Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention all! I have an 07 FJ cruiser. When i purchased it I decided to get a clear bra put on the hood to prevent damage. I recently noticed it was discoloring so this past weekend i proceeded to take it off. Not only did it leave the adhesive on the hood, but it took all the paint off on the section of the hood that is a separate piece in the front. Luckily I was able to get a replacement that is the factory color of my vehicle from toyota for $250.00. And it took close to 3 hrs to get the adhesive off with a product i got from toyota. I highly recommend not getting a clear bra unless you plan to never take it off.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That sucks to hear doozer! I would check the directions if any came with the clear bra and see if it mentions anything about a removal solvent or special removal directions. If it doesn't have anything like that written in there, bring up the issue with where you purchased the clear bra and maybe the manufacturer if you need to and see if they can help you out with your situation. Good luck with finding a resolution to your problem!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I wonder if the bra was applied too early, before the paint had fully cured. I never liked any car bras. It may prevent damage, but the areas not protect by it will be obvious-like a bad tan.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If it was 3m, i think you can call them and show them some pictures of what happened and get your money back. If it was some other company, good luck. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage, but at least everyone else knows not to use the clear bra!:rocker::bigthumb:

·
Registered
476 Posts
That sucks to hear. I was taking mine in to get it done today. I guess that is a no go for me. Good luck in getting the problem resolved.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear of your problem with the bra.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
I doubt that it was a 3M clear bra, the 3M does not discolour or yellow. I have had mine on the FJ for over 2 years now and it is still clear.

As far as it peeling the paint from your hood and leaving adhesive behind......all operator error. I had the hood section on Tundra removed after 6 months and had it re-done with no issues.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry to hear that. How did you remove it? Did you just pull it off or did you use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive first?

·
Premium Member
17,095 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
that is crappy. I have like a 100 foot roll of 3m and never used it except for wrapping stuff to ship. I thought of the bra thing but realized it's uneccesary. unless you put it on the A pillars
but on the lighter side, think about a clear bikini instead.(sorry ladies, I'm still a caveman)

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
I have the 3M film on now for 18 months and it looks like new. The guy who installed it said they can remove it and install another if it gets damaged. He said he ONLY uses 3M because it's the best and they stand behind their product consistently.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
that sucks they con you into getting a bra, then when you do and you take it off it screwed the paint up and then they make you pay hundreds of dollar to fix it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow, that's lame! However, I do thank you for posting this, my clear bra took the brunt end of a tree once while on a trail and it started to lift the adhesive abit. I was debating on removing it, but now I won't be.

Sorry to hear about that ...

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Wow - not good - thanks for the heads up - :bigthumb:

-

-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts