Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a xm reciever on my wife's Jimmy but when you shut the motor off the xm unit stayed on. I guessed at the power supply when it was on the Jimmy but now i want it to work properly on th FJ. I have the older head unit that goes from the xm box to the car unit. I have the fm modulator that lets the unit use the antenna and not fm freq waves. So where would i tap for power on the unit? I want it to keep the stations in memory but also want it to turn off when the truck turns off. I've found a few good paths for the antenna on here but if you have a preference post it. Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just did mine today. I used a female cigarette lighter adapter, tapped into the back of the cigarette lighter, then plugged in the supplied cigarrette l ighter adapter into the newly added female slot, behind the panel and hidden away. You have to use the supplied cigarette lighter adapter b/c it has a microprocessor that is necessary to power up your unit. If you just go straight from wire to power, you won't get anything. How do I know? I busted my brains all day trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any power lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did mine today. I used a female cigarette lighter adapter, tapped into the back of the cigarette lighter, then plugged in the supplied cigarrette l ighter adapter into the newly added female slot, behind the panel and hidden away. You have to use the supplied cigarette lighter adapter b/c it has a microprocessor that is necessary to power up your unit. If you just go straight from wire to power, you won't get anything. How do I know? I busted my brains all day trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any power lol.
Thanks for the input. I went another way by adding the mini "add a fuse" to the fuse box and grounded it on the black metal frame around the box. Works fine.But i did use the cigarette lighter via a female cigarette lighter adapter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts