Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I have read how to drain and fill it but where the HELL is it? I know dumb question but Im not a mechanic. I just need to know where to find the bolt, I dont want to go under their and start unscrewing things. :bigthumb:
Presuming you have a 4WD there are two, one in the middle of the rear axle and one in between the front axles. The drain plugs are on the very bottom, protected by a raised circular casting on the diff housing. The fill plugs are about 2/3 of the way up on the rear of the rear diff and the front side of the front diff. Both rear diff plugs are 24mm bolts and both front plugs are 10mm hex sockets.

Page from service manual showing the rear diff w/ plugs is attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
because the fill hole on the rear diff is quite high and kind of awkward to get at , what is the easiest way to fill it? extension tube on a funnel , or pump gun or what?

Hand pump and flexible hose; you can buy them at any auto parts store.

also how much oil is enough?? - thanks for any advice!!
Until it runs out of the bottom of the fill hole. If your diff was bone dry (if you could drain every drop) it would take just over three quarts to fill it. Since gear oil is quite viscous, you'll never get all he old stuff out. It helps to drive the truck until fully hot before you change it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.