Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since we didn't get forest service approval to do an "official" trail run + hike a 14er, the following is not insured or sponsored by the FJ Summit.

That being said, one of the days I'm in ouray I'm going offroad at the crack of dawn to a trailhead and hike a 14er (14,000+ mountain). If anyone is interested, I basically just want to know what day is good for you and if you are going to be there before Wednesday. If I get no takers, I will just do it on Monday or Tuesday before all of my schedule goes wacky with work.

Most likely 14er is Umcompahgre Peak because it is the highest in the San Juans, it has a cool trail to the trailhead and it is doable in a morning. Plus, it just looks freaking cool and since it is the highest around, it will have the best views!

NOTE: I'm not a guide, so if you haven't hiked before, this probably isn't the place to start. It'll just be nice to be on the trail with someone I know.

This is what it looks like in July:

·
Registered
50 Posts
That would be sweet! I'm over here in Georgia and the tallest thing around is 6400 feet and that's in North Carolina. I loved Idaho and Colorodo and miss the "real" mountains. If I could make it I'd be right there with you.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a sneaking feeling this will be a solo! :)

And thanks climber, I have sort of spastic tastes in music. Every month looks fairly different.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
More details - - - >14ers.com - Quick Stats

Looks like 4wd up to the Nellie Creek trail head and then hoofin' it for 3,000 ft of elevation.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More details - - - >14ers.com - Quick Stats

Looks like 4wd up to the Nellie Creek trail head and then hoofin' it for 3,000 ft of elevation.
Yep, hence the "hike" a 14er!! :)

That trail up to the trailhead is awesome though. Last year I went up there, but got there too late so didn't want to risk the afternoon thunderstorms.

It's pretty gradual, last weekend I had a 3 mile run that had 2000" feet of elevation gain, that was pretty well straight up.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
JammerGirl and I are in.
I will keep an eye here for details.

We haven't decided hard-core on our schedule for our pre-Summit days in Ouray yet, but I think Mon or Tue will work for us too.

Hopefully we can actually summit that thing this time.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JammerGirl and I are in.
I will keep an eye here for details.

We haven't decided hard-core on our schedule for our pre-Summit days in Ouray yet, but I think Mon or Tue will work for us too.

Hopefully we can actually summit that thing this time.
Okay, I'll plan for Tuesday tentitively and if anyone else chimes in with some opinion, I can change it. Also, a few days out we can check the weather and make the call then too.

Yeah, I'd really like to make it to the top this time before a big storm comes in.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If we could drive to 13,900 and hike the last 100ft, I'd be in.
That would be Mt. Evans. Hiked it from Summit Lake on Monday. Went straight up the rocks on the Northeast ridge(route #10 on 14ers.com). Ran into a pack of mountain goats 2/3's of the way up. That was pretty sweet!

Attachments

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
We're leaving to meet up with Jared pretty soon.

Actually, my plantar faciitis (sp?) is kinda acting up. So, I may only be getting a little ways up this thing this time, but we're giving it a good try anyway. We'll see how well I hold up when we get going.

Wish us luck. :)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for driving up with me Steven, sorry your foot didn't cooperate for the summit.

Here is me at the top hanging off a 2000 ft. cliff (that grey ground is actually another big hill, it is just hard to tell).

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Dude, sorry we didn't get all the way. As I suspected, my foot got pretty bad about half way, and I knew I would still have the trek back down (which is when it's usually the worst).

Also, since I was going slower than I usually do, I noticed the clouds forming, and since we couldn't really see how much more or less develped they were on the other side (which is where it's all coming from), we decided to count it as if it may be bad, and headed back down.

As it turned out, we started hearing thunder (not exactly from that peak area, but still...) when we were still a ways from the trailhead on our way back down. So, for my style, it was a good decision to turn back anyway.

JammerGirl gave me foot massage a couple times and it really helped, but we would have needed at least another 1.5 hours to reach summit at that pace. Oh well, maybe we'll try it again next year and finally get there.

If nothing drastic happens to heal my feet by then, or if we're not in much better shape by then, we'll probably try (not sure how) to leave the hiking trailhead at the time we left Ouray.....that way, I should have enough time to deal with my feet along the way and actually get up there and back down within my 'lightning comfort' window. :)

Hey, when you were ascending that long, steep spot, were you with someone else, maybe 10 feet apart or so.....and did you meet up with a group of 3 or so people on your way up?

If so, I have a couple photos that show you on that slope.....if not, we can just pretend :silly:

Well, thanks again, bro. It was fun. :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I have photos from this day of our trip uploaded

LINK

more days to come soon

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have photos from this day of our trip uploaded

LINK

more days to come soon

Awesome, thanks!

You have a much nicer camera than me, so I appreciate it!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

You have a much nicer camera than me, so I appreciate it!
You're very welcome.

Thanks again to you for another cool trail run and hike.
Hopefully some day we'll be able to keep up with you on the hiking part. :)

I have some video from this day too, and I'll post up here once that's uploaded, but I'll be focusing on getting the photos for all of the other days of the trip up first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts