Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a company that makes one?...somethign that would be for 1 or 2 people. If not, I think it would be cool to have one...

Space

·
Registered
442 Posts
What exactly do you envision this contraption being able to provide you that a normal tent doesn't?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I see it as a mini camper that stays in the hitch rather than a trailer camper if you can vision that....

Just something that would be different, thats all, and wanted to see if a company made one...

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Hmmm... That's an interesting idea actually. If I am picturing it right, a kind of "pop-up" camper system that would be mostly tent with maybe a cook stove or other hard-mounted device that would be on the hitch mounting box, correct?

My initial thoughts tho would be that it would be more bulky in that type of configuration than would be a 4-person tent, cookstove, tables, etc. just stored IN the FJ cargo area and removed when setting camp.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Banned
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is there a company that makes one?...somethign that would be for 1 or 2 people. If not, I think it would be cool to have one...

Space
I want one too... or something on the hitch so you can put a small tent on top of it. Every year, it rains for me... love to have something where I can put a tent above the ground.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not to be a naysayer, but wouldn't a tent, with about 2 people in it exceed the "tongue weight" max for the stock hitch? Without getting into the "mechanics", 2 people, say at a minimum about 300 lbs, acting 3 feet out, makes the load 900 lbs effective at the hitch as a cantilever. That's being conservative. I'm not saying it can't be done, but without some sort of extra support, I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
so like an over sized one of these:

24x60 Railed Cargo Carrier for 2" Trailer Hitches 63153 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

With a tent built on it? This one is 24" x 60"
Most of these type of cargo carriers are this size as a maximum with 500 lb load limit.

it is an interesting idea though.

found these boxes:
Fixed Hitch Mount Cargo Boxes

still a tad bit small to sleep in... :)
haha, that is what i was thinking too. That thing is only 5 ft long though. Who could fit in there?

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Check out these - Tent Cot by Kamp-Rite - I just got the Oversize Tent-Cot and spent two days in it last week camping in the adirondacks. I will be writing a reveiw soon. It could definitely be strapped to a hitch carrier - or even onto the spare tire because it isn't very heavy. It takes seconds to set up, is very comfortable and might fit the type of camping that you are envisioning.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
if they can hold a dirt bike , they could make one to hold 2 prople or one thugasor

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Not to be a naysayer, but wouldn't a tent, with about 2 people in it exceed the "tongue weight" max for the stock hitch? Without getting into the "mechanics", 2 people, say at a minimum about 300 lbs, acting 3 feet out, makes the load 900 lbs effective at the hitch as a cantilever. That's being conservative. I'm not saying it can't be done, but without some sort of extra support, I wouldn't recommend it.
x2
Why not a roof tent?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Why not both - I modified a tent cot to mount to my Gobi. Only room for one, but when my wife comes I usually have a pop-up trailer. (I copied this idea from a Rover owner - who has since gone the route of a trailer+rooftoptent.) The legs were also shortened so that the whole contraption folds flat abt the same height as the rack. Lightweight, no impact on mileage, one set of legs attached to a set of quickfists, the guy straps are shown attached to the grab handles inside so I can open/close the doors -but rock rails make a great anchor as well.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I couldn't sleep in that one. I am 5' 8" and Hubby is 6' plus some...... We need a little more room but the concept is cool. I am actually thinking of one that we can pull behind the FJ that has a little more room than that. I don't know that I want a FULL expidition one but hmmmmm.... A light version of an expo would be really cool.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The tent cot double is the size of a queen size bed,

I couldn't sleep in that one. I am 5' 8" and Hubby is 6' plus some...... We need a little more room but the concept is cool. I am actually thinking of one that we can pull behind the FJ that has a little more room than that. I don't know that I want a FULL expidition one but hmmmmm.... A light version of an expo would be really cool.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The tent cot double is the size of a queen size bed
yes - but has the steel rod going down the middle. I would prefer two separate ones than messing with a rigid rod down the middle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts