Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, yesterday a lady backed into my parked FJ. I attached a picture of the damage. Just wondering if anyone has any specific advice when dealing with auto body shops and FJ's. It's a 2010 in really good shape with no other damage. I really want to come out the other side with as good if not better then before the accident.

Attachments

·
Admin
13,868 Posts
A good aftermarket bumper would have prevented a lot of that damage. Have a body shop give a full estimate including truck rental and substitute the bumper parts for a real bumper.

Yes, the fender flares are steel as well.
What kind of flares? Warrior Products?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats a lot of damage for a parking lot hit. New fender front bumper signal light maybe grill if one of the brackets broke. Should be plenty of room for a aftermarket bumper in there. Unless the insurance companies end up going 50/50. Did you get all her info and report it to her company? Were you in the vehicle?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That bumper looks great, do you have a link for it ?

Yes I reported incident with her info. I was filling up at the pump and she started backing up and didn't stop until she hit my FJ.... As if filling up the truck doesn't suck enough right now then it gets hit ...
I have the footage from the gas station.
When she got out her first words were "it's not my fault "
I just got her info and didn't engage.
If I can come away from this with it looking as good as yours I will be in a much better mood.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hopefully your insurance company will fight for you but I have seen many of these situations where both parties say it's the other fault. Then they just say each company takes care of their insured .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Uhhhh, it was her fault since you were standing still filing the tank and she was moving. Get the footage since it sounds like she's going to be a PITA. And Datajockeys, those fender flares are cool but EXPENSIVE! :eek:

Reactions: GWebb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd like to think when there's footage with me outside my vehicle and her backing into me it would be an open shut case but I know what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No one else pumping gas see the accident? I've got a dash cam on my FJ. It doesn't have parking mode, but I might set it up that way so I can switch it on and off if I'm not driving for awhile.

Reactions: GWebb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I guess so. Doesn't it just piss you off when people don't take responsibility for their actions ? It's been happening to me a lot lately. Gets on my nerves.
I'm minding my own business , someone hits the vehicle I worked hard for and saved up to pay cash for, take good care of it and then due to their own negligence it might come down to me taking initiative and action to prove I'm right just to get the vehicle back to how it was before it happened. Drives me up the wall. You make the mistake it's your responsibility to fix it.
There's my rant !!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy crap that looks amazing. How long have you owned it for ?
I am getting mine set up for a trip around the perimeter of my province (Nova Scotia) should be a slow trip maybe 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2011 Iceburg, Slammed 63 Ragtop Beetle
17 Posts
This WILL take some fighting on your part, but you also need to look into claiming "diminished value/accelerated depreciation". This will be a royal pain if they decide that each person covers their own, but shouldn't be to hard if they put her at fault. Example of this is if vehicle is found to be worth $30k before accident and is now worth $26k after accident, they fight for the addition of that $4k difference on top of the damage cost to the vehicle. If you haven't taken the vehicle in for a estimate yet, detail the living heck out of everything except the damage area beforehand (this includes dusting the dash, cleaning windows, vacuuming the carpet spotless, you want this thing to look showroom) as they will notate an estimated total value of vehicle during this estimate. I see you are in Canada so I don't know the specifics to your area. I have lived in state where this is a thing, but I've also lived in states that accidents in a parking lot are "cover your own" cough cough Cali... Definitely worth looking at though. Best of luck thought this whole process. You will still have a FJ at the end of this so smiles regardless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm an insurance agent and when people call with a claim in a parking lot it doesn't always go the way they want it. If the person at fault admits it and doesn't change their story then it goes smoothly

1 - 20 of 35 Posts