Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking for a way to add more storage to the back of my FJ, but I wanted something that would secure the cargo while wheeling. I really like the MPACs but I dont want to spend that much $$$ for storage when I can spend it on other mods. well I was wondering around killing time in Home Depot while my mom picked out some plants last week when I came across something that gave me an idea. Later that night I had finished and installed my own homemade rear door storage.
it was a very simple thing to build, I removed the rear door panel, measured the size I wanted the rack to be. then I cut the steel (I honestly dont know what this steal is supposed to be used for, but it meets my needs) one thing I will say if you are planning on doing this, make sure that when you cut the steel the holes are going to line up before you cut, and adjust accordingly so you can bolt it together later on.

everything all bolted together

after bolting it all together I used some quick steel at the corners, not really even to help hold it together but more so I didnt have any rough or sharp edges (you could weld the entire thing together, but I do not know how to weld so I went with bolts and quicksteel, it is still VERY SOLID).

all quick steeled and ready for painting

I sanded the entire thing down to rough it up so the paint would hold, also to smooth off the quick steel for a cleaner finish. I went the obvious route and primed it and then used rustoleum black paint, 1 coats of primer and 4 of paint (I did a lot just because things would be coming on and off it a lot and I wanted to be sure the paint would hold up.

installed on the door, I just used long bolts, and then I ran metal brackets along the underside of the door for extra support. I also used the biggest washers I could find on the underside to help spread the load out.

you cant see it in the pic but to keep things from sliding around I also put a bolt on the outer side of the door so its bolt/washer/plastic panel/washer/bolt to help secure the rack.

being very handy and a DIY type people seem to think I can never have to many tool belts, so I always get them as presents and have lots of extra at my house. to mount them I actually cut the bag off the belt, used my zippos to take care of any loose threads, and then actually drilled through the belt area of the bag and bolted it to the rack (make sure your holes in the belt line up with holes on the rack). I also mounted my flashlight on the rack and put a clip for my gloves.

mounted and ready to go

Im actually thinking about mounting an old metal ammo box to the rack to hold all my ratchet straps and tie downs, but I havent decided yet.
I had the rack mounted all weekend at the Trail Teams event, and it held up great!! all my gear was secure and in its place, and I was takin the FJ up down left and right, I was even taking bunny hills at 35, hard enough to toss my sub up of the floor boards. :rofl:

I think I paid about $50 for all the parts and paint. Its not the greatest rack but it works very well, I have a million options for bags and storage, and I could afford it :rocker:

Im actually considering building another smaller version and mounting it above the glove box in that dead space there, but I really dont know what I would need it for and Im not sure how safe it would be having a bunch of metal right there

any suggestions or comments are welcome

my next project is custom sub boxes and maybe a rack for the back of the seat, Im also in the design stages for a dog barrier that is removable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wonder if you add some footmans loops if you could turn it into a poormans MPAC rack because I want a rack also but cant afford 200 on just the rack I might have to try this myself of you dont mind

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice indeed! I like the part of mounting an ammo can.

Yeah I think Im going to clean it up and mount it, see how it works, worst case Ill take it off

I just may have to remove the Toyota nets and go with something like you made.
its such and easy thing to make, all you need are bolt cutters, a tape measure, the metal and about an hour.

I wonder if you add some footmans loops if you could turn it into a poormans MPAC rack because I want a rack also but cant afford 200 on just the rack I might have to try this myself of you dont mind
Im sure that you could add the loops, and def give it a shot! just make sure you mount it high enough on the door, mine is large and if it was 1inch lower the door wouldnt be able to close!!

Homemade mods are the best!!

Looks terrific.
yeah they are!!!! and you can make them to fit your needs perfectly!!!

I cant wait to start the next one!!:rocker:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
looks good, a permanently mounted tool belt or some canvas pouch would be cool.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
very nice indeed! I like the part of mounting an ammo can.

I just may have to remove the Toyota nets and go with something like you made.

I concur my nets my just have to go away, because this mod looks very attractive and much more functional.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I want my missing pieces back from my Erector set. :rofl: I like the home made mods.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks Great!!!:rocker: Nice job!!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice. My concern is holding the items in place snugly so they won't be swinging around. That area is going to get a lot of vibration. Really like your execution of the idea though.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nicely done!!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
X 3 Home made mods are the best !!! Why spend 200 bucks plus on a mounting system.Save that money for other much needed mods.This forum kicks ass with tips and suggestions.Glad to be a member !!!!!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the input all!!
Very nice. My concern is holding the items in place snugly so they won't be swinging around. That area is going to get a lot of vibration. Really like your execution of the idea though.
yeah I was a lil concerned about the vibration (especially since I have 2 large subs pointed right at the door. but I actually havent had any problems with vibration or bouncing around, even when wheeling:rocker:

I want my missing pieces back from my Erector set. :rofl: I like the home made mods.
youre mean!! JK my bro said something about erector set too... :rofl:

Wow .. looks really great. :rocker: While your building the next one, you can make me one too :cheers:
lol sure... Ill tell you what how bout we just trade FJs!?!?!?:bigthumb:

Good job. Well documented. maybe LandCruiser Steve will put it in his "Tech Articles section."
I could have been more detailed, I have some more pics and can get like disgustingly close to pointlessly detailed... if anyone wants
:king:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts