctly. no one brought their family last year, but this is definitely a family friendly run. i'd check your calendar, but i don't have access to it. :spineyes:

This looks like fun. Steve how is this run for the family??? I know is a repeat question. Just wondering what kind of schedule this run is.. I just ran the Rubicon, and we went straight through and not for the faint of heart.. let me know dude... Thanks
to reiterate, this is definitely a family friendly run. in fact, kids would probably dig Bodie, Mono Lake and some of the other sights we saw. none of the trails are really that rough, certainly not as rough as some spots on the eagle lakes trail. there are steep inclines/declines on some of the trails and a few switchbacks on laurel lakes trail so if you're careless, it could mean disaster.

the trip format will most likely be the same with a few additions. we'll (the early birds) establish base camp on thursday night and everyone else can feel free to join in on friday or saturday and leave as they please. in fact, Swingshiftworker ended up wheeling with us for a day and a half and then took off to Yosemite for another day and a half.

we had plenty of time to relax and take in the sights during our runs. we packed lunch with us and made frequent stops to soak in the environs. in fact, we played so late into the day we ended up hitting our campsite for grub pretty much after the sun had set. speaking of which, we may see if we can get a nocturnal run in this time 'round as well.

check out the trail write-ups when you get a chance. the only thing to be aware of (aside from the chance of inclement weather that time of year) is that it can get pretty cold at night. we hit the mid-upper 20s one night. i think i was still in shorts though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
the only thing to be aware of (aside from the chance of inclement weather that time of year) is that it can get pretty cold at night. we hit the mid-upper 20s one night. i think i was still in shorts though.
Dude your always in shorts!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Been wanting to get out to Mono lake and check out Bodie, sounds like fun.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is a fun area to explore .I would like to make this trip but have a prior trip planned ,I dont know If it matters to anyone but big game hunting season opens sept 20th in that area and lasts for I believe 3 weeks ,the woods can get kinda crowded that time of year.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I had fun on this run last year but, unless I change my mind, I think I'll pass on it this time in lieu of running Rubicon in my Jeep.

There are a couple other places to stay in Lee Vining, but I got a cheap room at the no-frills El Mono Motel & Cafe in Lee Vining. If you want a very nice meal with a view of the lake, I also recommend dining at The Mono Inn Restaurant.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Hey Steve,

I am up for a Mono lake trip. Sept should be great out there even if the road hunters are out and about.
Last year, I drove to Lee Vining via Sonora Pass via Hwy 108 & 395. It takes about 4-5 hours from the Bay Area. It's a beautiful road, especially at the top and there wasn't a cop in sight on 108, but I'd be careful on 395. Came back through Yosemite on 120 which obviously takes much longer.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had fun on this run last year but, unless I change my mind, I think I'll pass on it this time in lieu of running Rubicon in my Jeep.

There are a couple other places to stay in Lee Vining, but I got a cheap room at the no-frills El Mono Motel & Cafe in Lee Vining. If you want a very nice meal with a view of the lake, I also recommend dining at The Mono Inn Restaurant.
X2 Everyone need to do Rubicon at least once..

MArty are you going for Jeepeers Jamboree?? I went to Rubition this year for the first time and I was told that there are like double or triple of what we had there.. Sounds like it should be a great time..

Oh yeah and I am a definet for this run.. unless something weird happens.. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
X2 Everyone need to do Rubicon at least once..

Marty are you going for Jeepeers Jamboree?? I went to Rubition this year for the first time and I was told that there are like double or triple of what we had there.. Sounds like it should be a great time..
No, I'm actually thinking of taking a 4 day trip of the Rubicon w/a tour operator that provides everything (food and camping gear, as well as recovery, if needed) for a fee, which takes the worry out of the run. They will even rent you a jeep (for more) if you don't want to risk taking your own rig.

This is the outfit I'm thinking of using: 4X4ABC. Anyone know anything about them?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Steve, You can add me to the roster, I put in for the days off way ahead of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Steve,
It's been awhile! I will mark my calendar trying to make this run again. Had so much fun last year, wanted to do it again.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Steve,
It's been awhile! I will mark my calendar trying to make this run again. Had so much fun last year, wanted to do it again.
wow, hey gregory! it certainly has been a while. it almost seems as if you come out of hibernation for the summer trail runs! :)

it'd be great if you could join the run again. i'm planning on swapping a couple new runs in, but we will definitely keep bodie and laurel lakes in there. a visit to mono lake is always in order as well.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts