21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
cville said:
I went thru the same thing for three weeks..
I just canceled my order, I hate being lied to.
I know the owner of Bentup and it is a small custom 4x4 shop. They are not a big dog mfr like All-pro, Downey, etc.. so they do get behind. With the 4-wheeling season coming up, they are getting absolutely slammed with orders from people who like to build rigs last minute. I know the owner works 7 days a week, often to from 6am to midnight to get work done and puts in more hard hours than anyone on this board. His truck is torn apart in the corner, in multiple pieces as his focus is on orders, not building his own rig to have fun like we all do.
With Happy Andy posting some pics on this board of some sliders and bumpers, the response for product has been overwhelming to say the least. So chill and give the guy some slack. If you were lied too, sorry for it and i'll let him know.
FYI his usual lead time on anything is 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
CactusJK said:
Does anyone know the exact diameter of the factory roof rack round tubing?
By my measurements, the main roof rack rails are 1.75" diameter. But you might want to leave some extra space under the clamp for some rubber or something so you don't scratch the rack rails when cinching it down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
SickTaco said:
I know the owner of Bentup and it is a small custom 4x4 shop. They are not a big dog mfr like All-pro, Downey, etc.. so they do get behind. With the 4-wheeling season coming up, they are getting absolutely slammed with orders from people who like to build rigs last minute. I know the owner works 7 days a week, often to from 6am to midnight to get work done and puts in more hard hours than anyone on this board. His truck is torn apart in the corner, in multiple pieces as his focus is on orders, not building his own rig to have fun like we all do.
With Happy Andy posting some pics on this board of some sliders and bumpers, the response for product has been overwhelming to say the least. So chill and give the guy some slack. If you were lied too, sorry for it and i'll let him know.
FYI his usual lead time on anything is 3 weeks.
I don't mind a three week lead time, but they need to say that up front. The latest word I got was that they would ship today, did they, who knows? I've been told four times over a couple week period that they were going to ship the next day, those dates have all passed. I've been very patient, but my patience has limits. I paid in full up front because I was lead to believe that I would have them within a week and a half when I ordered them and I didn't want any delay. Now I've come to find out that there are people here that ordered theirs 10 days before me and they still don't have theirs.

If they are that far behind, either hire some help, don't take new orders, or tell the people the truth about how long it will take. Don't tell me they will ship tomorrow when they haven't even been built yet, that's my only complaint.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
My experience over the last 25 years is most backyard type shops come up with some great products, but those employed there are not skilled in marketing or manufacturing techniques. The fabricators are most likely the owners, and are usually not trained in calculating lead times, material demands, or labor fluctuations associated with the sudden popularity of a product they initially designed as a one-off for a local customer. Being able to build a product is one thing, but being able to jig, build, ship, QC and restock supplies for a quantity of products is entirely different. We haven't even begun to discuss issues like materials and quality control, manufacturing consistency, and warranty / repair coverage that are sometimes lacking in micro-manufacturing shops...Bottom line - if you purchase from a fabricator instead of a manufacturer or distributor for a product - be prepared to wait.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
wouldnt you also figure that it's only a matter of time before the larger shops purchase smaller shops ideas and creations as well as fabricate their own solutions such as mounts? im just gonna sit on my thumbs and wait for awhile....although i still really like bentups stuff.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Noisycow said:
how do you people get your FJs into any garage?
HOLDIT' They need to be in A garage ??? :eek:

I have to build one real QUIK !!!! ;)

For some reason, I am picturing someone going into their garage with their FJC, sort of like the Carton' Character going thru a wall... LOL...

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
swiss FJ said:
This might work for you.
Won't work if you have or are planning on installing the Gobi rear ladder FYI...:eek:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
cruiserlarry said:
Won't work if you have or are planning on installing the Gobi rear ladder FYI...:eek:
A little PAINFUL going over the top ladder rung with the jack pole there ehh'... :eek:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This might work for you.
I love this position for the highlift. I just don't want to drill holes in the FJ. Has anyone attempted running any type of bracket off the spare tire mount? It maybe to far over to work. I am going to have to give this some more thought.:thinkerg:

For some reason, the pics I am quoting will not show up. Just click the quote and you will see the pics.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
My experience over the last 25 years is most backyard type shops come up with some great products, but those employed there are not skilled in marketing or manufacturing techniques. The fabricators are most likely the owners, and are usually not trained in calculating lead times, material demands, or labor fluctuations associated with the sudden popularity of a product they initially designed as a one-off for a local customer. Being able to build a product is one thing, but being able to jig, build, ship, QC and restock supplies for a quantity of products is entirely different. We haven't even begun to discuss issues like materials and quality control, manufacturing consistency, and warranty / repair coverage that are sometimes lacking in micro-manufacturing shops...Bottom line - if you purchase from a fabricator instead of a manufacturer or distributor for a product - be prepared to wait.:eek:
Thank you Larry. As I was reading through this thread, it occurred to me that on occasion our desires for many of the new products are quite revealing of the fact that patience isn't part of our culture anymore. I'm very glad you posted what you did here.

Gents, I've been waiting for some parts I purchased over 2 months ago. I've never once slammed the manufacturer. Some other parts I purchased over a month ago have still not arrived either. The bottom line that should be taken away from this is that while the small shops are sometimes outpaced by demand and fall behind, ..........get this.............they are also the shops that respond to our desires for new products. They are innovative, creative and think out of the box. But they are small. If you paid, be patient. If you're wondering if the shop owner is still alive, hit him with a PM or email or politely ask someone on the forum that is close to the owner or shop if they're okay.

We're all pretty itchy to get the new products to mod our rigs into the beasts you can find all over this site. Be patient my brethren.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Thank you Larry. As I was reading through this thread, it occurred to me that on occasion our desires for many of the new products are quite revealing of the fact that patience isn't part of our culture anymore. I'm very glad you posted what you did here.

Gents, I've been waiting for some parts I purchased over 2 months ago. I've never once slammed the manufacturer. Some other parts I purchased over a month ago have still not arrived either. The bottom line that should be taken away from this is that while the small shops are sometimes outpaced by demand and fall behind, ..........get this.............they are also the shops that respond to our desires for new products. They are innovative, creative and think out of the box. But they are small. If you paid, be patient. If you're wondering if the shop owner is still alive, hit him with a PM or email or politely ask someone on the forum that is close to the owner or shop if they're okay.

We're all pretty itchy to get the new products to mod our rigs into the beasts you can find all over this site. Be patient my brethren.
I think the main thing that people are upset about is the lack of comunication and response to emails. You can be the best fabricator in the world, but if you have poor customer service, then your not going to go very far. I understand that people get behind in there orders, but at the end of the day, you need to sit down, and respond to your emails/pms. At there very least, respond to the ones who have paid in full. Being that thihs thread is ove a year old, i'm sure everything has been worked out by now. :)
i would love to have this high lift jack mount on my rig. Maybe one day soon we'll see this product mass produced.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts