Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My SC will be installed this week and I really don't want another loud vehicle. I had the Corsa exhaust on my sequoia with the SC and honestly it was a bit to much noise wise for my age. I feel like a grandpa for even stating this. LOL. Back in the day it was all about cherry bomb or straight exhaust but now its just different.
I have been on youtube and listened to just about every exhaust inside and outside the vehicle and read way more than I post here.

I understand that loud doesn't equal power as I once raced a civic SI (stickers, tail, super loud exhaust, etc) with my wives honda odyssey and dusted him:) I think his girl friend left him that day because she was laughing at the next light:)

Questions:
1. Will the TRD CAT BACK really give you more useable HP/Tq with a SC? Honestly I would rather have the tq than the HP any ways. Regear??
2. Anyone have any good experience designing their own dual exhaust with a decent muffler and have dyno results? I've only read negatives about the current duals on the market I really don't want to go header either but duals do look sweet on the FJ.
3. Ultimate system what would you do and stay in warranty?

Thanks in advance.
________
Volcano Vaporizer

·
Registered
98 Posts
What you could do is either install two mufflers or install a muffler and a resonator. The xrunner guys run two mufflers on the URD catback or a custom one as the 1grfe in famous for drone when your straight piped (long tubes, urd y pipe, performance catback) and most of those guys are running boosted set ups. My 4runner came with a resonator from the factory I really can't tell a difference but I'm running just long tubes on my truck, the rest of the exhaust is stock. There are only 2 people that I know of that are running a true dual exhaust set up with the 1grfe and both are Xrunners. one of them is the APR truck, which is a beast and super loud. If your talking about the single in dual out muffler you won't see a difference on this engine in terms of performance. If your worried about the warranty you can get the TRD exhaust but I wouldn't go down that route.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Questions:
1. Will the TRD CAT BACK really give you more useable HP/Tq with a SC? Honestly I would rather have the tq than the HP any ways. Regear??
2. Anyone have any good experience designing their own dual exhaust with a decent muffler and have dyno results? I've only read negatives about the current duals on the market I really don't want to go header either but duals do look sweet on the FJ.
3. Ultimate system what would you do and stay in warranty?

Thanks in advance.
1. I can't tell ya if the TRD Catback adds more if added after the super charger as mine was installed before the SC. The exhaust note does sound better than any exhaust i have heard though. Unless you are running 35s, or towing constantly, there is no real need to regear with the SC.

2. Catback dual exhaust on a V6 have always and will always sound horrible to me, personally (on a trucks engine). I had a JBA exhaust and it was too loud at idle and cruising for me. The TRD catback is quiet at idle, quiet at cruising, but roars when you step on the throttle, which is exactly what i wanted.

3. I would stick with TRD parts if warranty is a concern. My guess is you'd have much less hassle with warranty issues if you had an all toyota modded engine (TRD CAI, TRD SC, TRD exhaust) than if you had different brand intakes and exhausts. I have the parts i just mentioned and it sounds terrific, and it is really quick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts