Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys been thinking about this......has anyone used Line X on the underbelly of the FJ to prevent rusting issues? would you guys recommend this? is there something I can do on my own.....a spray from pep boys or wally world? any help appreciated

post pics if you have done this

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
This has been discussed before. The general consensus is that the factory rust proofing is more than adequate, and that the Line-X would add considerable weight, and be a general PITA to apply w/o getting it all over the place.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Uhhh... The factory rust proofing is NOT sufficient if you live anywhere where they use road salt in the winter or I guess if you live in a coastal region. One Michigan/Ohio winter and I have rust all over the frame.

I don't see how it will add a ton of weight considering the girl who line-x'ed her entire truck only added 40lbs. I do agree that spraying it will be a pain in the ass. One problem that TiTank mentioned to me when I talked to him about the same thing is that if you get moisture trapped under the line-x it will rust and you won't know it is rusting. You think you're all good, but what you can't see is killing your rig. IMO better just to let it be and spot treat with a rust converter, or something like POR-15. I just got some rust converter at atuozone and that stuff does what it says. Slap it on the rust and it dries into a hard, sandable, paintable surface.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has been discussed before. The general consensus is that the factory rust proofing is more than adequate, and that the Line-X would add considerable weight, and be a general PITA to apply w/o getting it all over the place.

yea right LOL my rig has about 20k on it now and everytime I am under it I see something rusty

Toledo FJ how about just spraying the areas with some black flat rustoleum.....the rust I am finding is not deep or pitting, more surface rust but want it to get treated before its to late.....I am thinking of just hitting it with the rustoleum......is the stuff you use spray paint?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Don't Line X it. It's not heat resistant....anything near the exhaust would be a gooey mess or fire hazard.....and talk about a royal PITA to work on things.....get that coating over bolts/nuts/components and then need to remove anything for any reason???? Forget it.

If you've got a rust problem, get it down to bare metal, get a good etching primer and repaint it. If you live in a high salt area, it's just part of the price you pay for living there.

LineX, Rhino, or whatever is a good sealant....but not for the bottom of a vehicle unless you remove all the components and coat everything that won't be near a heat source....lots of work, not sure it's worth the gain.

Sean

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have multiple rust spots on the undercarriage as well, what process do you guys recommend to take care of these spots? just wash and blast with rustoleum?

·
Registered
283 Posts
should i be sanding all of these spots prior? or just spraying over the light rust with the rustoleum?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like I said mine is just light surface rust(no pitting or anything) so basically I have just sprayed right over it with the rustoleum......hope that is good enough, I am sure the experts will chime in soon :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Probably something like POR-15 is the best thing to do, if you want to address the problem. You'll never be able to clean it well enough for paint, etc to work for very long. Over the years I've developed my own method of dealing with such things. If attrition or theft doesn't replace it, I trade them off for a new one before it gets bad. Might not work for everyone, but it works for me.. Ron

should i be sanding all of these spots prior? or just spraying over the light rust with the rustoleum?

·
Registered
283 Posts
it may sound like i'm being over cautious, but I'd like to keep this truck around until it runs into the ground. looking forward to some feedback!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Use ZIEBART. I know everyone on this forum is a "do it yourself" type of guy, otherwise you wouldn't own an off-road rig, myself included.

However IMO it is worth it to take it to ZIEBART's and have it professionally done for about $500-600. It is not a thick plastic type coating where it will rust underneath. It is a chemical compound that treats the metal and looks like black paint on the underbody, also they fill in portions of the body in order to deaden sound and rust proof.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The problem with POR-15, LineX, Rhino, etc is that the stuff is toxic when you have to grind it off to get down to bare metal. If you NEVER plan to do any welding to your frame, it may be a non-issue, but any 4x4 I've ever owned has had that distinct possibility somewhere down the line.

Washing on a regular basis is the best preventative measure you can take, but rust will probably still appear. While I personally paint over surface rust and don't worry about it (as I'm sure I'll be repainting in 6 mos. or less anyway)....technically, you're supposed to go to bare metal, etch prime, and then use a high quality paint and sealer.

No one I know goes through all that hassel....but it's the "correct" way to do it.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That's true.. I'm afraid it's (rust) just something that's gonna happen. Those folks in the rust belt do have a rough time with it. Much more so that some of us. Ron

The problem with POR-15, LineX, Rhino, etc is that the stuff is toxic when you have to grind it off to get down to bare metal. If you NEVER plan to do any welding to your frame, it may be a non-issue, but any 4x4 I've ever owned has had that distinct possibility somewhere down the line.

Washing on a regular basis is the best preventative measure you can take, but rust will probably still appear. While I personally paint over surface rust and don't worry about it (as I'm sure I'll be repainting in 6 mos. or less anyway)....technically, you're supposed to go to bare metal, etch prime, and then use a high quality paint and sealer.

No one I know goes through all that hassel....but it's the "correct" way to do it.

HTH,
Sean

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I did my skids with it and they hold up great except for big rocks that tear it open. on the good side it only takes a paintbrush to fix it. on the down side It hangs up easily and harder to tow off rocks. Basically turns your skids into Stucks. as for the undercoating, just get a can of the spray rubber and hit all the places the factory missed or your wheels rubbed off, just use a cardboard as a sheild for the hot areas, specially above the muffler and rear pipes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Another possible option is Waxoyl. Many Land Rover owners use it to prevent rusting in the under belly of their rigs
Here is a link to the application.
http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

There are a couple of different options of grade in Waxoyl
You can buy this stuff from Rovers North by the spray can
and I think gallon jugs.

I personally haven't used the product but I saved the link for a possible future thing to do. :)

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Uhhh... The factory rust proofing is NOT sufficient if you live anywhere where they use road salt in the winter or I guess if you live in a coastal region. One Michigan/Ohio winter and I have rust all over the frame.

well, if you live in an area where they salt the roads a lot, you're screwed no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Try POR 15 on some test pieces. It comes in small cans. It looks like any other paint. You brush it on and it sticks. Be careful not to get in on you driveway or garage floor becuase you'll never get it off. They also sell a compatible solvent to thin it or help with cleanup. Wear rubber gloves to keep it off your hands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts