Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of years back I bought a Dakar Light Bar by Rampage.

In spite of the fact that the directions were the worst ever, it served it's purpose. It held lights. Sure I had to add vibration isolation pads to minimize the vibration effect while driving, but no harm done. It worked.

Well it rusted through. The tab that meets the bar rusted where it was welded.

I had a guy at the shop grind it down and reweld it for me, and just a couple of weeks ago the other side rusted through :flame:

So while this product was "fine" for a while, over the test of time it was "poor".

So I got out a tape measure, some paper, and my holy jeans and took some dims. I brought it to the shop and made a very simple light bar. I kept it simple because I like simple. While some are very happy with fancier tube work, this is very utilitarian and can be fabricated easily. Our welder dude was all over me because he could have done this, and that, and the other, and I said no.

I used 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16" walled tube, and some 1/4" x 1" bar stock.

Here is the 'old and busted'

...and for those who asked and asked how it was mounted since the directions were illegible even when compared to the directions for an IKEA desk, here is a photo.

And then here is the new KISS Light Bar.

It looks simple, right? On the verge of utilitarian? Perfect.

First I removed my bezel and tupperware bumper cover. I removed 'old and busted'.

I then mounted this simple piece of tube to the front portion of the structural bumper (what is removed when an after market bumper is installed)

Oh yeah, I got blasted with high winds, a thunderstorm, a sun shower, and the most refreshing spring downpour I can remember. I felt alive. ...but back on track here

I then lined up the mounting tubes on the KISS bar with the plastic grill, and cut two holes to accomodate the tube penetration. I just used tin snips. ..and then re-installed the front bumper cover

Folks, this just slides in and bolts to the installed structural tube.

So while the storm clouds moved off to the east and the sun started to set

I realized anew how wonderful the simple things in life are. A spring shower. A sunset. Strong steel. Simple designs. ...and two hands that can create a simple thing. I certainly am no Lucrum, Demello, or Bandi, but there comes a certain satisfaction of a job well done when you do it all from scratch.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Very Clean!

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Very nice!! It looks very good, and I sincerely wish I had the ability to just fab something like that. You should sell those! I'm sure ekool would give you a vendor discount....:D

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Great job Bill!....I like how you took the bull by the horns and DIY....Great job buddy :cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks pretty good :rocker:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
very clean and well done dragon..someone needs to make this and mass sell it...i want one i had a dakar light bar until a collision and it bent in half :(

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Nice design, very....Dragonized. :cheers:

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure you've got enough lights there Bill :rofl: .. come on a few can still fit ...
Looks good though :clap:
Maybe one day I'll have to get my S--t together and post up a build thread too ;)

Very nice!! It looks very good, and I sincerely wish I had the ability to just fab something like that. You should sell those! I'm sure ekool would give you a vendor discount....:D
I've thought about it. I really have. Thanks Dave.

Looks great! Did you think about mounting them inside the frame? Just curious looks awesome and something most can do as well!!
I wanted the bar close to the bumper so as not to detract from any approach angle, and if the lights were inside the 'frame', the housing of the lights would not fit due to the bumper, so I wanted the lights higher than the bumper. :) Thanks for the compliment.

Cool beans! I like it!
Thank you.

:bigthumb: Nice work Bill. Will it kill your passenger? I love the homemade stuff. it looks functional to me.
I HOPE not. I have the ejector seat for that. Thanks Frog! :)

Nicely done.
Thanks Gronch.

Great job Bill!....I like how you took the bull by the horns and DIY....Great job buddy :cheers:
Thanks. The joy is in the journey, right :cheers:

Looks pretty good :rocker:
Thank you rottman. :)

Great job, Bill!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

(And, truly worthy of being immortalized within the coveted FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum. :cheers: )
:eek: Thanks Steve. First I'd like to thank ... :lol: :)

very clean and well done dragon..someone needs to make this and mass sell it...i want one i had a dakar light bar until a collision and it bent in half :(
I've thought about it. The Dakar bar is poorly made and has no strength at all. I love the look of it and where it puts the lighting, thus I've mimicked the style but kept nothing the same.

Nice design, very....Dragonized. :cheers:

Great work, Bill. You said you will be making these for the mechanically challenged, and have them available to install at the Summit, Right? JK. The truck looks awesome.
GW
I really am contemplating making these, as it is so simple to do. Lately I have very little time personally, but .... well, we'll see. :) Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Dragon I like how that came out. Really good job as usual. I think it looks better with the lights sitting at the height they are at now.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dragon I like how that came out. Really good job as usual. I think it looks better with the lights sitting at the height they are at now.
I think I do as well, and my fogs are a bit closer to the ground where they are supposed to be; not much but a little.

·
Premium Member
17,099 Posts
Great job! Looks great. Chris

1 - 20 of 70 Posts