Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 44,000 miles on the Vodoo and went in to Midas for an oil change and asked that they check the differential fluid. They said it was fine but Im suspicious. I have read how to drain and fill it but where the HELL is it? I know dumb question but Im not a mechanic. I just need to know where to find the bolt, I dont want to go under their and start unscrewing things. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I have read how to drain and fill it but where the HELL is it? I know dumb question but Im not a mechanic. I just need to know where to find the bolt, I dont want to go under their and start unscrewing things. :bigthumb:
Presuming you have a 4WD there are two, one in the middle of the rear axle and one in between the front axles. The drain plugs are on the very bottom, protected by a raised circular casting on the diff housing. The fill plugs are about 2/3 of the way up on the rear of the rear diff and the front side of the front diff. Both rear diff plugs are 24mm bolts and both front plugs are 10mm hex sockets.

Page from service manual showing the rear diff w/ plugs is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 4WD. Thanks for the detailed response and the PDF. I will check tomorrow.:clap:

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
the front end openings are on the driverside just behind where the axle goes into the diff, they are shiny if you wipe them, and use a hex to remove the top would be the check the bottom just below would be the drain

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Checking it means that they can see it is full. At 44k you should go ahead and change the fluids yourself. Its an easy job and you might be surprised at what you find in the rear diff. The bottom plug is magnetic and at 15k mine already had a small amount of grey magnetic sludge stuck to it with fine metal fileings.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i hope the rear diffs been changes at least once in 44k, i think thats a long time to have the stock oil in the rear diff. Considering mine was nasty at 2k

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just changed my rear diff out yesterday at 20k. Lot of sludge and some shavings on the magnetic drain plug. The oil was quite silvery as well. Replaced with Royal Purple, and maybe its just all in my head, but I feel a difference.

Any reason why the oil smelled awful? Almost burnt?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Any reason why the oil smelled awful? Almost burnt?
The rear axle oil in my FJ was like that, but at 1,600 km. Could be excess heat in the rear axle, a finishing compound left behind on the R&P, poor quality factory oil, many other reasons. My front axle was much cleaner and my TC was clear

When I changed the gear oil again, it was much cleaner. When I checked it again, it had remained clean

·
Registered
268 Posts
Burnt? I dunno, but to me all gear oil has got to be the most disgusting nastiest smelling crap I could ever pour into a car. My rear diff oil that came out was black and smelled awful, but even the nice brand new RP going in smelled disgusting. *ack*

·
Registered
539 Posts
because the fill hole on the rear diff is quite high and kind of awkward to get at , what is the easiest way to fill it? extension tube on a funnel , or pump gun or what? - also how much oil is enough?? - thanks for any advice!!

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
because the fill hole on the rear diff is quite high and kind of awkward to get at , what is the easiest way to fill it? extension tube on a funnel , or pump gun or what?

Hand pump and flexible hose; you can buy them at any auto parts store.

also how much oil is enough?? - thanks for any advice!!
Until it runs out of the bottom of the fill hole. If your diff was bone dry (if you could drain every drop) it would take just over three quarts to fill it. Since gear oil is quite viscous, you'll never get all he old stuff out. It helps to drive the truck until fully hot before you change it.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
X2, between $5-10 and worth every penny.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hand pump and flexible hose; you can buy them at any auto parts store.

Until it runs out of the bottom of the fill hole. If your diff was bone dry (if you could drain every drop) it would take just over three quarts to fill it. Since gear oil is quite viscous, you'll never get all he old stuff out. It helps to drive the truck until fully hot before you change it.
thanks kindly for this useful information!! - much appreciated!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts