Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had uhaul install one on my Tacoma and liked it. Considering them for the FJ. They use Curt Valley and Drawtite. Total install would be $338 versus $650 for the Toyota hitch plus labor. Any concerns with the uhaul install? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Total install would be $338 versus $650 for the Toyota hitch plus labor.
How is that possible, a OEM hitch from Sparks is $156, add shipping and tax and it's no more then $200.

A Draw-Tite hitch is like $200 and a Curt is $178, free shipping 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com .

If you live in Michigan bring it over to my place and we'll get it installed...no charge.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wouldn't allow U-haul to touch anything I own. :cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
You'll sacrifice clearance if you go the uhaul route vs. OEM which may or may not be an issue for you depending on how you use the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Toyota dealer rapes you on the install. Guy told me they have to "run a wire all the way to the front." Uh no, you take a piece of supplied wiring and plug it into the harness in the driver side footwell. And you have to plug in a relay. Seriously, OEM install is a breeze. If I can do it, anyone can

waiiiit, just re-read. 650 PLUS labor?? That can't be right. They are really raping you on that! Like someone said, it's like 200 bux for the OEM hitch and harness. As I said in some other hitch thread: make sure you are getting the OEM hitch and harness. They will pass off the Reese hitch as OEM cos they install it at the port.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Had uhaul install one on my Tacoma and liked it. Considering them for the FJ. They use Curt Valley and Drawtite. Total install would be $338 versus $650 for the Toyota hitch plus labor. Any concerns with the uhaul install? Thanks.
Where are you? I'll come install the OEM for you. Charge you a 6-pack... that I won't even drink till after.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses so far. Can someone give me a link to the OEM hitch and wiring harness. Couldn't locate it on sparkstoyota.com. Did find a few sites like fjpartsstore.com which had it for $159 plus $84 I think for the harness. I have a torque wrench. How hard is it to install, particularly the wiring?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The wiring is a breeze. My husband and I installed the OEM hitch and wiring harness in about an hour. Simple and glad to have done it my self. The wiring is a simple plug in the back, a plug near the pedals and some fuses. No way i would pay the dealer charges. Plus i think the OEM hitch looks better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
can I install the oem hitch without removing the whole rear bumper skin and wings?
You may be able to, you would have to make sure to remove the screws underneath. I just followed the directions since this was my first time installing one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are you? I'll come install the OEM for you. Charge you a 6-pack... that I won't even drink till after.
Cool! I'm in north Fort Worth by Cabelas. Or, I can come to you, and it'll be a case of your choice!! (Um, if I get all the parts, do you know how to do the wiring too...?....:cool:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far. Can someone give me a link to the OEM hitch and wiring harness. Couldn't locate it on sparkstoyota.com. Did find a few sites like fjpartsstore.com which had it for $159 plus $84 I think for the harness. I have a torque wrench. How hard is it to install, particularly the wiring?
4 Pin Wiring Harness-Trailer Hitch at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

With black valance
Tow Hitch - BLACK REAR VALANCE at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

With silver valance
Tow Hitch at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

Helpful install tips
GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
can I install the oem hitch without removing the whole rear bumper skin and wings?
I'd be glad to help but Toronto is as close as I've ever gone in Canada, to answer your question you can do the install by just loosening one end of the bumper cover plus what's in this link. GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install .

To tell you the truth if I had it to do over I'd go with one of the frame rail mounted hitches, if you can read you can install one of these hitches in no time..2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com . Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I wouldn't allow U-haul to touch anything I own. :cheers:
^This is the 100.1% truth. And I would just install it myself. Its not hard at all. FJs are easy to take apart on the inside to run and wiring and its just bolting up in the rear. And the OEM one will be way cleaner and keep the clearance in the rear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts