Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it hard? (how)? ...to get the "horse smell" out of a horse trailer that i wanna make into camper?

i got a nice 4 horse trailer for free..how do i get the farm smell out...i have all the gear to make a nice camper out of my old RV....any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I would suggest tearing out the wood on the flooring and replacing it, then I would suggest renting a power washer and some simple green, then finish it off with a gallon of febreeze and a day in the sun, then Do Work Son!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
All of that sounds hard. A clothes pin is a little cheaper. Maybe some lawnchairs. Throw some astroturf or used carpet down as flooring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Coming from someone who has been involved with horses for approaching 20 years (from when I was a young girl), the way to get the "horse" smell out, short of completely stripping the trailer (which you shouldn't have to do), is just a few good disinfectings. I've kept my horses at many farms that didn't even smell like horses lived there because they were kept so clean. Pine Sol, ammonia, and bleach should become your good friends...but not all mixed together of course! Scrub the whole thing down a few times and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
If the flooring is wood I would remove it. It will have soaked up too much to ever really get clean. Ohterwise, all the above information :)

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
I 2nd, 3rd, 4th the wooden floor removal.

However this little gem could save you a bit of time:
http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/OdoBan_Odor_Eliminator.html

Available in the gallon size at Sam's club for like $5.00.
Sam's Club - OdoBan - 128 oz. jug & 24 oz. bottle

Ive used this in commercial and home cleaning alike -- works wonders.

Heck I even sprayed a bit on my cabin air filter mod:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/53984-boring-weekend-2-cabin-air-filter-cheap.html

even better:
Sam's Club - OdoBan® Commercial Odor Control – 128 oz.
and:
Sam's Club - OdoBan® Commercial BioOdor Control - 1 Gallon

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure how old the trailer is but if it's fairly new (within the last 10 year or so) more than likely it doesn't have wood flooring. They began making the trailers out of aluminum, including the flooring, and putting heavy duty rubber matting on top of the floors for comfort and cleanliness reasons.

Also, just using odor controlling products isn't the route I would go. You would want to actually get it clean rather than just mask the smell.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
MRS.RAILROADN said:

Also, just using odor controlling products isn't the route I would go. You would want to actually get it clean rather than just mask the smell.
I agree.

However one of the products I linked about actually EATS the bio debris left behind and thus cleans the area quite thoroughly.

YMMV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts