Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for a friend...

So these wheels are supposed to be "16 inch" from everything I've read online. But when I measure them I get 17+"

Yellow Sleeve Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

This is also true of another set of 16" wheels I have on hand. And the ones currently on my truck are supposed to be 17", but they measure 18+".

I'm obviously measuring in the wrong place; so where's the "right" place? :unsure: :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
27 Posts
WHEEL DIAMETER
With the Wheel Diameter, keep in mind that there are two measurements to consider: Overall Wheel Diameter and Actual Wheel Diameter.

When measuring for the Overall diameter, you will want to measure from the outside lip to outside lip of the wheel (Shown by the Green Line in the photo below).
How to Measure your Wheels - How to Measure your Wheels

When measuring for the Actual Diameter, you will want to measure from the inside of the Barrel of the wheel (Shown by the Red Line in the above photo). Example: A wheel with an actual Diameter of 18” will have an overall diameter of around 19.5”.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
3,063 Posts
pretty sure it's stamped on the wheel. that's more than likely a 17"

Reactions: thane

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHEEL DIAMETER
With the Wheel Diameter, keep in mind that there are two measurements to consider: Overall Wheel Diameter and Actual Wheel Diameter.

When measuring for the Overall diameter, you will want to measure from the outside lip to outside lip of the wheel (Shown by the Green Line in the photo below).
How to Measure your Wheels - How to Measure your Wheels

When measuring for the Actual Diameter, you will want to measure from the inside of the Barrel of the wheel (Shown by the Red Line in the above photo). Example: A wheel with an actual Diameter of 18” will have an overall diameter of around 19.5”.
Yes! This is it.

Really the dimension that matters is the "Actual wheel diameter" because that corresponds to the opening on the tire that will fit that wheel.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts