Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Yes I have noticed this to the point where I stop on the highway to check that it's closed. Good call!

And I am lifted too.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Best I can tell it was a defective hood. When they replaced it, the new hood actually seems more stiff in the middle. When I'd push on the middle of the old one, it would bend under the pressure of my hand easily. If anyone has this problem of the hood flexing on the highway, I'd definately take it back to the dealer and MAKE them fix it.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Best I can tell it was a defective hood. When they replaced it, the new hood actually seems more stiff in the middle. When I'd push on the middle of the old one, it would bend under the pressure of my hand easily. If anyone has this problem of the hood flexing on the highway, I'd definately take it back to the dealer and MAKE them fix it.
LOL...you just made just go in my garage and push on my hood...solid.:)

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
They really fixed it??? I'm there...I told you mine flapps around like a peice of paper....Toyota here I come...mine all scratched up too...nice!!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Defective hoods: who would've thought that?

Mine's solid driving 80 MPH a lot thru Texas, but I'll keep an eye on it...

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They really fixed it??? I'm there...I told you mine flapps around like a peice of paper....Toyota here I come...mine all scratched up too...nice!!!
Trust me, it took some *****ing to get them to fix it. When I filled out my dealer survey, I layed into them tactfully and harshly and sent a copy to Toyota Motor Corp. I got a call from the customer relations mgr at the dealer. She made the service dept fix it! If Toyota plans to keep outselling GM, they need to keep there customer base happy and telling me "that's just the way the hood is" isn't the way.

Best of luck to anyone with the same problem with the hood

·
Registered
757 Posts
Haven't noticed it on mine but I'll check it out on the way home.

·
Registered
190 Posts
haven't paid attention to it either...but i am def going to check it out tomorrow...

the hood on my last car def had a lot of movement...on the freeway at speeds above 75 the hood shook like crazy...

altho it's probably because it is made of aluminum and has a giant hood scoop on it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I haven't noticed this on the FJ, but it did remind me of a fun experience with a Ford.

My brother has a 1960 Ford F250 that belonged to my dad and his dad before that. One time he and my dad were driving down the freeway and the hood popped up and ripped off after a few seconds. (1960 was before Ralph Nader's activities) I wasn't there, but he can sure tell the story. One for Ford.
Coincidence... I think not. I have a 1960 F100 that the hood catch broke in two when I was on the freeway (no safety catch back then). It stayed up but I was able to get off the highway by looking out the side windows. I then put a chain on the hood to keep it down. It hasn't ran for a few years and is now resting comfortably in my pasture. But I'm thinking maybe it's time for a class action lawsuit. :) I'd like to see a pic of the Ford if you have one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same exact issue with mine - separated at multiple mount points. Michael's Toyota in Bellevue, WA jacking me around on the issue and saying that it isn't their problem. "it appears that someone tried to break it apart??" Time to find another dealer. I can't believe how crappy Toyota service is. I'm seeing a theme here. Perhaps time to switch back to VW/Audi. I NEVER had any bogus issues like this over what is clearly a manufacturing defect.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's been a while since I've seen this thread. I just reread my previous posts and the best thing I can tell you is to get the dealer's Customer Relations Manager involved, ESPECIALLY if it's still under warranty. Since they replaced my hood with a new one over a year ago I haven't had any issues with flex or flutter. What caught the dealers attn was me basically saying I'd trust a blind ape with a crow bar to fix my FJ more than their service dept.

I've got the same exact issue with mine - separated at multiple mount points. Michael's Toyota in Bellevue, WA jacking me around on the issue and saying that it isn't their problem. "it appears that someone tried to break it apart??" Time to find another dealer. I can't believe how crappy Toyota service is. I'm seeing a theme here. Perhaps time to switch back to VW/Audi. I NEVER had any bogus issues like this over what is clearly a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If you guys have this issue just caulk it with a high quality polyurethane caulking between the joints that should fix it if the dealer doesn't. It just separates from each other...we saw it on Tibaals rig too.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I took mine up to over 90 mph today on Speedway Blvd., with no other vehicles around of course, and the hood is as solid as a rock. Mine is level with a 3" front lift & 1.5" rear lift.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Old post but my 2011 does it. It buckles up and down right in the middle. I've noticed that the hood and frame aren't really connected... Looks like they were just stuck together at done point with a dab of glue maybe?... At several different places

21 - 40 of 43 Posts