Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been lurking for weeks devouring all of the mod info I can handle. This place is the HEAT. I finally joined the forum and I’m ready to dive head first into my first mod, “Installing an overhead console”.

I’ve used all of the info I could scrounge from Swissarmy's and Wesayso’s threads regarding installing a Honda overhead. I’ve opted to use a ’06 Odyssey console with Homelink, courtesy light/LED, and conversation mirror (can’t see the kids/chaos without it). Oddly enough I wasn’t able to find a reference where anyone has installed the same unit as I’m using.

Has anyone installed this unit? Can anyone help identify how to wire the map light portion (three pin)?

I disassembled the Homelink unit and using a 9v battery was able to determine what-leads-go-where. I tried the same procedures for the map lights, but wasn’t able to narrow it down. I’m planning on running the connections through the existing dome light.

Well any help would be great. Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The black lead on the light may be a second hot lead for dual brightness. So try using the same ground from the home link.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess I shouldn't have posted the Homelink image, I've got that portion figured.

The half that has me lost is the “simple” three-pin for the map lights (see image). From what I understand the light is supposed to work like this…
1. Door opens, light turn on regardless of internal map light switch condition.
2. With doors closed, lights are off until pressed (switched on) one at a time.
3. With doors closed (and if wired to the “on” portion of the OEM dome light), both lights come on when the OEM dome light is switched on regardless of internal map light switch condition.

Considering this, I have not been able to simulate this power scheme. :flame: I can power the unit, I’m just having trouble figuring out how to MAKE as outlined above.
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
there is 3 wires .... in FJ lights.......why dont you take a tester take lights off and test which wire goes where ... and then you can figure out where you gonna connect your new lights ...

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe you need the Honda computer.
I sure hope not. :flame: That would suck goat balls.

there is 3 wires .... in FJ lights.......why dont you take a tester take lights off and test which wire goes where ... and then you can figure out where you gonna connect your new lights ...
I think you're on target, I just like to plan things out before I jump in there a waist hours on end with nothing to show for it but a hammer in the wall of the garage :rofl: LOL. This sounds like the best call yet...I'll try to squeeze it in when I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
458 Posts
U would just go for it .. find right wires .... best shot would be from driver seat ... you can push the button of the door so its shows lights or not ....
Usually I would find right wires or not and then run to store get what i need and start doin .....
as a shot i would just weld wires to light in car and wires to light what you wanna install ...
but sometimes i like to leave a option so i can return back to old version or create new one ...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
most light setups i've seen with 3 wires, one is constant positive. 2nd is door switched ground. 3rd is constant ground.

·
Registered
672 Posts
have you been able to complete this project? i am very interested in this one if it works out great?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have the 2000 odyssey and will check the maintenance manual if the map light wiring Diagram is included.

Will let you know tonight.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the 2000 odyssey and will check the maintenance manual if the map light wiring Diagram is included.

Will let you know tonight.
Thanks brother, that would rock! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, no detailed wiring diagram but just this;

Nothing to be sorry about, thanks for looking. :cheers:
I've had a long day, probably won't have a chance to leverage this info until this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
So how'd this work out? I see lots of consoles for sale with Homelink. What models fit well with the FJ headliner? Tacoma? Honda Odyssey? Celica? Any guidance?

This is a killer idea.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are sure that there's enough depth between the headliner and the roof to mount that? Also, the FJ lights mount into the headliner for support, how are you going to mount this given that it looks as though it should screw into a support above the roof?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Are sure that there's enough depth between the headliner and the roof to mount that? Also, the FJ lights mount into the headliner for support, how are you going to mount this given that it looks as though it should screw into a support above the roof?
Those would be some of my questions. I could create a box or a mount (or both), but if someone else has already figured out a "best practice" I'd love to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So how'd this work out? I see lots of consoles for sale with Homelink. What models fit well with the FJ headliner? Tacoma? Honda Odyssey? Celica? Any guidance?

This is a killer idea.
It actually worked out better than I expected. I have yet to connect the electrical elements, just haven’t had the time…work can be a real bee-ouch at times. I’m actually planning on finishing it over the extended 4th of July weekend.

As to what console works best, that’s an individual preference and based off your personal needs. I desperately needed a way to see my children in the back seat. Our 2011 Honda Pilot has a similar unit and I’ve grown accustomed to having the conversation mirror. From my research the 2006 Odyssey console seemed to meet all of my requirements; specifically I was looking for a unit that was affordable and contained Homelink, a courtesy light/LED, and a conversation mirror.

I personally recommend “Honda” because the colors are almost dead-on. Everyone who’s seen it is literally shocked when I tell them that I installed it myself and it’s from a Honda.:clap:

I’ll take a ton of photos as I connect the electrical elements and reinstall the unit.

Also, when I did my initial research into this mod, I was a little flustered by the pieces of information/details that seemed to be missing...hopefully what I post will be a nice addition to what folks have already posted. :cheers:

Yea, I was really concerned about that as well. All of my measurements indicated that the unit would protrude ~1” beyond the surface of the headliner. I’d seen photos of other installs and they all appeared flush. In nearly each instance the installer stated that they had to fabricate a bracket of sorts to force the headliner to rest flush with the unit’s edge. Most of them posted drawings that just didn’t make any sense to my limited brain-power.

As to making the cut, I have to admit that I was real apprehensive about cutting into the headliner...but after a little encouragement from Arthur Guinness I felt the risk was acceptable and went for it.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I really took my time, I think I spend over 90 minutes just taking measurements, then making adjustments, then taking more measurements. Once I felt secure I asked Mrs. BAJA TYM to come out to the garage and take a look. She has a way of finding all of the flaws in everything I do, so I figured who better to do the final inspection. Once she got to the point where she could no longer find anything to bee-ouch about...I mean comment about, I kicked her out of the garage and referred back to Arthur Guinness’ expertis and started cutting.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Once the section was removed and I placed the unit into place my heart dropped. It indeed protruded ~1.5” below the headliner.:sick: I was determined to make this work, so I went to the scrap metal pile and riveted up a bracket that pushed down on the headliner from above the cutout...the bracket forced the headliner to flex to the surface of the unit. Instant factory install!
As to bolting the unit to the ceiling, the headliner is very thick, so the tension combined with the bracket actually seated the unit in place – solid as a rock! No movement whatsoever!:rocker::rocker:

This might not make sense in written form, so like I said above, I’ll post as many photos as I can and hopefully it’ll all make sense.

In the meantime, here are a couple of things I’ve thrown together that may help others out. One item is the template I created for my unit.

Just a word of caution, if anyone chooses to use it -test fit it on cardboard before you cut your headliner - don’t come crying to me if you’re stupid enough to cut your headliner from a template some jackass made for the internet without test fitting it yourself! Also the template was designed specifically for my “2006 Odyssey” console as picture in the first post.

Let me know if the drawings don't make sense...I'll adjust them as needed. More to come soon!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I'm really interested in the results of this install. I saw wesayso's original map light and scanguage install and loved that setup for the location of a scanguage along with the inclusion of some map lights. And I figured, while I'm at it, I'll throw in a homelink setup. I was actually also looking at the same maplight that you picked up, so this install will help me out greatly.

Please post up some pics when you can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts