Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem: i want to lower the volume of the voice guidance for my bluetooth system, but the volume buttons on the steering wheel don't affect it, and the manual says that to change it, i take the following path through the system's menus:

Setup -> System Setup -> Guidance Volume

which i would be more than happy to do if there was a System Setup menu, but there is not. when i say "Setup" (or go to Setup using the controls on the stereo), the options i am given are "Security", "Phone Setup", and "Bluetooth Audio Setup", none of which offer me any options to control the volume of the voice guidance.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

walt

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
What GPS system are you using? Is it phone based, HU or standalone?

On my kenwood HU I found that during voice guidance playing I can use the steering wheel or deck volume and it will adjust it, if its not activly talking than it only adjusts music volume instead.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh - does "voice guidance" refer only to GPS? my question has nothing to do with GPS - i use a standalone GPS unit that i don't think can be connected to my truck's audio system in any way. i thought "voice guidance" referred to the woman who guides me through the menu options when i press the talk switch on the steering wheel. she's loud!

the section of the manual that talks about all this doesn't say anything about GPS either; it's only talking about the truck's built-in bluetooth audio system.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a similar problem. When listening to music through the bluetooth, if my phone rings it is really loud and scares the crap out of me. If I turn the volume down on my phone, I have to turn the volume up on the radio and get the same effect if the phone rings. How does one lower the volume of the phone ringer through bluetooth?
Bonehead

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a similar problem. When listening to music through the bluetooth, if my phone rings it is really loud and scares the crap out of me. If I turn the volume down on my phone, I have to turn the volume up on the radio and get the same effect if the phone rings. How does one lower the volume of the phone ringer through bluetooth?
Bonehead
this is a total guess, but would reducing the volume of the ringer at the phone work?

·
Registered
280 Posts
i'm having the same problem. the "voice guidance" is really loud, and calls are insanely loud. i avoid using the thing because it makes me feel like my ear drums are bleeding. i have no idea how to turn it down though. i've tried volume controls in the car and on the phone. i've got an htc incredible. i'm not sure if the in-call volume is head unit or phone related. sorry i can't help, but i feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Are we talking bluetooth (2011 factory install type) or Blu Logic?

There is certainly a big difference! Blu Logic would be installed in one of the blanks similar to the diff lock or sub switch. Bluetooth would have a talk button on the steering wheel.

If it's bluetooh I'd say you have a integration or a install issue.

If it's Blu Logic like mine it's a bit goofy. Steering wheel buttons don't do anything unfortunately. The volume is controlled on mine by smaller sub buttons on the top and bottom of the main switch you use to answer or on the phone itself.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm talking about the factory setup.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bump- has anyone figured this out? My phone rang while listening to music via bluetooth yesterday and I jumped out of my seat.
Bonehead

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is an old thread but I am posting here, because there's not a clear answer and I too had this problem.

- To access the option for system settings:
1) press the phone "off-hook" switch
2) either use your voice to request setup or use the left hand knob on the radio to scroll to "setup" option
3) Select System Setup option, then Voice Guidance.
4) use the same left hand knob to turn the volume down.

enjoy the quieter, less demanding voice and the beeping becomes tolerable.

I'm pretty tech savvy and this was a PITA to discover. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The USA manual for my 2013 shows setting the voice guidance volume in a few places. Pages 301, 312, 321, 335, and 337. You have to start the voice prompt system. Guidance volume is in the third level menu. 1."Setup" -> 2."System Setup -> 3."Guidance Volume". The "TUNE SCROLL" knob is used to make the selection, not the volume knob. It should be the same in your 2012. Read through all of the manual pages regarding bluetooth music players and cellular telephones and you will find it.

After adding the OEM Audio Plus system she was far too loud due to the extra gain from the amplifiers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My voice guidance was also deafening after adding a small alpine amp on my 13. The above directions work but to get to the voice guiqdance volume adjust, dont go through "setup" button. Initiate the process by first hitting the offhook switch, then use the tuner knob to navigate to voive guidance volume as noted above. The setup button will not get you there. I adjusted mine to 1, and no longer have a heart attck when someone calls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts