Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
AHHHH! That's what I wanted to do when I saw the same vehicle (per the driver) in Culver City. You wife must be hot or extremely prusuasive(sp?)

Thank her for sure. Good photos. The bronco side by side photos give those who have not seen it in person a great visual for size and deminsions.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Theres a man that knows his dealerships!!!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
EJR said:
Theres a man that knows his dealerships!!!!
You rule, you lucky SOB!

Now out with the rest of the information... did it handle well. Meet or exceed your expectations?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
"AFTER FURTHER REVIEW.........."

I'M IN!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ernie,

It was great meeting you last week and I am happy that I could give you a ride. After you told me about the forum here I thought I would sign up and say hello.

Jordan May
Off-Road Magazine
4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Jordansrealm said:
Ernie,

It was great meeting you last week and I am happy that I could give you a ride. After you told me about the forum here I thought I would sign up and say hello.

Jordan May
Off-Road Magazine
4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine
Welcome to the insanity. Protect yourself quickly before the rest of the information addicts have a chance to rip you to shreds seeking every last drop of your cruiser knowledge....

We're happy to have you. WHAT DO YOU KNOW!?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Percy said:
Welcome to the insanity. Protect yourself quickly before the rest of the information addicts have a chance to rip you to shreds seeking every last drop of your cruiser knowledge....

We're happy to have you. WHAT DO YOU KNOW!?

HAHA Thanks for having me! I was shocked at how much Ernie already knew about the cruiser when I met up with him. Pretty much everything I know has already been talked about on this forum as I am noticing sifting through the threads. I turned the FJ back in today to Toyota and let them know that I want one for a project vehicle for 4WDSU mag. Hopefully, I will be able to get one that we can build up in the mag and also have a a new driver :) It was a really fun vehicle.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are those mirrors a protptype off an 18 wheeler? Jesus...those things are huge!!! Does it take that much to see around the c pillar ??!??!
Now I see why there has been so much talk about them. You could turn those things horizontal and probably float !!!

But I still love it !! :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Jordan - WELCOME!

Where is the follow-up to the Jasper Engines Long-Block Rebuild (IHC 392V8) back in Novembers 4WD&SU? (lol)

Sorry... don't mean to put you to work here, but sure would like to see more on that IHC 392V8 Jasper is putting together.

Enjoy the FJC buzzz... Hoping to make one my daily driver next year (price premitting?)

Cheers!

·
Registered
109 Posts
bubbahotep said:
Are those mirrors a protptype off an 18 wheeler? Jesus...those things are huge!!! Does it take that much to see around the c pillar ??!??!
Now I see why there has been so much talk about them. You could turn those things horizontal and probably float !!!

But I still love it !! :p
The mirrors are rather large! The blind spots are definitely a downer for the vehicle but really there wasnt much more I didnt care for. All around I had a really good time and didnt feel under powered at all or that the vehicle wasnt capable of taking on whatever I threw at it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
HunkerDown said:
Hey Jordan - WELCOME!

Where is the follow-up to the Jasper Engines Long-Block Rebuild (IHC 392V8) back in Novembers 4WD&SU? (lol)

Sorry... don't mean to put you to work here, but sure would like to see more on that IHC 392V8 Jasper is putting together.

Enjoy the FJC buzzz... Hoping to make one my daily driver next year (price premitting?)

Cheers!

haha not sure I will have to ask and find out for you :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jordansrealm said:
The mirrors are rather large! The blind spots are definitely a downer for the vehicle but really there wasnt much more I didnt care for. All around I had a really good time and didnt feel under powered at all or that the vehicle wasnt capable of taking on whatever I threw at it!

Besides all the hype of off-road capabilities,
what about its handling on the regular pavement.

-top heavy ?
- wide on the road ??
-acceleration ??
we have a lot of daily driver that are a little intimadated (maybe embarassed)
to ask about the Fj handling off the trail ....

·
Registered
109 Posts
bubbahotep said:
Besides all the hype of off-road capabilities,
what about its handling on the regular pavement.

-top heavy ?
- wide on the road ??
-acceleration ??
we have a lot of daily driver that are a little intimadated (maybe embarassed)
to ask about the Fj handling off the trail ....
I was just telling my friend that I was impressed with it both on and off the road. When I review a vehicle for either of my magazines knowing they are both off-road related, I still always include on-road driving. Face it, we all would like be sure whatever we drive as 'dirt' enthusiasts will perform well on the trail but if it drives like crap on the road we wouldnt buy it!

I never felt the feeling of the FJ being top heavy. The width was welcomed in the corners as the handling was very tight and I didnt feel like as I moved through a corner the car followed behind me. It always moved as one unit, if you know what I mean. The turning radius was phenomenal, I was making u-turns barely touching 2 lanes. All of us would like to see a big HP and Torque number coming out of the FJ but the 4.0L V-6 was plenty. I never felt like it was lacking anything climbing hills, navigating through trails, getting in and out of obstacles or changing lanes on the freeway.

I didnt care for the blind spots produced by the design. Seeing out the rear view mirror with the tiny back window or looking out the side back windows to change lanes was very tough. It would have been nice to see a little more glass on the back sides and less body paneling. I didnt care for the oversized mirrors or the oversized rear brake lights. The big and bulky feeling of the FJ was carried throughout the inside as well with the large control knobs, door handles both inside and out, auto shifter, etc... They are definitely trying to tackle the youth market here. It wont be for everyone but I have a feeling it will be for many.

(excuse my random typing errors tonight, 8 hours of writing will do that to you)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Introductions are in order......

Group, I wan't you to meet "source".....aka "Jordansrealm" or as I like to call him, "my new best friend!!" :D :D :D

Jordan, Meet the group!!!!! I didn't want to give you up, but I wasn't able to keep too much secret from my "Buds".

OK, Since its out in the open, open season on questions. BTW, Jordan, hope you checked out the pics in the gallery. Not bad, for an amateur, huh?

·
Registered
109 Posts
EJR said:
Introductions are in order......

Group, I wan't you to meet "source".....aka "Jordansrealm" or as I like to call him, "my new best friend!!" :D :D :D

Jordan, Meet the group!!!!! I didn't want to give you up, but I wasn't able to keep too much secret from my "Buds".

OK, Since its out in the open, open season on questions. BTW, Jordan, hope you checked out the pics in the gallery. Not bad, for an amateur, huh?
Hey Ernie good to meet you the other day and glad I could share one of my perks as an editor with someone like you!

I dig your pics but the one of you in the FJ best! :)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, cuz you took it!!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Percy, Pancho, you paying attention!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jordan -

Do you happen to know if the FJC manual or automatic can be towed 4-wheels-down? (as in behind a motorhome) I'm sure many magazine readers would like to know that. Not sure if the 4x4 setup is identical to any other current Toyota model to compare it to (?). I'm hoping the manual can be towed like the older 4-Runners. If you don't already know, do you have a contact you can ask?

I can't think of a better "toad" for the adventurous types with motorhomes that like to set up base camps and wheel out of them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
HunkerDown said:
Jordan -

Do you happen to know if the FJC manual or automatic can be towed 4-wheels-down? (as in behind a motorhome) I'm sure many magazine readers would like to know that. Not sure if the 4x4 setup is identical to any other current Toyota model to compare it to (?). I'm hoping the manual can be towed like the older 4-Runners. If you don't already know, do you have a contact you can ask?

I can't think of a better "toad" for the adventurous types with motorhomes that like to set up base camps and wheel out of them.
Dont know off hand but good question. I will make a call tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts