Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ideas to help me cope with gas price increases.

1. Trim your cable cost save $15.00
2, Reduce wireless minutes save $10.00
3. Take the bus once a week save $6.00
4. Stop drinking Red Bull(would go through a case a month) save $35.00
5. Reduce internet speed one notch save $15.00

These are just my way of coping. Total I've save $81.00 a month, which goes towards my fuel expenditures.

What are your ideas???

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I have been working to take on more work (make more $$) to compensate. It's the other side of the equation from cutting back but you definitely have to do something.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been working to take on more work (make more $$) to compensate. It's the other side of the equation from cutting back but you definitely have to do something.
I forgot about work. I do around 5-10 hours of ot a week which also helps. IMO their is always something to do in order to cope.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got a second job workin 15-20 hours a week to make extra cash... this pays for mods and gas... also the extra goes to my Harley fund... and to save a lil extra on top of that Ive stopped eatting...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I eat out less which saves at least $5o bucks a week with a family of 4.

I also plan my trips to town so I can make them count and drive less.

I have gotten anal about cutting off lights and other electronic devices at the house, dropped the electrical bill 30$!!

Shop around for auto insurance, threatened to leave and got a bit of a bidding war going saving me 200 buck for 6 months.

Now if I was smart enought to do this stuff last year 'd have more dough for mods.:simmadown:

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I eat out less which saves at least $5o bucks a week with a family of 4.

I also plan my trips to town so I can make them count and drive less.

I have gotten anal about cutting off lights and other electronic devices at the house, dropped the electrical bill 30$!!

Shop around for auto insurance, threatened to leave and got a bit of a bidding war going saving me 200 buck for 6 months.

Now if I was smart enought to do this stuff last year 'd have more dough for mods.:simmadown:

Yep eating out less makes a big diffrence. I brown bag my lunch everyday, saves me $8 a day easily. Thats how I got enough money to buy my first mod TRD CAI:rocker:, now I gotta save for my suspension, where did I leave those coupons.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought 3 vending machines that cost me $1500 and they are bringing in $800 a month after expenses,that is more than enough to make my payment and the cost of gas... Everytime I want something I just buy a small business,or create some type of passive income..its to easy to make money that way. Other than sacraficing your time by getting second jobs or cutting out something that you enjoy. Make your money work for you!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Didn't think about that but I have slowed down a bit myself running 55-60 instead of 60-65. and on the highway running the speed limit instead of trying to pass everyone. pushing the box a little slower makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Actually nothing except trying to keep my lead foot off the skinny pedal; and that's not really working either.. LOL.. I/we already don't eat out and/or do anything much extra. Direct driving cost (FJ) is the least of my problems really; everything else going up 20% costs me a lot more. You name it, utilities, food, everything.. Ron

My ideas to help me cope with gas price increases.

1. Trim your cable cost save $15.00
2, Reduce wireless minutes save $10.00
3. Take the bus once a week save $6.00
4. Stop drinking Red Bull(would go through a case a month) save $35.00
5. Reduce internet speed one notch save $15.00

These are just my way of coping. Total I've save $81.00 a month, which goes towards my fuel expenditures.

What are your ideas???

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought 3 vending machines that cost me $1500 and they are bringing in $800 a month after expenses,that is more than enough to make my payment and the cost of gas... Everytime I want something I just buy a small business,or create some type of passive income..its to easy to make money that way. Other than sacraficing your time by getting second jobs or cutting out something that you enjoy. Make your money work for you!!

what kind of machines sounds, good to me:clap:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Some resourceful ideas mentioned above.

My thoughts:
1) Most folks drive way more than they need to. Combine trips. Don't drive without a reason. Cut back in general.
2) Get off your butt and work a little more or do an odd job or something for a few bucks. For example, I sometimes help a neighbor bale hay. Some lazy people look at me and think, "You have a college education. Why are you working like that ?" I'll do it because it's good exercise, the neighbor needs help because kids are so damned lazy these days, and the pay will fill the gas tank.
3) Look at all your monthly expenses and credit card expenses and determine if you can cut back or eliminate in some areas.
4) Sell unnecessary "stuff" that it cluttering your home/garage and life in general. For example, my '66 Chrysler and Polaris quad which I hope to sell soon. When they are gone so are the associated insurance and maintenance costs.
5) Car-pool, take the bus, train etc. to work. Common sense.
6) If you are self-employed as I am, increase your hourly rate and/or become more efficient/more productive at what you do. For every $1 my hourly rate goes up, my income goes up about $2K. Be aware that you may be considered less competitive unless your productivity increases more quickly than your hourly rate.

I don't like the high cost of gas, but I don't drive that much (maybe 12K per year on average). Unlike most people I was cutting back when gas went over $2/gal. $5 gas won't bother me that much but I hope it makes wasteful people change their ways.

It is also my observation that if so many people hadn't stretched their finances to move into McMansions in the last several years, a few extra bucks for gas or their FJ would be no big deal. A small to medium sized home that is efficient and well-organized will be much less taxing on the pocketbook and your stress level. :) See: Sarah Susanka

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I just stop driving. I'll begin walking to work for now on in a week or two.

Basically, i can't afford the FJ and gas and mods. So, that means cut back on the GAS. I'll still mod it, but it'll be parked in the driveway.. :lol:

Really though, I've cut back on driving A LOT! And when i do drive, i do not go above 2k RPM, and on the highway, i do not break 60 mph anymore. I just kick back behind semi's.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This past week I had to have a leaky windshield replaced. My dealer put in a Camary 4 cyl model. What a great car, mileage over 30MPG so I saved some bucks this week driving that. I got the FJ back now but I wish I could have the Camary as a commuter car and save the FJ for the weekends.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
My wife and I own a 2+ acre lot and offered my parents a place to build a carriage home, so they can sell there place in CA. We will share phone, cable, electric and cable fees and property taxes. so that should save both sides(since split in two) about 3k$ yearly ...
We are breaking ground in about 2 weeks.... and if they get enough for their home in CA, then they might even pay off our mortgage and we pay them back interest free.

Within a year or so, I will install geothermal heating and cooling and most likely also solar. .. get the house as much off the grid as I can.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We are breaking ground in about 2 weeks.... and if they get enough for their home in CA, then they might even pay off our mortgage and we pay them back interest free.

Thats nice to be able to split the cost.

Tough to sell in cali. right now unless you price it at the bottom4% of whats selling.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts