Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some odd noise issues, have no clue if anyone here can help or not. I have an AVIC D3, and alpine (PDX) amplifiers. I have some alternator whine, so i figured a bad ground...well, my ground is directly on the chasis, drilled through the frame and bolted it up to sanded down metal w\ a JL Master lug bolt, then once bolted\secured painted over it to make it hidden.

I'm using 0-gauge all around and stinger rcas (Expert). The amp ground is perfect, so I didn't think that was it...so I cut the D3 ground wire (figuring our stock ground is crap) and spliced in a 12 gauge and ran it directly to the negative on the battery...no change.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly grounding the RCA shields on the D3 harness, which people on Avic411 say will work...any thoughts?

There is slight interference static, and then when I floor it you can hear the alt whine down when I let off the gas. There is a new 0-gauge ground going from the negative on the battery, to the engine block (where the alt is) and then to the frame. I really think it MUST be the D3 putting out the noise, but I wanted some other opinions.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
there are a few things it can be. since you didnt use a very convential grounding and changed a lot of things up, i would start with all the grounds. check the connections, check to make sure they are snug, check the crimps or set screws. then go to all the signal cables. pull the deck and run a new rca and see if you can eliminate the noise to once channel. if with new cables you still have the noise and it is only one channel, track down everything on that one channel to speaker wire and speakers. if thats cool, most likely a deck or amplifier issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are a few things it can be. since you didnt use a very convential grounding and changed a lot of things up, i would start with all the grounds. check the connections, check to make sure they are snug, check the crimps or set screws. then go to all the signal cables. pull the deck and run a new rca and see if you can eliminate the noise to once channel. if with new cables you still have the noise and it is only one channel, track down everything on that one channel to speaker wire and speakers. if thats cool, most likely a deck or amplifier issue.
Almost 100% sure the speaker wires are fine, and I'd find it odd that all three sets of RCAS output the same noise...apparently Pioneer decks are notorious for having crappy RCA-Ground solders, so I'm really starting to think that's it. I guess I can just wrap speaker wire\power wire around the d3 harness rcas and then ground them to the chassis of the D3. All of the grounds right now are rock solid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not running the inverter, but could you link me to a better power filter? Should I install this on the ignition and constant? (The two power lines). I tried doing what everyone with a Pioneer unit has had great success with and reports noise problems solved: Grounding the rca shields to the D3 Chasis w\ wire. Well, did that and it INCREASED the noise big time! And I know what noise it was picking up when the rcas were grounded...the bloody fan. Very obvious sound.

D3 grounded to negative battery terminal which has a reran 0-gauge to engine block to chasis, amps bolted directly to sanded down chasis...I honestly have no ****in clue what to do. EVERYONE reported success with grounding rcas on Pioneer units, so that's a huge bummer. I, orignally did not put the "Alpine power filter" on the harness, as a shop did (I've been going back improving ever since) so what color wires are the two power wires that I need to put the filters on?

Thanks in advance guys. Another thing to mention... I had a 30 yearold and a 35 yearold sit in the car and listen for the noises...they can't pick it up at all. Really annoying :( even my 23 y\o brother says it's nothing (though he notices it a bit, he says I'm insane for trying to fix it).

I still find it bizzare that I have alt whine and this hiss sound :( I also found out that my PASSENGER side dash speaker makes this kind of popping interference noise, while my RIGHT (driver side) does not, I'm guessing it's because the speaker is RIGHT next to the ECU system... *sigh*

Should also note that when RCAS unplugged from the amplifier, the only noise I have is normal speaker noise, no interference...;-(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I'm guessing no one that replied on this topic with ideas of power filters, knows a good power filter...ok....

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Try and connect your Ipod, portable CD player(what is that?) or mp3 player directly to your amp and see if the noise is still there. Completely bypassing your HU. If not then, yes it is your HU.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ok so I'm guessing no one that replied on this topic with ideas of power filters, knows a good power filter...ok....
I've had luck with this very inexpensive noise filter for a similar situation. This place is local for me, this is the exact part I have used.

That being said, if I'm understanding you correctly, you already have some type of noise filter which is not yet connected. Your head unit manual should have the harness wires listed and you should be able to find which are the power wires to put the filter inline with. This should be pretty straightforward.

There's also this nifty guide from Crutchfield for troubleshooting noise, which may help you.

toytaco gave a good suggestion there too for breaking it down and making sure it's the HU. Spend some time troubleshooting, let us know how it goes and we'll help you from there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a similar problem. Thought it was a ground issue but no luck correcting it. Even tried a ground loop isolator, no luck. Then one day by chance I eliminated the noise by repositioning the RCA cables at the amp. My RCA cables were about a foot longer than I needed so I could move the amp from under the seat to adjust it. Apparently the extra cable was laying too close to the 12 volt wire. As soon as I moved it the noise was gone. Hopefully something this simple is causing your problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar problem. Thought it was a ground issue but no luck correcting it. Even tried a ground loop isolator, no luck. Then one day by chance I eliminated the noise by repositioning the RCA cables at the amp. My RCA cables were about a foot longer than I needed so I could move the amp from under the seat to adjust it. Apparently the extra cable was laying too close to the 12 volt wire. As soon as I moved it the noise was gone. Hopefully something this simple is causing your problem.
Nope :-\. Even if my RCAS were running along close to power lines, they are triple-shielded stingers and shouldn't pick up ANY interference. I'm thinking a 10-amp power-filter is ideal, since the D3 has a 10-amp fuse it seems about right. I'm just not sure what line to hook these onto...if I remember correctly, there are TWO lines that can bring in alternator noise that supply power that go to the d3's harness...can anyone help here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hmmmm......
you may wanna check this out as it's quite similar to your situation....
Read through it, same ideas, so not of any help :-\
I guess I'll just get some 10-amp noise chokes. I tried Tsunami RCAS in place of my Stinger RCAS and there was no difference. It has to be the D3, and grounding the rcas increases noise, so hopefully putting power filters on the power lines will filter out any un-wanted noise (alternator) we'll see. I still need to know what color the wires are that i need to put them on. Is k44 on anymore? He seems to know a lot about them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts