Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just found a winch this weekend while going around to yard sales. Its a 8000 lb winch and right now its mounted to a steel plate. Since I don't really want to spend the money on a new bumper i'm thinking of getting a hitch mount for it for now. I also thought of a front mount receiver so i can move it either way. Has anybody tried this, I'm mostly driving in the dessert and sand is the big issue. So for now i'm looking around for new rope for the winch and a pull pal. So far it looks like the rope will cost more than any of it. Any advice would sure help. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Several folks have used hitch mounted winches and some bumpers are designed with this in mind. Check out ToyOutfitters, Stan (NCFJ) is a supporting vendor and forum member.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They work great AS LONG AS YOU PULL STRAIGHT. As soon as you have to pull at an angle, you are putting A LOT of stress on the receiver and it could possible snap off on you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff , thanks , I had not thought about pulling at an angle. BTW stopped by 4 wheel shop here in vegas and saw the "Smittybilt" winch line. 230.00 I wanted the rope because its lighter but man thats a lot for rope. I'll have to shop around. One other question have you guys seen these used on the stock receiver?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Good stuff , thanks , I had not thought about pulling at an angle. BTW stopped by 4 wheel shop here in vegas and saw the "Smittybilt" winch line. 230.00 I wanted the rope because its lighter but man thats a lot for rope. I'll have to shop around. One other question have you guys seen these used on the stock receiver?
People get a little worked up over pulling at an angle. If your hitch mounted system is braced properly u will not have any issues. Check with NCFJ he makes a product that should meet your needs.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
They work great AS LONG AS YOU PULL STRAIGHT. As soon as you have to pull at an angle, you are putting A LOT of stress on the receiver and it could possible snap off on you.
This is not true. Receiver mounted winch trays have been around a long while. Most of the winch manufacturers make a tray. I've used this system for years with no problems at all, including severe angle pulls.

The MYTH about only pulling straight is just that, a myth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts