Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming that before the running boards are installed the threads are coated with paint. If I remove the boards to install rock rails, whats the best way to re-protect the exposed metal?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Or run the bolts back in until you mount the rock rails, I had to run a tap into mine prior to installing rock rails to remove paint so the threads would run in well

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 on putting grease on the original running board bolts and putting them right back in there.

Find the other thread(s) on installing those rock sliders, there may be some helpful info for you in there.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Grease + bolts FTW

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grease/bolts sounds good. I was planning on selling the running boards, so I'll find some bolts first.

I had assumed that the running boards are bolted to the body, and the rock rails are bolted to the frame. Is this correct? (Otherwise I don't need to worry about it)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I had assumed that the running boards are bolted to the body, and the rock rails are bolted to the frame. Is this correct? (Otherwise I don't need to worry about it)
that is correct

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Put the running board bolts back in. That's how FJ's arrive from the factory. Mine came with running boards that I had them remove and trade for Rock Rails...they swiped my bolts...had to go back and get them as leaving the holes open would not be good. If you have already gotten rid of the bolts, buy a new set from Toyota or get a set of stainless steel bolts at any decent hardware store. Most of the fasteners, I've found, are common thread pitches and diameters...available almost anywhere.

·
Registered
367 Posts
x100 for putting the bolts back in. that's what i did. if you'll never use the holes again, you could paint them or pack some putty in them.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I put a dab of RTV under the shoulders of the bolts and a touch on the top couple of threads, then put the original bolts back in.

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
If you leave the bolts out of the holes, you will not be able to drive when it's wet/ford water. Water will get in there. Not good for the longevity of the metal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just picked up some from my local hardware store. I'm glad I came across this thread. I sold my running boards and forgot to replace the bolts with something.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Grease $ Bolt

·
Registered
816 Posts
I ended up selling my Running Boards to the Service Manager at the dealer (he wanted them for his FJ).

Turns out, he already had the bolts, even though his didn't come with Running boards. He told me all FJs come with the bolts like this. So he gave me the bolts back.

So if you ever sell your boards, you shouldn't need to give them any bolts.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. I don't have running boards, but do have what some folks have called "Predator steps/rails" (They were on my 2007 when I purchased it in Oct, 2014). These appear to be bolted to the body, not frame mounted. I'm debating on pulling these off and possibly having them Line-X'd or if I want to instead do some kind of frame mounted rail.

If I pull them, I'd like to get new bolt hardware to replace them, as mine are pretty rusted up. Looks like from looking online, the upper bolt is part # 9008010083 and the lower bolt # is 90119A0062 (please correct if those are incorrect). Problem is that none of the local dealerships have these in stock, and shipping from other places may cost more than the parts.

I can try and take the removed bolts into a local hardware store, but was wondering if anyone had the exact specs on these bolts, that I could use to find them at a local hardware store? I may just opt to have the dealer order them for me depending on whether they charge shipping or not.

Update: I have removed the steps, after spraying down the bolts with liquid wrench last night. Came off fairly easily, and I cleaned the bolts with some Hoppes #9 (yeah, I use that stuff on everything :) ) and then put some anti seize on the bolts and replaced them.

Going to leave the steps off for now, kind of liking this look. May list them on Craigs List and get some real sliders at some point.

Also, do these thread into tac welded nuts in the body like I have heard they do on the frame? Trying to make sure I don't cause any major issues when I try to remove these. I have sprayed them down with some liquid wrench, but again, would rather not damage anything if I really start to wrench on these.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts