Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:rocker: I have my roof rack full when I take off camping. Don't want the cans inside the FJ. Anyone know of connectors off the roof rack or other means for securing these cans to the outside of the FJ?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I only carry one extra can of fuel when I'm off in the boonies. It's a Blitz can that I carry on the spare tire mount like this:

I did this using the Man-a-Fre hi-lift jack mount (final plate removed) with the standard Blitz can mount bolted on. It is pad-lockable as well. The blue tie-down strap is just for peace of mind.

There is a purpose built mount that would replace the Man-A-Fre hi-lift mount I used, but since I already had the jack mount I just made it work. Here is the item I refer to, there is still some fabrication involved, but it will save you a few dollars: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/55908-jerry-can-holder-spare-tire.html

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
[/url][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
Unfortunately I do have to remove it......its two pieces....the platform comes off. I didn't want to Weld or Drill holes on the spare tire rack. It can be a pain, might come up with a differ design before I head off to Summit.

I like it except for opening the back door. Do you have to completely remove it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
im in the process of making one im adding another reciever hitch(1-1/4") to the left side rear and adding a swingout so i can open the hatch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your responses. I don't want to use the hitch because I have a bike on it when I travel. Can't use an ARB can carrier across the spare tire because you have to install their back bumper... Don't want the cans on top because have a roof tent and foxwing awning. Have decided to have an alluminum "L" fabricated about 40 inches long w/ sides of the L about 8 inches wide (for can width) and have half inch slits cut for top and front straps, laying the cans on their sides. The L will be bolted to the back end of the FJ Cruiser's factory roof rack. There is plenty of room there not to interfer with anything.

Regards to all,
Marshall

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
LOD makes a rear bumper with the mounts..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Toyota was showing a modded 2010 FJ at the Abu Dhabi Motor Show last December called the Desert Raider. It had an interesting solution for carrying two Jerry cans.

There was a kind inverted double "J" shaped mount hangin off the roof rack on both sides of the car between the two side windows that don't open and the jerry cans were in holders attached to this bracked just hanging off the sides of the car.

There was around an inch of space between the body and the base of the Jerry can holders with a thick piece of foam or someting similar preventing it from touching the body.

I will try to locate and upload pictures

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, saw those pics somewhere. Looked really cool, and an interesting way of carrying gas and water....but man...I don't know. Would HAVE to think I'd rip that thing off on some of the forest trails up here in Portland, and bounce and bang the bajeepers, possibly breaking those windows, on the mountain trails in New mexico. Would love a solution like the LOD, but have it mount behind the spare tire....have the rack on top of the tire, and carry cans on the side. Just don't have the $$$ for a rear bumper and storage solution like that, but it looks the best, and seems to function the best as well.

Toyota was showing a modded 2010 FJ at the Abu Dhabi Motor Show last December called the Desert Raider. It had an interesting solution for carrying two Jerry cans.

There was a kind inverted double "J" shaped mount hangin off the roof rack on both sides of the car between the two side windows that don't open and the jerry cans were in holders attached to this bracked just hanging off the sides of the car.

There was around an inch of space between the body and the base of the Jerry can holders with a thick piece of foam or someting similar preventing it from touching the body.

·
Registered
875 Posts

This one?

from this thread
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...pan-different-more-options-3.html#post1843748

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes ...the thing looks good but come close and you see its all just for show.

The Jerry Can solution is unique though and is a good idea

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my recent trip to Az mountains, I was on loads of road that scratched both sides of the truck at the same time, even at the roof line. Mounting the cans like that would not have been pretty.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like the ides of racks like that. I don't see where they stick outany further than the mirrors. Although I must admit I have scratched my rig up right whre they are located. Maybe if those racks had been hanging there I would have been more careful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts