Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from an epic trip in SE Utah. Lots of pics. We went from Blanding to Hotel Rock(very nice and challenging trail), Arch Canyon, to Cal Black Airport and on out to the Hole in the Rock Trail(HITR).

It was a small group of us, led by Frenchie La Chance (4westernadventures). Spending several days out on the trail camping out. We had Jeeps, Tacos, Samis, and my FJ....so a good variety of vehicles. Everyone was cool, and was fun to hang out with.

HITR is basically the trail that a group of Mormon explorers made to colonize an area East of the Colorado River. Hole in the Rock Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The weather was cold and windy for the trip to Hotel Rock and Arch Canyon. The winds stopped blowing as we started to set up camp for the night, unfortunately the skies cleared as well. Needless to say, it was dam right cold!

Pics from day 1....

Lewis Lodges

Storm moving through while at Hotel Rock...

Hotel Rock trail surprised me in the challenges along the way...

View from camp...

next day....

We hit the highway between camp and Cal Black Airport, avoiding some deer along the way. Get to Cal Black...no one there....so a quick trip down to Halls Crossing for gas. Then it was back to the trail. First thing of business was to find the wagon wheel.

Found it!

Then back on the trail heading towards camp....

6-track intersection...

Camp Frenchie....getting the 4x4 Goulash going....

To be continued....

·
Admin
8,443 Posts
Excellent pics!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
next day...

It was time to go on the actual Hole in The Rock Trail. Tougher trail than I though it was going to be(7+). Fun obstacles and a blast getting up on Grey Mesa and clearing things out for a little bit.

It's crazy to think about what the pioneers did to get around back then.

Obstacle at the top of the chute.

End of the trail...

Where the Mormons carved the trail at....

From there it was back up the Chute, the Great Bend of the San Juan and off to the wagon.

Back to camp for some more Ghoulash, another beautiful sunset/sunrise, and then time to head back out...

Lake Powell/Halls Crossing Marina in the background...

Sorry for making you guys have to look at all those pictures.:rolleyes: I just thought the more I could show, the more someone could see without having to getting sand everywhere especially for those of you that have never been here to Utah.

I can mark HITR off my list of trails I have always wanted to do, but the more I saw in that area the more I want to get back down there and see what else there is because I know we just scratched the surface of what there is.

Who's up for a trip?!

:cool::cool::cool:

...and on a side note.....as I was heading home....just by pure luck I stop at a gas station on HWY 6 in Wellington and I run into my good friend Scott(MoabRat) and his family in their FJ on their way down to Moab. A minute or 2 either way and we would have missed each other. I guess stopping to eat a Buffalo Bacon Western Cheeseburger from Milt's Drive-in in Moab does provide good Karma!

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Do you have a map for the route you ran? I can sort of follow from Blanding to Cal Black by guessing from Google maps, but not sure how you got to HITR from there. Thanks! (PS - you can never have too many photos - they were awesome!)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a map for the route you ran? I can sort of follow from Blanding to Cal Black by guessing from Google maps, but not sure how you got to HITR from there. Thanks! (PS - you can never have too many photos - they were awesome!)
It is tough to find via google, the road starts next to Cal Black as you are heading toward Halls Crossing. Yeah I tracked it on my GPS, marked waypoints of interest and such. When I download it I will post up/send you the coordinates.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
It is tough to find via google, the road starts next to Cal Black as you are heading toward Halls Crossing. Yeah I tracked it on my GPS, marked waypoints of interest and such. When I download it I will post up/send you the coordinates.
That'd be awesome. HITR is a trail I'd love to do and this route looked like a real candidate for this year! :)

·
Admin
8,443 Posts
FYI...we had a couple Canucks down here with us on the trails....they were driving the Sami.
One day i will pestering the heck out of a lot of you guys on here to go wheeling through some of that beautiful country with me. :rocker:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Very cool. I did the Hotel Rock to the Needles trip with Bill Burke in May 2010. That rocky stretch on the way to Hotel Rock is excellent. Now I need to add Hole in the Rock to my list. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool. I did the Hotel Rock to the Needles trip with Bill Burke in May 2010. That rocky stretch on the way to Hotel Rock is excellent. Now I need to add Hole in the Rock to my list. :cheers:
Yeah, I didn't expect the Hotel Rock Trail to be what it is. Frenchie LaChance was leading us around(good friend/worked w/ Burke). Great guy, he has his own adventure company and has done the HITR at least 100 times. FYI, he helped design the layout for for Fins & Things, "Frenchie's Fin" is named after him. If you ever get a chance to wheel with him do it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used to take my boat to Lake Powell every year. We would always stop by Hole in the Wall. Looking up from the water always amazed me that those early Mormons could get their wagons down to the river. Great pics!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to take my boat to Lake Powell every year. We would always stop by Hole in the Wall. Looking up from the water always amazed me that those early Mormons could get their wagons down to the river. Great pics!
This was my first trip on this trail and I was amazed at the routes they took. Did you have any pictures looking up the cliffside from the water where they came down? That would be a great sense of what they did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts