Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My name is Doug and I live up in Toronto...although I've only been here for a little over a year....originally I hail from the southwest of Scotland.

I am going to be buying my first canadian car very soon and I'm pretty much set on an FJ...probably an '08 and hopefully in black (if I can find one!).

With that in mind...if anyone has any useful experiences/warnings about the FJ please let me know and I will forever be indebted! :cheers:

My motoring background is a little varied - back in Scotland I had two small Vauxhall's (Corsa & Astra) followed by a Mazda Protege 5 (which still lurks in my parents garage until I can ship it over) and most recently a Mazda RX-8 40th Anniversary Edition. For now I am running around in my girlfriends '06 Saab 9-3 until I get my own wheels again!

I had a long history with the Mazda Protege club/forum in the UK - Club323F • Index page and was a moderator & staffmember for about 5 years until I moved out to Canada. My Protege5 is still the fastest non-turbo P5 in the UK and has been my labour of love for many years! As you can probably tell from that I am a modifying fan and already have a list of plans for my future FJ once I get my hands on one! :bouncy:

Hopefully I will be around on here for a good while as well!

·
Premium Member
16,934 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome and good luck getting your rig.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Doug,
I have been FJ shopping myself for about 6 months, two things I would warn you about is be patient, a well maintained used FJ can be HARD to find at a decent price, I have had a couple deals fall through at the last minute.

The other thing to watch out for is the fender bulge/tear that is well documented on these forums and even has a facebook page to try to get it some attention.
Toyota FJ Fender Crack/Bulge: A Real Problem Deserves A Real Solution | Facebook

Best of luck in your hunt, hope you have better luck that I am finding a good used one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Doug,
I have been FJ shopping myself for about 6 months, two things I would warn you about is be patient, a well maintained used FJ can be HARD to find at a decent price, I have had a couple deals fall through at the last minute.

The other thing to watch out for is the fender bulge/tear that is well documented on these forums and even has a facebook page to try to get it some attention.
Toyota FJ Fender Crack/Bulge: A Real Problem Deserves A Real Solution | Facebook

Best of luck in your hunt, hope you have better luck that I am finding a good used one.
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Interesting reading on the fender bulges - and not something I thought to check. I've test-driven two FJ's already while I wait (I'm in the annoying situation of having the cash to purchase but I'm waiting for my canadian work visa so have no cash to run anything :mecry:) as our dealer in TO is fantastic. Both were '07's - one with 130k on it and one with 65k on it. I was incredibly impressed with the higher mileage one though as it didnt have a squeak, rattle, vibration or anything!

Like I say though the dealer is fantastic and have already sold my gf's parents a pair of Toyota's...so I know they are the place to go!

I would like a low-mileage '08 in black....it remains to be seen what they can find me when the time comes!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Welcome to the group!! I know you will find what you are looking for. After you find the right FJ for you...get ready for the fun to start!

:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really hope to be able to get my hands on one soon...its been almost 2 years since I've been able to properly modify anything (blame Canada Immigration on that one!) so I'm itching to start on an FJ. I am sure my plans won't be to everyones tastes, but I've been through this with the Protege5 - its the joy of modifying how you amaze some and disgust others. As far as I'm concerned if you provoke a response you have done your job!

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
*fingers crossed* for you getting the perfect FJ !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep us posted when you get your FJC
Oh dont worry I will...along with gratuitous pictures. I must have thousands of my last two cars as I love nothing better than showing them off! :clap:

·
Admin
8,449 Posts
Good luck!

My only advice would be to keep your eyes open her in fjcruiserforums vehicle sale section.
I found a great used one there for a good price.

They tend to be cheaper in the US and importing is not hard to do with the FJ's.

I saved MANY thousands of dollars.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have my FJ!

Admission time...I've had it since October, but I also got a new full-time job last July and I have been so busy getting into it that I havent had time to show off my truck!

It's a Blue 2007 Auto with the "B Package" and came with 112,000kms, although through work I've already put another 14,000 kms on it! I would have liked a slightly higher spec model, but this was the one the finances could stretch to!

It has a few extras on it though, namely "Predator" Running tube sidesteps, a Class III trailer hitch and rain-visors (that will be coming off the doors soon - the previous owner was a smoker, I'm not so don't want them!)

All I've added is a carpet mat to the trunk for now, although the first plans are to refinish the side-steps with black bedliner paint and have the factory rims refinished in black as well. Beyond that we will see what time and money allows!

Pictures to follow very shortly once I get my finger out and upload some!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts