Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several days of consideration I'm excited that I will be attending this great event this year. Thanks to all of you who posted hundreds of awesome pictures to help make the decision easier. What hotels does everyone recommend? I searched the Best Western but it looks as if they are already booked for those 4 days. I believe my folks will be coming along & I plan on bringing my dog so a pet friendly hotel would pretty much be a must. Any suggestions would be great, Im looking to book in the next few days. Also this may be a stupid question but what costs are involved in running the trails & events during the Summit? Just want to get an idea. Thanks everyone! It will be a long trip from southeast Iowa but I know it will be worth it. Look forward to meeting a lot of you who plan to attend. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I just called the Best Western this morning. The website showed sold out but they still have rooms if you mention the Summit. The price they quoted me was 170 a night. Ouch. Pets are 20 extra per night as well.

I will probably look into campgrounds as well but at least I have this in my back pocket if I need it. I'm not sure I want to be one of 'those people' that come rumbling into camp at dark hours of the night. For that matter I am not even positive yet that I will be able to get the time off, but hey..I am setting myself up for success hehe.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow 170 a night is pretty rough! I have looked at a lot of the places, more wanted to see anyones personal experience of nice places. Ill do some calling around & see what I can find. Luckily I already scheduled the vacation & am really pumped to get to go, and have 2 weeks off work for that matter. Here in southeast Iowa the only other FJ's I see are usually woman or old men mall crawling & though mine doesn't see a lot of offroad time, it will be great to get to meet a lot of people & see some incredible rigs. Thanks for the input so far I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I was also looking for a pet friendly hotel also, but I didn't want to spend $170 + per night. What worked best for me is the Rivers Edge Motel. They had a good room rate and with the discount for either AAA or AARP the rate was $91.75 plus a $10 per night pet fee. (thats the rate I got a month ago) They have breakfast in the morning and the hot tub is open 24/7. Toll free number is 866-739-4987.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does someone who has been to the Summit in the past know how the schedule is? I booked to arrive on the 20th, and check out on the 24th, but was thinking about it and would I want to arrive on the 19 and check out the 25?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Does someone who has been to the Summit in the past know how the schedule is? I booked to arrive on the 20th, and check out on the 24th, but was thinking about it and would I want to arrive on the 19 and check out the 25?? Thanks

As far as the Summit, I think your dates are fine.

Trail Rides: Thursday 21, Friday 22 , and Saturday 23

Leave: Sunday 24th. Group picture at break of dawn.

The only issue might be when you arrive on the 20th. Will you have time to register and get your vehicle ready? You can late register on Thursday. Plus it also depends if you want to sight see on you own.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks Buckwheat
Is that 2011 summit info up somewhere? The website only has a note to stay tuned for details?

As far as the Summit, I think your dates are fine.

Trail Rides: Thursday 21, Friday 22 , and Saturday 23

Leave: Sunday 24th. Group picture at break of dawn.

The only issue might be when you arrive on the 20th. Will you have time to register and get your vehicle ready? You can late register on Thursday. Plus it also depends if you want to sight see on you own.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Thanks Buckwheat
Is that 2011 summit info up somewhere? The website only has a note to stay tuned for details?
All we know so far is the dates but they pretty much follow the same format each year. Just subscribe to this forum. You want to register as soon as you can, once registration opens, if you want to get certain trails and times. They do 'sell' out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the extra info, I was unaware of all of this as it will be my first time going too. Ill be sure to keep checking the site to get registered for the trails I want to run. I've been busy with work & haven't booked a hotel yet but plan to the first part of next week.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Look for registration to open towards the end of the month. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
For those who have not been to Ouray before, picture a small town at the end of a box canyon. The next closest town is Ridgeway and is smaller yet. Montrose is the closet 'Big" town. The Summit is in the middle of their tourist season.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just booked a room at the Ouray Hotel. It's cheaper than most of the other hotels in Ouray but seems to be nice, just lacking a few amenities perhaps. I saw mostly excellent reviews on tripadvisor so I went with it. I chose an $80/night room but there are some for as little as $50/night at this hotel.

Have any of you stayed here before? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
39,417 Posts
The Timber Ridge Lodge on the north end of town is pretty basic but nice. I think I paid around $70 a night. It's also right next to the gas station.

The Ridgway Lodge in Ridgway is 10 miles north of Ouray. It's a nice place and I think was $100 a night roughly. It's right off of the main intersection and next to the gas station/store and a car wash.

This is the Ouray site and the lodging link is at the top.

Ouray Colorado :: Home

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Last year I stayed at the Timber Ridge Lodge, outside of camping it was the cheapest place I could find. The room was large, TV, large bathroom and bed was comfortable for about 60 bucks a night. Very basic room. No a/c however it was in the low to mid 50's every morning.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts