Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for Houston folks, there is a great spot on the far west side of town I go once a month to engage 4X4. there is a large dirt hill, very steep. Clearly other 4X4 vehicles are going over this thing, I dont have the guts but if anyone is interested in trying, i want to get some pictures of it.

Let me know if anyone wants to visit this trail, there is actually some fishing opportunities back there as well.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I know this is for the [H] folks, but.....

If it's over 30 degrees, it wouldn't be smart to take an FJ Cruiser up it unless it's your toy vehicle.

So, if it were me, I'd just want to know the angle. If it's 30 degrees or less, and if the vehicle would have good traction all the way up the hill (i.e. no danger of slipping and getting sideways), then the :stock: FJ Cruiser can handle it with absolutely no fear of any kind of problem, as long as you take it nice and easy.

If I were there, I'd help you out and pose Sandi on that thing (if it meets the above disclaimer), but sorry.....not getting that far this time.......or maybe we are.....don't think so though.....but if we do, I'll do it.

Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting to the top is not the issue, i think the FJ will handle it no problem, but coming down is steeper. Not sure about angle.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Getting to the top is not the issue, i think the FJ will handle it no problem, but coming down is steeper. Not sure about angle.
Sorry....I don't mean to hijack, but how can it be steeper on the way down than on the way up?

Isn't the angle the same in both directions? :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Sorry....I don't mean to hijack, but how can it be steeper on the way down than on the way up?

Isn't the angle the same in both directions? :confused:
go down the other side?

·
Registered
324 Posts
where exactly IS this giant hill??

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
go down the other side?
Precisely. The down side is steeper. I will grab pics next time I'm there
aha....i was only envisioning it having one access ramp type of thing.....not something with more than one route up/down it. :thinkerg:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
If it's over 30 degrees, it wouldn't be smart to take an FJ Cruiser up it unless it's your toy vehicle.

So, if it were me, I'd just want to know the angle. If it's 30 degrees or less, and if the vehicle would have good traction all the way up the hill (i.e. no danger of slipping and getting sideways), then the :stock: FJ Cruiser can handle it with absolutely no fear of any kind of problem, as long as you take it nice and easy.

IMO, and this is just my opinion, the angle of the incline, is not the sole thing that determines whether or not i would attempt a hill climb.

There are so many variables that can be applied that would determine whether or not a FJ could make it over a certain hill, to single out just one doesn't make sense to me.

List of possible variables:
Driver
vehicle (well, FJ in this case)
tires
terrain
lift/approach angle/clearance
speed
etc.

I could easily find a less than 30 degree incline that many vehicles could not get up, and a greater than 30 degree one that stock vehicles with noob drivers could drive up.

Once again, my opinion.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
My interested has peaked! I'm off all this week.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
My interested has peaked! I'm off all this week.
OHHH post pics! I'm stuck down under with my FJ being 14 time zones away otherwise I would at least drive up to it and make some poser shots :lol:

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
Yea, if you turn north off of FM 1093 Westbound near County Line Bar & Grill you end up crossing onto U.S. Property. It's a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wetland area if I'm not mistaken...

Edit: I'm not...
http://www.co.harris.tx.us/Pct3/parks/georgebush.aspx
ATTENTION: All picnic pavilions in George Bush Park are subject to flooding at any time. Please be aware that this park is part of a federally owned reservoir and it is the priority of the Army Corps of Engineers to impound water when necessary.

Patrolled by Harris County Constable Pct 5
...and...

Addicks & Barker Reservoirs
Public Reminders
Addicks and Barker Reservoirs are governed by federal law (Title 36, CHAPTER III, PART 327). These are rules and regulations that govern public use of water resource development projects administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Chief of Engineers. The following rules cited below are partial, but specifically apply to users of this project (Addicks and Barker Reservoirs). A brochure containing the complete list of rules and regulations may be obtained from the Addicks Project Office (281-497-0740).

327.2 The operation of any vehicle off established roadways is prohibited.
327.8 Hunting is prohibited.
327.13 Possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, and explosives of any kind is prohibited.
327.9 Disposal (garbage, trash, rubbish, litter or waste material) is prohibited.
327.14 Destruction, injury, defacement, or removal of public property, including natural features, historical, and archeological features, and vegetation is prohibited.
327.7 Camping is prohibited.
327.10 Fires are permitted, only if they are situated in developed campsite or picnic site areas and must be confined to grills and fireplaces.

A complete list of rules is available at the Addicks Field Office, 281-497-0740

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This spot isn't near the Shooting Center. It is off 1093 and there is a little bar and grill there, however, i have never seen any signs stating to stay out or that it is federal property. That is good to know, though, I guess you have seen the hill I'm referring to. I am disappointed to learn that those areas are off limits, I figured they were outside of GB park. D****t I'm moving to Colorado! Can you believe there isn't one single trail park in Harris County.

NOBODY is allowed to have fun in Houston unless you do it in a mall, restaurant, bar or some other public place where you can look forward to getting shot, stabbed and pillaged trying to get back to your vehicle! AWESOME!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts