Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike my other vehicles, FJs apparently require a trip to the dealer to reprogram the computer to recognize new wheels (and new TPMS sensors) are mounted.

That means the usual practice of having dedicated snow tires on dedicated wheels requires a $80+ trip to the dealer service department to shut off the TPMS light on each wheel swap.

So, do those of you running dedicated (for example, studded) snows have your snow and A/T tires actually swapped on the same set of wheels each season, or is there no choice but to pay for an hour of dealer tech time to have the TPMS system reset each time?

(I wish it were the same situation as it is on some cars where at least you could do some magic turn off and on while the odometer reset button is held thing to get the computer to relearn which TPMS sensors are in use kind of thing, or like my car, where you can do it directly via the trip computer and it learns one set for summer and one for winter…)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a set of studded tires on the original wheels that came with my FJ. Haven't ever put them on though. According to the previous owner the indicator would go out after putting them on. With the current wheels and tires the TPMS system light stays on.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I must be blind Ive never seen the tpms light on and have after market wheels without tpms sensors. In the sequoia it was on all the time I just got use to it.

How to create a few million jobs??
Bring back full service gas stations.
Saves energy because tires, oil ETC are checked. "WOW" . lol I sound like a center of the road guy
________
ExotycCharm live

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can buy a whole lot of black electrical tape for $80. A 1" piece placed over the light and your visual problems are solved.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it seems the most popular thing to do is ignore the TPMS light; does it go back off when you swap your summer wheels back?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I planned a little farther ahead and bought an 07 so I didn't have to deal with it. I'm not sure how Toyota's TPMS system works, but can you just take them out and keep them somewhere in the vehicle? I don't know if they tell you actual pressure, or just alert you when they're missing or pressure has dropped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just picked up our '11 FJC,

where can I find black steel rims for snows? Not sure if anything changed from earlier models, wheel wise that is.

All I can fiind at TireRack is alloy wheels. Not the end of the world, but would be nice to just get a cheap set of wheels for the winter

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts