1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Not a very common site on an FJ but I guess if you load it up and remove once you get where you are going it would work. Most just get a Bajarack or Gobi or pull a trailer.

-bump-

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Tried a post in another section here with some information received, thought that in the camping section, I might get more replies, based on your need to carry stuff. I'm looking at the carrier listed below. Opinions on brands and info on being able to open the rear door (with no contact with the door and spare tire) while running the OEM hitch set up. Thanks. Pro Series 24x60 Railed Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Black Powder Coated Steel - 500 lbs Pro Series Hitch Cargo Carrier 63153
Well you already know my story, but as far as specific carriers that the rear door will clear?.. I dunno. I'd say that any hitch carrier with a straight main support bar will sit low enough to clear the spare and rear door, but the tail end of those baskets always rides too low to the ground in my opinion. A friend of mine had a basket like that on his stock-height 80-Series Land Cruiser and he dragged it quite often. You've seen the one I have with the 2" rise and I have never dragged it on a steep driveway or parking lot entrance/exit. The 2" rise really helps in that regard even though the trade off is the clearance problem with the spare and rear door. Of course it has occasionally dragged offroad, but 99% of my offroading is more forgiving dirt and beach, not rocky terrain.

Not a very common site on an FJ but I guess if you load it up and remove once you get where you are going it would work. Most just get a Bajarack or Gobi or pull a trailer. -bump- :cheers:
I do agree with you for the most part, and I've got an old trailer just sitting around waiting for me to start something with it, but I carry mine all the time.

If I had to list Pros/Cons I would have to admit that the two things I dislike about my hitch carrier are;

1. The fact that it has to be almost completely unloaded for me to open the back door more than a few inches.
2. The fact that anything that rides back there is gonna get grimy or covered in dirt and sand in less than perfect weather or on the beach.

Both of those issues are just the nature of the beast really, and everything is a compromise. Despite that I had the carrier hitched up for almost a year continuously once I fitted the LED tail lights and I like the extra flexibility it gives me at the spur of the moment for carrying tires, bleeding animals (from hunting, not roadkill :lol:), campsite trash, my jobsaw on a rolling stand, and anything else that won't fit or is too dirty/smelly/oily for the inside. When I bought my '08 used I purposely chose a truck without the OEM 'half-a-rack' because I knew I wanted something truly functional. At some point I will get a BajaRack Utility Rack, but in the meantime my hitch carrier has more than paid for itself with hauling convenience and the fact that it has taken a couple of low-speed impacts from tailgaters.

:cheers:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
switawi... i was sooo bummed when i couldnt find a tire relocation spacer to fit the 2013, thought you had pointed me in perfect direction. but you saved me a ton of headaches, thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was going to make one of these myself, then I read this post and others and decided to build my own basket similar to the Warrior. I then saw a Jeep who had taken some plywood, Line-ex and U-bolts added some eye hooks and created a nifty looking and rather study poor mans roof basket insert. Looked slick. That is what I am going to slap together for this season. See how it works and then decide to build or not.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tried a post in another section here with some information received, thought that in the camping section, I might get more replies, based on your need to carry stuff. I'm looking at the carrier listed below. Opinions on brands and info on being able to open the rear door (with no contact with the door and spare tire) while running the OEM hitch set up. Thanks.

Pro Series 24x60 Railed Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Black Powder Coated Steel - 500 lbs Pro Series Hitch Cargo Carrier 63153

I am not sure what kind of wheeling you do but another option to think about is a front mounted receiver. I have a Curt front mounted hitch and use my basket in the front. I do not see many rock obstacles so this option works well for me, might work for you also. Good luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
This thing works great. Way overpriced, but can open and close the rear cargo door. Also has enough clearance to avoid the spare tire. Holds a hell of a lot of stuff and is pretty waterproof. Good locks on the door and the hitch. Lights all run through so you still have turn signals and brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
This thing works great. Way overpriced, but can open and close the rear cargo door. Also has enough clearance to avoid the spare tire. Holds a hell of a lot of stuff and is pretty waterproof. Good locks on the door and the hitch. Lights all run through so you still have turn signals and brakes.
What type of a carrier is this, looks very useful!

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went el cheapo. I went to Dick's and grabbed the hitch haul flat carrier. We drove with it through the mountains and it was great. I put a rolling box on there that I picked up at tractor supply. All told it was a little over $100. The box is a little bigger than the carrier, but I am not overly concerned. It kept the rain out and held up to the wind.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1365548204.670964.jpg

The box is a little on the heavy side, but it has wheels and a handle so we can roll it wherever we go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,344 Posts
Stowaway 2. It's great, really useful. Kind of annoying getting on and off hitch due to its size, but if you have some a second set of hands its no problem. We built a small shelf on wheels for it so it could just be rolled up to the FJ and were ready to roll.
Looks very useful. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
254 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I built this one for my Jeep. It works on the FJ as well. The Hitch actually folds down to allow the door to open. Granted you better have everything strapped down very well and enough strength to lower it. I am going to build a stronger one some other time.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thought I would show you that this cargo carrier fits. So far I have had one whitetail deer on it. As the pictures show you can open the back door with about 1/2" between the spare tire and the top of the carrier. Got this on Amazon from Rage
Amazon.com: Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier (500 lb. Capacity) with Anti-Tilt and 5/8" Hitch Pin: Rage Powersports: Automotive
View attachment 121786

View attachment 121794

View attachment 121770
just ordered this

Do you put duffel bag or more box type container on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts