Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way they look ,im just wondering if they feel safe on the hyway
I might go off road 2 times a year,I realy want them for there looks. I have the stock tires on it now and they feel slightly sloppy are swampers much worse?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've never owned them BUT I hear they SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK in the snow!!!
Beware. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this. Good Luck.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I might go off road 2 times a year,I realy want them for there looks. I have the stock tires on it now and they feel slightly sloppy are swampers much worse?
One of the forum members that I have met a few times wheelin' (GopherNutz) has a set of TSL's on steelies that he puts on just to wheel. When I rode with him for a while we were talking about them and he said after about an hour and a half, your ass is just warn out from the vibrations. We were driving on a small part of pavement at about 30 mph and thats what sparked the conversation - they are loud as hell and vibrate.

I personally love the way they look too, maybe look at getting a set of TrXus tires (Interco) to get the look but a decent on road tire.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
One of the forum members that I have met a few times wheelin' (GopherNutz) has a set of TSL's on steelies that he puts on just to wheel. When I rode with him for a while we were talking about them and he said after about an hour and a half, your ass is just warn out from the vibrations. We were driving on a small part of pavement at about 30 mph and thats what sparked the conversation - they are loud as hell and vibrate.

I personally love the way they look too, maybe look at getting a set of TrXus tires (Interco) to get the look but a decent on road tire.

Hope this helps
A couple of things to remember is both Super Swampers and Trxus are a bear to keep balanced. If they sit they get flat spots and vibrate the heck out of you. They are expensive and have very soft rubber.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First off, I'm new here but not to off roading, I used to be a Jeep guy, and had used Swampers all the time. They are the best tire bar none off road, but on the street, a pain in the butt... Hard to balance, and everytime you come to a stop you feel every lug on the tire. I had used SSR's and like I said offroad awesome!!

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I have over 17k on my SS TrXus MT's (255/85/16) which are used as full time on my FJ.

Balancing - yes, they can be hard to balance, particularly the bias tires. Simple solution = dynabeads = no problem. I have 8 oz in each wheel with no weights on them.

Expensive - I wouldn't say so. I paid under $150 each and seen them cheaper on-line but would have to pay for shipping. BFG MT's are much more expensive in the same size.

A lot depends on which tire you select. Personally, I wouldn't run LTB's as a daily driver, they are bias ply tires and wouldn't be comfortable on the road. I like the TrXus MT's, they work well off-road and are fine on-road. I drove them to Moab and Ouray this past summer w/o issue and plan on doing the same this summer.

Buying them to use a couple times a year, I wouldn't do it. You won't get the mileage you should out of another type/brand of tire and that would be a waste of rubber/money. Why compromise the greatest portion of your driving time just for looks and a couple of excursions a year off-road? You would be much better served with a good AT tire which works well on-road and performs adequately off-road when you want to go there.

But, that is just my opinion, its your money and comfort...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
You would seem better off just just get an aggressive set of mud tires such as the bfg km2's or mickey thompson crawlers

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Swampers....

-Great off-road (echo...echo!)

-you don't buy them for looks, sorry, you buy them for the above purpose or for noise.

On my old jeep CJ7 I had some swampers....put it this way...ear plugs really come in handy. It's the noise, the vibration, and being loose on the highway that will get to you. The noise is akin to a prop plane at takeoff.

So for the OP...if you are seldom going off-road, swampers probably aren't the deal for you. Just get a mud-tire, like some BFG's (KM2) or something.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
2 twice a year for offroading? Don't get these. I have the LTBs but they are on a second set of rims. I swap them in when I'm going offroading. I've been running them for the last 3 weeks just to get a feel for it. They are loud and hard to balance, but they are absolutely awesome off road though. Big grippy lugs are great for offraoding, but terrible on the streets. It's loud and you will feel the lugs as they turn... I'm still having fun with them. I think I can bear to drive them for 5-6 hours without too much issue. I'm getting a little more use to it.

Stock vs. LTBs.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
sloppy? if you are mainly for on road, the intercos will be worse than your stocks. for looks, i would go with an aggressive AT or a toyo MT. what size are you looking for?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have the bias TSL's on my Jeep. Terrible on any road. Scary on the highway. I know a few running the radial's and they are better on road but not close to being considered good. They all get taken off for winter road driving. I keep them on my Jeep year round but for a 38" tire to get any traction in snow covered anything, they have to be aired down to about 8 to 12 lbs and still arent really "grippy". My Mickey Thompson MTZ's do quite well on the snow.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I also have 2 sets of tires, LTBs for offroading, they are loud, they wear quickly on pavement, they are awesome offroad. Poor traction on a wet road, I'd never use them on ice and snow. The buzzing isn't that bad, noticable but not unbearable. You'll never want to go more than 70mph with these.

Definately an awesome 2nd set of tires for offrading

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If you want an aggressive look without sacrificing all that is good about a street tire. You might want to look at the Hankook Rt03 MT. I have had mine for 1.5 years and over 20k miles. They still have lots of life left and they are still very quiet for a MT.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
A couple of things to remember is both Super Swampers and Trxus are a bear to keep balanced. If they sit they get flat spots and vibrate the heck out of you. They are expensive and have very soft rubber.
You are correct! I have Swamper LTB's and they are noisy and they do get flat spots after sitting and take a few miles to warm up. The other thing is, if you use them everyday, expect to replace them every year and a half or 24,000 miles. With that said, I do like the look and the rough ride but I haven't trailed much since I left CA. We use to go to Hollister hills quite a bit and the tire seemed to work well on the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My SSR 285/75 R-16s balanced well and are smooth on the road. Wet weather is okay, not great and they are awesome off road. These are 33.9" radials and while they are a bit noisy, at 40 PSI (lugs just barely off the ground) they are smooth with little to no vibration.

I had LTBs, but being a bias ply, they would not balance out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts