Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when I'm driving on the highway, mostly into the wind, the hood flexes in the middle. Bubbles up and down. I'm taking to the dealer tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I haven't

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I haven't noticed this in my FJ, but I will look tomorrow.

My 2004 F-150 did this right near where the wipers were. Very annoying. always made me a little nervous about the hood flippin up or something.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update 1: The dealer I just took it to in another town where I happened to be visiting said, "That's just how the hood is made, there's no adjustment for it". That was it, no sorry, nothing. NOT FRICKIN GOOD ENOUGH, so, I'm taking it to another dealer, I don't care if they have to order a whole new hood. I want that fixed, it's very distracting on the highway, especially after a fresh coat of wax! MORE TO COME....

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't usually break the sound barrier, that's just it. Usually 72-73 on a 70 mph highway. And it mostly depends on which way the wind it blowing. I'm curious now that there are a couple people who have this too, but some who haven't.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Mine doesn't.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't usually break the sound barrier, that's just it. Usually 72-73 on a 70 mph highway. And it mostly depends on which way the wind it blowing. I'm curious now that there are a couple people who have this too, but some who haven't.
Are you lifted? If so, the FJ's rake is gone. This has changed the aero flow over the hood. I'll bet your roof flexes now too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't noticed this on the FJ, but it did remind me of a fun experience with a Ford.

My brother has a 1960 Ford F250 that belonged to my dad and his dad before that. One time he and my dad were driving down the freeway and the hood popped up and ripped off after a few seconds. (1960 was before Ralph Nader's activities) I wasn't there, but he can sure tell the story. One for Ford.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
mine got worse with the ARB and lift but it is still bad...everone look the next time your on the hiway....I would guess it's all fj's not just yours or mine....don't be scared of the speed limit 75 in AZ..it wont make a sonic boom..I promise

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I just removed the hood, I like the look of a bare engine.
That makes it a true trail rig now doesn't it:)

Anyway, I have not noticed this at any speed. You think that would be the sort of thing you would notice. I'll check today on the way home, but suspect all will be good.

Let us know how it works out at dealer number 2!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you lifted? If so, the FJ's rake is gone. This has changed the aero flow over the hood. I'll bet your roof flexes now too.
Nope, no lift or exterior mods, it's only a couple weeks old.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update 2: I had some issues with the service dept I mentioned earlier. I got a call from their Customer Relations Mgr who asked me to bring it back in and she would make sure they did something about it. So, they initially put an expanding foam between the hood and hood frame but they didn't like the results, it was seaping out and looked piss poor, so, they just put a new hood on it. I haven't noticed it since, but we'll see, it hasn't been windy. I don't think I'm overreacting. I just don't think the hood on a brand new 30k vehicle should be fluttering in the wind like a piece of paper.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Finally remembered to look while out on the highway this week. No flutter at all at speeds up to 85 mph and it was a windy day! I think you had a bad hood so hopefully your new one will be okay.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts