Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have said this before to those who listen but the Jeep community has some things right. I can say this because I have a lifted 06 Jeep TJ. I am not the person for this but we should form a Bayou City FJ club of some kind. My Jeep club has one meeting during the month at a club and then rotate at someones house which is cool because it rotates sides of town. We raise money for different functions and of course my favorite anything todo with the Military. They also go on one run per month and rotate it from muds runs to beach runs to rock climbs that way everyone is happy. If someone gets sick we all do a car wash and then line up our jeeps to raise money and drive thru town. We can do this...

Someone smart could set up a website and a really cool club sticker for our FJs (something in that white oval always looks good). I am not saying we need to pay dues yet like my Jeep club but something that is ours. I meet so many folks with FJ is different parts of this huge city it would be a great FJ recruiting tool.

Most who know me know I am leaving again next month for military duty but I sure think someone could do this and we could have a bigger club than say a Jeep club. That would be awesome to out shine those guys.

A good point of reference is my Jeep club but I am not giving them any props by putting their web site but our name is Southern High Rollers of Houston. Their web site would be a good starting point to adapt to one of ours.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't mind joining up in a Houston organized club. I can come up with a design and make up vinyl for a club sticker if needed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Haha.... no.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Does the phrase herding cats mean anything to you:jester:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've been wanting a official fj club for a while but I do agree its like herding cats. :( planning the HHHs sucks bc everyone wants it on their back yard and when is good for them. This one was set so far out so that if you really want to come you have plenty of time to make arrangements and people still complain. You can only do so much...

If we are willing to make a official fj club I would participate and I even wouldn't balk at reasonable dues to pay for a grill badge, or club sticker, or runs, whatever. Im sure we have connections to get club items at a good price. I guess It just depends on how seriously people want to take it.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
The suggestions been brought up a number of times over the years. Thing is it never gets much momentum or support. If someone lends their time to do all the planning, coordinating, logistics, and other misc stuff it could work out.

I've been hanging around since 08 and have seen the following efforts occur: TTR Houston division, TLCA - Houston, TX4wd Houston, and FJ specific clubs. Several of those didn't end up happening and others the groups simply don't do much at all.

I'm just curious what functions do you guys envision that a club would do that isn't already done today? The Texas section of this forum often has HHH, meet and greets, trail rides, not to metion the DFW stuff as well. Just trying to understand the role the club would have. The TLCA & TX4wd meetings that I attended seemed to have more arguments and disfunction than the folks on here have about where to have a happy hour.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've attempted to reach out to other 4X4 groups and was ignored. Tried to tag along on a wheeling trip of theirs to meet and join. Never met them but since you say all they do at meetings is argue then I'm not really interested. This was when we were no longer allowed to go to BVORR unless we were members of a "club".

Really, for me it's the more frequent wheeling. I already have friends/drinking buddies through HHH. I try and make Jambo and Wheeltoberfest because those are big FJ events. We did WFTW and met some great FJ people too. I miss the days when a group of FJs would head out to BVORR for a day trip.:indifferent:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Damn! I thought we were organized! We post up, argue about what day and location and those are going to come and those that aren't going to come don't and we don't even pay membership fees for this! :lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Sheesh and I thought Colorado was bad :lol:... I gave up a long time ago :rofl::rofl:

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
I wouldn't mind joining up in a Houston organized club....=
:rofl: Have you met any of the Houston crew?
Haha.... no.
...It takes in excess of 3 weeks to plan a simple happy hour. :lol:

If you start working on the club today, I imagine everyone will be on board and the club will be fully in place 3.5 years from now. :bigthumb:
Does the phrase herding cats mean anything to you:jester:
Attention Deficit Hyperactive Houston Drivers of FJ Cruisers... or ADHHDF........ Oh look! A squirrel!

:jester:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Damn! I thought we were organized! We post up, argue about what day and location and those are going to come and those that aren't going to come don't and we don't even pay membership fees for this! :lol::lol::lol:
Sounds more like family than a club!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
This is like beating a dead horse.

My personal feelings.

What benefit will I get by becoming part of the club?
What would be different than what is done today?
Who in their right mind wants the BS associated with running a none profit club?
Who would want to participate in a for profit club if that were case?

In short maybe if the group had a meaningful objective but today the objective is wheel/drink beer. As soon as you start charging people to do stuff it creates problems and politics. Problems and politics are not conducive to having a good time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love my Jeep club and if you goto their calendar and click on each month on thr site we take the rigs out on a good ride every month plus the club meeting. The dates are set if you show cool if not cool no arguing. I just wanted that for my FJ in case I sell my TJ one day. Maybe we should just come up with a FJ Houston sticker that way when we see another one we can stop and chit chat. The benetit would be riding with your friends it does not get any better than that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I love my Jeep club and if you goto their calendar and click on each month on thr site we take the rigs out on a good ride every month plus the club meeting. The dates are set if you show cool if not cool no arguing. I just wanted that for my FJ in case I sell my TJ one day. Maybe we should just come up with a FJ Houston sticker that way when we see another one we can stop and chit chat. The benetit would be riding with your friends it does not get any better than that.
Like :bigthumb:

I agree with that. I did have a rather large reply to this thread that contained large paragraphs but I didn't want to bore anyone haha. I used to help organize a club when I was driving around in my Ford Focus as a daily(trying to sell it). The club was Team Focalize and we were just a group with a name and randomly gathered up for the fun of it. It was really just to have a name for our local area and that had the same interest, in modding Foci. Kinda like putting a forum sticker on the back of you vehicle, but more localized.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A list of events scheduled ahead of time so people can plan for them and are organized by a SMALL group of a few key (not political) people is all it takes to form a great club.

Than how you promote those events and organize them will determine their success.

An event that is promoted as experienced drivers only would be the event I would attend as there are just TOO many newbies in the FJ community in my opinion. Good luck!!

Keyword here is LIST of events...

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Heck, all I want to do is make it home to drive my FJ... and make it to the next cat herding known as HHH. Im currently in Malaysia and not holding my breath...

:cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea! What he said. Cats everywhere cats, here kitty kitty.

Good luck hope you can get something started.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Heck, all I want to do is make it home to drive my FJ... and make it to the next cat herding known as HHH. Im currently in Malaysia and not holding my breath...

:cheers:
Tell you what, fly us to Malaysia and we can have a MHH.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts