Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :)

I Have had my FJ for a week now and on longer drives or beach/off road it gets uncomfortably hot under my foot next to the transmission and exhaust, is this normal or something i should be troubleshooting? it has been very hot days here but still seems a bit to hot to be normal. Im assuming its most likely the exhaust needing a heat shield but hope someone with FJ Knowledge can lend some advice.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
G'day Mate,
Welcome from Sydney.

check your heat shields.... but also, tell us a bit more about your J... is it stock ? kms ? any mods ?

Cheers

Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ill check the heat shields. the FJ is Stock 100% at the moment and has 85000km in it 2014 build. everything else runs perfectly.

by any chance does anyone have a photo of what heat shield should be there?

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Thanks ill check the heat shields. the FJ is Stock 100% at the moment and has 85000km in it 2014 build. everything else runs perfectly.

by any chance does anyone have a photo of what heat shield should be there?
Gday mate,
I'll get some pixs for you.
Have you fitted a transmission cooler?...and done an ATF Flush
That will help also help the temps.

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gday mate,
I'll get some pixs for you.
Have you fitted a transmission cooler?...and done an ATF Flush
That will help also help the temps.

Cheers
Baz
Thanks, next on my list is a trans cooler. and is it hard to do a transmission flush?

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Thanks, next on my list is a trans cooler. and is it hard to do a transmission flush?
Gday mate,
The tranny flush isn't hard, there are several threads here that detail how to do it..
A simple 4 litre pan dump and fill, is probably enough.
Might seem like a dumb question, but are you experienced at beach driving?
There is a technique to safe beach driving, if not employed....you'll cook the ATF really quickly.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gday mate,
The tranny flush isn't hard, there are several threads here that detail how to do it..
A simple 4 litre pan dump and fill, is probably enough.
Might seem like a dumb question, but are you experienced at beach driving?
There is a technique to safe beach driving, if not employed....you'll cook the ATF really quickly.
Cheers
Baz
Hey Baz
yeah i have done a bit of beach driving but until now always in a manual. so did a bit of research when i bought the FJ and please correct me if im wrong but i use 2nd or 3rd gear and keep the revs fairly constant to try not to overwork the torque converter? The sand is soft on Stocton at the moment so running under 15psi.

Actually went out tonight again and it was just warm not hot, i think that day i went out it was 45 degrees celsius and it may have been the heat from the exhaust at low speeds.

Thanks for all the help, ill look into doing a trans flush and fitting a cooler ASAP plus check my heat shields.

Cheers

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Tyres will have an effect on loading as well.
Stiff sidewalled MTs will make everything work a lot harder than a set of ATs.
For sand, you can't beat Cooper AT3.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Another cause of heat like that is if it is running too rich and the cat is burning off the excess hydrocarbons... they can glow red hot when that happens.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Hey Baz
yeah i have done a bit of beach driving but until now always in a manual. so did a bit of research when i bought the FJ and please correct me if im wrong but i use 2nd or 3rd gear and keep the revs fairly constant to try not to overwork the torque converter? The sand is soft on Stocton at the moment so running under 15psi.

Actually went out tonight again and it was just warm not hot, i think that day i went out it was 45 degrees celsius and it may have been the heat from the exhaust at low speeds.

Thanks for all the help, ill look into doing a trans flush and fitting a cooler ASAP plus check my heat shields.

Cheers
G'Day Aaron,
OK ..cool mate..sounds like you got it covered, and driving in sand well....
lol, I wondered if you were running Stockton in the [email protected] ... been a tad warm lately...the heat in the sand was probably closer to 60C... so not surprising things got hot ... haha

Here are a coupla pics, of the heat shields ..not the best photographer ...but you can see the flimsy heat shields near the CAT and further back at the Y pipe....

I dont think you have a heat issue, and its more just the day ....

Get the tranny cooler ..asap... and dump 4 litres from the pan, and you should be good...

Cheers
Baz

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Bah. 45... Just a spring day.
Try digging in 55, that'll put hairs on your chest (and give you heatstroke).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts