Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the scoop folks, i had an after market hitch installed on my FJ and they also installed the harness, but and this is all new to me but seemed weird. They hooked up the harness and it is inside the truck, not too sure but shouldn't that be outside of the vehicle? am i gonna have to cut a hole in the floor pan to get it outside? right now is located in the jack/tool compartment on the LH side

thx

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh it wasn't u-haul, I'm not that crazy it was a company that deals with truck accessories, apparently :flame:

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
There are passthroughs on either of the side compartiments. You will find rubber grommets in the floor in the tool compartment. Look toward the rear of the compartment.

The easiest thing to do would be to make a small slit in the gasket to pass the wires through not the plug, just the wires. The smaller the slit the better and less chance of water, debris, etc. getting in your FJ. In fact if you have to take the harness apart to get just the wire through I would recommend doing so.

Some installers will put the plug inside the vehicle to protect it. If the plug is outside exposed to the elements it will corrode. Commonly when you hook up a trailer you would simply pull the plug outside and close the rear door. You could leave it like that or if you do end up mounting it outside make sure you get a protective cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts