Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to by an fj for our trips to Colorado and offroad there. Will be doing about 1600 miles of interstate each way at approx. 80 MPH. I am aware of their estimated MPG, but would be interested in what other members are actualy getting in similar circumstances.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
"how long is a piece of string"

It will depend on so many variables: how much was the FJ modified? (lift, larger tires, roof rack mounted tent/box/lights, and so on), how much load is being carried? (some have hundreds of lbs of gear/refridgerator/air pump/fuel/etc.), what altitude? what grade of fuel being used? AT vs MT?

As you said, you already know what the FJ is rated for, MPG. So, if yours is unmodified, and getting 17mpg, the fuel tank will read empty with about 4 gallons left (15~16 out of its 19 capacity), you'll be wanting to stop for fuel at around 250~300 miles, which will be about 3.5hours at 80mph.

Norm

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am trying to by an fj for our trips to Colorado and offroad there. Will be doing about 1600 miles of interstate each way at approx. 80 MPH. I am aware of their estimated MPG, but would be interested in what other members are actualy getting in similar circumstances.
I managed to get 9 mpg in Colorado heading west into the state on long upgrades towing a small trailer with two motorcycles on it. Add a headwind and it will do 8.8 mpg at those speeds. :grin

Heading back East it was not so bad, around 12-13 mpg mostly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well, I've got stock size tires (KO2's LT265/75R16), a 3" OME lift and a Maggiolina RTT.

Loaded to the gills with my overlanding, camping, hunting, fishing gear and driving at 65/68 mph, I am getting a tad better than 18mpg on flat terrain. Mountain passes don't apply! LOL.

If you start putting your foot in it, or drive at 80mph ........ you'll be burning a LOT of fuel! :)

But hey, when was the last time you heard someone say .......... "Remember that vacation when we got 30 mpg". :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I was in Austin, I drove the tollway from Austin towards San Antonio. I think the speed limit was 80 or 85mph. Got around 15-16 .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mostly stock, with slightly oversized tires (285/70/17), I get close to 20 MPG on the highway, if not over. On a recent trip to Florida, driving around 77MPH, I could go over 300 miles before the fuel light came on. On my FJ, when the fuel light comes on, it takes around 14 gallons to fill it up. That should leave around 5 gallons in reserve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought my 2010 back in December, and have logged every fill up since. 4x4, automatic, no mods to the engine, the spark plugs are fresh and everything is lubricated, filters clean, etc.

The truck itself is raised maybe 3", roof rack with a deflector, and had 285/75-16 KO2's on it until recently. Comparing the speedometer to GPS, the speedometer/odometer were a little more than 3% on the low side. So with a 3% correction, I averaged about 15.8mpg over the last 5,000 miles.

The WORST tank of gas was driving mainly highway at around 80mph, right around 15.0mpg. Driving 60-65 would break into the 18's.

I recently installed 265/75-16 Duratracs. They are about 15# per tire lighter. 3 tanks of gas since installing them, and it appears I gained a whopping 0.5-.8 mpg.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just drove to FJ Summit and back from Minnesota, towing a small camper (like a Scamp). Mostly freeway at 75 mph, ranged from 14.0 to 17.5. I have a 3" lift, bumper, sliders, skids etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Coming back from the 2019 fj summit, driving to Utah from Colorado, I got close to 19. Probably averaged 60-65 mph. The car was fairly loaded down, and has a full set of heavy skids. The tires are stock size, but heavy duty set to 36psi.

·
Registered
195 Posts
At 60mph I get 300 miles. At 80mph it will drop quite a bit.
Same here on a 2007 4wd AT FJ with 33" A/T [email protected] PSI and leveled suspension, otherwise stock, running 95RON gas. I'm on a long trip now (5500 miles at the moment), so this measurement is recent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
2007 with a small front lift, front runner rack with small items on it (solar panel and rifle cases), trunk fully loaded, rolling on 33s mud tires with 2 kids and my wife, we constantly get 18mpg on the hwy (averaging around 60-70mph) at sea level.

Looks like most people are getting around the same and I totally agree, if I go 80mph my MPG drops DRAMATICALLY to around 14-15mpg as well. That's why I try to keep it around 65mph which is amazingly hard here since everyone else around you is driving 75mph.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As you said, you already know what the FJ is rated for, MPG. So, if yours is unmodified, and getting 17mpg, the fuel tank will read empty with about 4 gallons left (15~16 out of its 19 capacity), you'll be wanting to stop for fuel at around 250~300 miles, which will be about 3.5hours at 80mph.

Norm
I thought I was going crazy with having 4 gallons left in the tank when the light came on. Glad to hear that's by design (or at least just how it is). There's been times where the gauge made it seem like I was going to be screwed and run out of gas yet my ultragauge showed I had like 40 miles left on range and when I filled up I could only get 16 gallons in. Just find it sort of odd that when the light comes on you technically still have over 50-60 miles range left.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
"Just find it sort of odd that when the light comes on you technically still have over 50-60 miles range left."

tell me about it, it bugs me no end, but it does seem to be a Toyota thing (my other Toyotas also read empty with 4 gallons left, but they get 300+ miles per tankful-4gal, so I didn't care as much).

My old Saab 99 had a fuel tank that read E, and the light came on, when there was 1 gallon left, and I loved its accuracy, and the fact that one can use its gauge all of the way to the bottom (in our FJs, that would still be 10~15 miles, enough for most of the country to get to a station, if one wasn't paying any attention until that point).

Norm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts