Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a buddy and I have been thinking of places to go this summer, we found a ghost town in eagle county called Mill Pond... apparently this town rarely has visitors and is hard to get to if you dont like to hike. But, nontheless i am thinking of taking on this venture, however i would like to see if anyone has taken on Holy Cross in the FJ yet? i know the trail is rated at like an 8, and from the pics i have seen, its going to be a tough trail for any rig without a winch and/ or all the proper equipment, so im surious who has ventured to try it and what they found or how they liked it? we are planning this for maybe august if we go... that way i dont miss the summit. and hopefully... i can get a bunch of FJ's to take on this venture with us. any input would be great. thanks:rocker:

oh here is where we found this info...
Holy Cross City - Colorado Ghost Town

Mill Pond - Colorado Ghost Town

at this point this is all the info i have... i am still researching this area... not too sure that it even exists... will touch base with further information.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Depending on water levels in French creek, I believe it is doable in a well equipped FJC. I'd be up for a trip late in the year. It better be during the week too, as I see many groups make it to French creek, wait for a few hours on 20 other rigs and end up turning around.

Camping on a Monday or Tuesday night and starting as early as possible the next day would be the way to go to avoid the crowds.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, well see how things go. Im not sure yet if im confident enough to attempt this, as my FJ is mostly ill-equipped, except for a hi-lift and some shovels. haha. but maybe by then ill have my winch!

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
This sounds like a blast! The trail looks pretty gnarly, but once I get my winch on I will be willing to try it out...to a point...
I'll watch this thread to see what progresses but I think this sounds like a great, fun idea.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If you guys end up going during the week, I won't be able to make it (especially if my time off for Ouray gets approved). However, if it ends up being on a weekend that I don't have my kids, I'd love to join.

I tried this trail a few years ago in my F150 but had to turn around. The truck was just too long and after breaking one of my side steps on a rock, I will admit, I sissied out. From what I remember, I think I could make it in my FJ without too many bumps and bruises (lots and lots of rocks from what I recall).

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I don't know anything about this trail other than having heard the names. Have you tried sending a PM to Ace Brown? I know he has spent quite a bit of time in the area.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Honestly, the best time of year is as late as possible, early fall around September or October. If the water level is down early, than it can be done earlier in the summer as well. French creek is where everyone gets hung up and it can take hours for a group to get through. If it is wet, you will HAVE to winch through, and that doesn't guarantee you will make it through unscathed.

Sliders, skids, lift, 33s or bigger, rear locker and experience are a must. It would be also a good idea to have a few of the common spare parts including a front axle and tie rod and a good spare tire. I would also say that a winch is mandatory, but if there is 4 winches out of 5 we could make it work.

This is one of the most popular trails in Colorado and gets heavy heavy traffic on the weekends. I will not go on a weekend, and a Tuesday or Wednesday would be best. But even then, there will others on the trail.

·
fka ghoover
90 Posts
Always wanted to try this trail, but since the FJ is not only a toy but also my primary transportation, I can't afford an expensive break.

The snowpack I read this morning is something like 30% above normal, so I imagine that water levels will be high during the summer. Definitley a week day trip, I too have heard you can wait for hours for others to get over obsticles.

Sounds like fun though, if I end up with a winch this summer and some better than stock armor, I may try it with a group.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Search the Colorado section. It has been done before, and you might either find reports, or at least contacts of others that have done it.

I can't spend time looking into it right now, but if no one has found them, I'll post links to specific threads later sometime.

We probably won't go on this one.....no winch, and no extra vacation days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been trying to get to this trail for a while now, something always comes up to miss it(New baby in 2008, Weather in 2009 I think, work schedule for the 2010 run). If you get a group going Mon, Tues, or Wed, count me in. I work weekends and miss most of the runs here and on colorado4x4.org and usually run low level stuff all by my lonesome.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
sweet i will be back in colorado by then so count me in :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
To resurrect an old thread, what are your thoughts on Holy Cross? It looks like I'll be camping out there this weekend with some friends that are bringing buggies and such. I know they'll have much easier of a time than I will but should I even attempt it? I mean, it doesn't seem like it's a trail that many of you have tried. Any input would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You should be fine. The only problem area would be French Creek if there is a lot of water in it, but I doubt it is flowing right now with the low levels everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Search the Colorado section. It has been done before, and you might either find reports, or at least contacts of others that have done it.

I can't spend time looking into it right now, but if no one has found them, I'll post links to specific threads later sometime.

We probably won't go on this one.....no winch, and no extra vacation days.
I'm going to get you on a harder trail this summer at some point! Your FJ can do it.

You can make it. The trail is not that bad. I ran it last year at CO4RJ fully loaded with camping gear for the weekend event. you guys may not be doing and of the Cleavland rocks but you can get to the city.

Water levels are low this year and the creek looks much easier then last year for some reason.

Here are a few videos on the trail.
Jay's recent trip. The end with the green truck is Cleavland rock its above the city and if your hiking you dont need to do this.Music is NWS so speakers down...Song sucks anyways lol

Jeep guys- trail footage at 6:48

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I'm going to get you on a harder trail this summer at some point! Your FJ can do it...
Indeed. We've done 'harder' trails, but not necessarily 'the hardest' trails :lol:
I'm in anytime you are willing to spot me through some of that crazy kind of stuff.

In fact, if you do that, and don't bash me for taking like an hour to get through each obstacle.....positioning me just right to avoid ripping off my IFS or anything else, I would go for it next week if I weren't going to be in Ouray. :bigthumb:

Yes, let's get out on a trail. :cheers:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Im not the type to bash you for trying...I take enough crap over my rig and not wanting to turn it in to a rasin.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts