Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '07 FJ 4x4 has developed a bad brake squeal when backing out our garage and driveway especially first thing in the morning. We had the rears replaced 6 months ago, I asked my mechanic to use OEM pads, and he did turn the rotors I THINK.

It really annoying, to the point I've been asked not to pull out in the early a.m. while everyone is still asleep.

I tried some spray on the disks squeal stopper, I think it is made by Locktite, it only works temporarily. All the other squeal prevention cans at the auto parts store are for application between new pads and the caliper parts.

What should I do? Invest in a new brake job? Give my mechanic some of the squeal stopper that goes on the backside of the pads?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Your brake squeal could be an indication of a problem with the braking system(stuck caliper piston,stuck pads, front brake problem,even emergency brake issue). You should let a mechanic do a complete system inspection and at that point decide the route you need to take to correct it.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Did you "burnish" the brakes after install?

Find out exactly what pads were used. I have 90K on my FJ, have changed the pads with OE from the dealer. Have not had any squealing issues.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
This could be as simple as excessive brake dust build up, do you wash your FJ on a regular basis or just drive it? You should be washing it and directing a strong spray of water into the wheel and brake area each washing. If that is not the problem I would jack up the FJ enough to get the wheels off the ground then hand spin each wheel, this will let you hear which wheel/wheels is responsible for making the noise it, will also let you feel if one wheel is noticeably harder to spin then others. Squealing brakes are not a common complaint where stock pads are used and yours sound excessive. Do you off road this vehicle?? If yes you can look for things like bent back plates, damage to the E-brake, rocks Jamed in the disc and back plate area. Beyond these checks you will need to have the brakes checked by a proffesional.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did your mechanic install the anti-squeal shims on the pads?

ETA: what kind of shape are your front brake pads? If the pads are down to the wear indicators they will squeal. Both the front and rear pads have anti-squeal shims.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I thought I read on here somewhere that the factory rotors and brake pads make the most hellish sound when combined with humidity. I have replaced my pads twice on the front and the rears are still good and I still get this awful sound as well. Its especially bad when I'm parked at our river camp site overnight. Just installed new front rotors, non-OEM, and pads, non-OEM this past weekend. I will let you know if it helps or not. Might be hard to tell since I'm still running OEM on the rears. So far not a squeak though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just a follow-up. I was parked at our campsite over the weekend with new rotors and pads. When I backed out in the morning not a sound from the brakes. There might be something to changing to an aftermarket brake pad or rotor to eliminate or reduce the sound.

·
Desert Moderator
7,689 Posts
I thought I read on here somewhere that the factory rotors and brake pads make the most hellish sound when combined with humidity. I have replaced my pads twice on the front and the rears are still good and I still get this awful sound as well. Its especially bad when I'm parked at our river camp site overnight. Just installed new front rotors, non-OEM, and pads, non-OEM this past weekend. I will let you know if it helps or not. Might be hard to tell since I'm still running OEM on the rears. So far not a squeak though.
Nope. My brakes are completely stock & it's very humid here in summer - no noise at all from them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The issue I am referring to may only be early model years. OP mentioned they had an 07 which is why I thought it might be the same issue that has popped up from time to time on the forum.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The OP states his FJ has "developed" a squeak which I enturpret as this is something new... Mine is an 08 and no squeak at any time of year, the only time I will get a squeak from any disk brake is uncleaned dust build up. Washing the wheels and brake area is easy and almost free to do, maybe the OP will report back at sometime with an update.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Did he use metallic pads ? I switched to metallic and my trucks squeals at first start in the morning because of the humidity, water, but stops after that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My mechanic recommended that I replace my front pads 6 months after my annual inspection, which was this past April. They developed a squeal that was caused by the wear indicator so I knew it was time to replace them, so I did, back in April. I picked up the most expensive set at Advance Auto. The brakes now have a slightly different squeal. At first I thought it was the rear pads going, but last night after ripping the wheels off of the rear I saw the pads were OK. I still pulled the caliper to check the pads and see how much pad I had until the wear indicator would start to contact, I have plenty of pad left. So this means something is wrong with the new pads I installed on the front. I pulled the front wheels and the calipers, I thought maybe I bent the wear indicator during install and it was prematurely touching the rotor - nope. I read online that ceramic brakes tend to squeal when cool, then it goes away when they are warm. Mine squeal every time I brake and it's driving me nuts! I installed the shims, new springs with the new pads, followed thr forum directions on here just in case there was something different with the FJ, I have done plenty of brake jobs before. The driver side caliper was also seized so I installed a new caliper there and bled the brakes. FJ stops fine. That squeal though, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS! Any other thoughts would be appreciated.... My next step is to exchange the pads, but I'll just be getting the same kind...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I always put a thin coat of bearing grease between the shims and on the back of the pads. I have been doing this for 25 years and never a sound :)

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
First, the OEM pads are very resistant to squealing. They may be softer and wear faster than aftermarket semi-ceramic pads, but they don't squeal. If you install non-OEM pads, you need to accept whatever consequences may result: squealing, increased rate of disk wear, etc.

To ensure freedom from squealing, your mechanic MUST faithfully follow the Toyota assembly procedure. If this is an independent mechanic, make sure he is familiar with the requirements contained in the FSM.

1. For the fronts, the anti-squeal shims must be installed in the correct position: 2 shims per pad, with the slotted shim directly against the pad backing plate, the solid shims against the caliper pistons. On an older FJ, it's not impossible that somewhere along the way the shims were omitted or lost, and unless your mechanic knows they are supposed to be present, he might not have purchased a replacement shim kit.

2. Both sides of the slotted shims are to be lightly lubricated with high temperature disk-brake grease before installation. DO NOT USE ANY CONVENTIONAL LOW MELTING POINT PETROLEUM BASE GREASE.

(I deviate slightly here from Toyota's recommendations, using CRC "Disk Brake Anti-Squeal" compound instead of the disk brake grease. The CRC material is a paste that rapidly cures into a rubbery material similar to RTV silicone rubber. The high-temp disk brake grease or the CRC material tend to "damp" high frequency pad vibration that contributes to squeal.)

3. The rear brakes only have one anti-squeal shim per pad, and the shim is installed "dry".

4. The rear brakes have a separate little wear-indicator "squealer" that must be installed correctly. If the noise sees to be coming from the rear brakes, make sure that the "squealer" is positioned properly and is not prematurely contacting the disk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for all of the info guys! I am scrapping the crap pads I bought at the local parts store and will pick up some new pads from the Yota dealer. I appreciate all of the replies even though I am not the OP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts