Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tiny screws they provide are barely enough to screw into a cardboard box let alone frame components. I don't trust the double-sided tape, does it hold? And although they look sweet, the custom metal mounts that someone manufactured and is selling on the board here is too rich for my tastes.

How did you mount your lights under your FJ?

stumped.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said I like those but at half the cost of the lights, too rich for my tastes. Looking for less costly alternatives. Does anyone have any long-term experience with the 3M tape it comes with holding/not holding?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As I said I like those but at half the cost of the lights, too rich for my tastes. Looking for less costly alternatives. Does anyone have any long-term experience with the 3M tape it comes with holding/not holding?
Judging by everything you have done to your FJ I'm a bit astonished that $50 is too rich for your tastes. Especially for a good solid solution to your dilemma.
No offense.

Let us know how well that 3M tape holds.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh no offense taken my friend. :)

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The tiny screws they provide are barely enough to screw into a cardboard box let alone frame components. I don't trust the double-sided tape, does it hold? And although they look sweet, the custom metal mounts that someone manufactured and is selling on the board here is too rich for my tastes.

How did you mount your lights under your FJ?

stumped.
Go to this post to see how I mount them on my FJ;

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-visionx-tantrum-rock-lights.html#post1126639

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mine were mounted simply with 3M emblem tape. No special protection or brackets. Lines were just zipped. So far, only 1 had fallen off the tape. I've had them over 2 years.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I considered this issue when I put
on (sorry, no photos showing exactly where or how they're mounted).

I was just going to use the double-sided tape disks that came with them, but my friend that was helping me do the install said I should use something else. So, I put them on with some silicone or something that he had sitting around I think.

It will be three years next month, and none of them have ever even hinted at coming off.

The only problem I've had is with water getting in and ruining a few of them (which I had to order replacements for).

I strongly recommend sealing them really well with clear silicone; especially at the place where the wire enters the light housing.

Good luck, and let us know how you ended up doing it once you've got em on your rig. :bigthumb:

p.s. If the Ricochet brackets ad been available when I originally got my Tantrums, I would have bought them, but what I have going on is just fine.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I bought the mounts 50.00 wasnt bad considering i was able to bolt them into existing holes in frame and the and rock rails. In the time it would take to find a different solution it would have takein way more than 50.00 of my time. I have seen a post where I guy used heavy magnets .
I put these mounts on in 5 minutes

Just my 2 cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts