Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I am also an insurance broker. Thing I’ve learned over 20 + years…”PEOPLE LIE”
1. always equip your ride with front and rear quality dash cams
2 check the dash cam at least once a week it may have gone wankie without noticing.
3 in an accident do not admit anything
4 take lots of pictures of your car and theirs
5 the other car will likely take off don't chase them you could get in a wreck or pulled over it may have been stolen.
6 make certain if you have the option of uninsured motorists coverage the deductible is about $250 in some states
I was rear ended in my FJ and right off the lady started screaming and blaming me she called 911 and told the dispatcher i was accosting her when i tried to share insurance info. I had rear cam video clearly showing she was tailgating and driving aggressively. People have gone bat **** crazy these days so drive defensively

Reactions: Datajockeys

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are %100 right. I was hit by a teenage girl, front end damage to her car and dents in both doors on the drivers side of my car, actually pushed me into the ditch. The girl got out of her car saying "I'm so sorry i hit you i didn't see you!" When she got home and talked to her parents the story changed to i hit her! Not sure how that could even happen. Luckily the driver behind me that saw it stopped and gave me his name and number in case i needed him as a witness. My insurance company said it was a good thing that we had a impartial witness otherwise it might have been a real pain to get the other company to pay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay plot thickens today...
Normally I would just trust a cut and dry situation like this to play out but after talking on here and with the weird vibes I got from this lady I went and filed a police report in addition to the insurance report I already filed.
While I was there I asked if they would run her info to see if she was a cop (had a picture of her driver's license) they were happy to do that and said she wasn't a cop, at least not in this province. I guess she could have been in another province at some point and maybe that's what she meant when she said "I'm a cop" but anyways I'm glad I'm crossing my T's for this situation.

Yes I have been checking out bumpers. I like that one data jockeys has but would like to see what you guys have and recommend

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To the insurance guys , is it a possibility in your experience for the insurance company to Write me a cheque for the amount of repair estimate? Just thinking about options but I'm looking at it now and considering replace the light and fender myself and use the rest of funds to put towards bumper and other parts.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Yes you must first file a claim with insurance company then ask them if it is ok to do that. Get your estimate then submit it to your company. See what they say they all differ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok CAA called me and said it was a not at fault accident. That's great, I was a bit worried about that. So that's that part out of the way. They will cover me for $1500 of rental vehicle. I tow a trailer for my business so I need a truck. Rental agency doesn't have any trucks for three weeks and you aren't allowed to tow with them if you do get one or it voids their liability insurance. Great.
CAA said they do not pay the person, only direct to the body shop.
The collision center can't get me in til Aug 23 and told me to expect to wait 3 months for Toyota parts.
At least the manager at the collision center seems like a guy I'd trust with my vehicle but still Just generally pissed off at the whole situation.

·
Admin
13,789 Posts
At least the manager at the collision center seems like a guy I'd trust with my vehicle...
He's the guy you deal with in regards to getting a different product, ie: bumper

Ideally the body shop puts forward the funds that are slotted for stock replacement stuff.... And puts it toward the aftermarket product of your choice... And you put forward the difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi everyone, yesterday a lady backed into my parked FJ. I attached a picture of the damage. Just wondering if anyone has any specific advice when dealing with auto body shops and FJ's. It's a 2010 in really good shape with no other damage. I really want to come out the other side with as good if not better then before the accident.
Time for a X1 all steel bumper.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Cameras and evidence would be best but sometimes doesn't capture everything. I'd have to respectfully disagree to not chase them. Many times they don't know hit you or they hit you and they don't care. If it's safe to do so, acquiring their car make, model, color, plate # will help police identify in a report and insurance to file against the offender. Without that info, imagine how many uninsured motorist claims you might potentially acquire. I might suggest don't engage with the offender but you can ask law enforcement if you've been in a hit and run. They will usually try to contact the owner of the vehicle.

Source: 1 hit and run and 1 hit while parked.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi everyone, yesterday a lady backed into my parked FJ. I attached a picture of the damage. Just wondering if anyone has any specific advice when dealing with auto body shops and FJ's. It's a 2010 in really good shape with no other damage. I really want to come out the other side with as good if not better then before the accident.
i had similar damage a couple years ago body shop quotes were around $4000

·
Registered
2012 FJ 4X4 Automatic Convenience Package and Upgrade Package
203 Posts
That sucks but there is a silver lining. It's awesome that it was in a parking lot and not on the freeway or on top of a mountain!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts